Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]

Go down 
+38
Raymond Riddall
Dustin Lengert
Matthew Hull
François Remmen
Pascal Mikula
Steve Parker
Peter Blom
Lee Simpson
Richard Wilks
Grant Riddall
Ricard Suanya
Karel Marciniszyn
Frank Verplanken
Timo Vermeersch
Scott Urick
Bruno Chacon
Raul Jereb
David Jundt
Michael Drechsler
Martin Lacina
Jacob Fredriksson
David Sabre
Richard Coxon
Yves Plaçais
Alberto Ibañez
Jan Kowalski
Rob Swindells
Adam Hackman
Jason Fitch
Bob Wilson
Greg DellaCella
Austin Ogonoski
Rodrigo Pilenghi
Michal Janak
Juha Bos
Dana Schurer
Bob Holada
Jason White
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 18:28

and i thought 91mexico was hard... :D lol! :yaa: :urgence:

good luck guys!
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 19:45

I just did some laps in the Coyne car. It's quite pleasureable here! Just slow, compared to my '88 March. Did a 13,4 with it. No vices, and with its fuel consumption it could get a good result here too. I will upload my setup to the site, hope Juha finds it useful!
Back to top Go down
Juha Bos
Racing Legend
Juha Bos

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2016-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 20:22

Thanks Jacob, I'll give your setup a try.

I was still working on it, I'm quite slow when it comes to developing a setup.

It's a nice car to drive once you have the suspension set up for this track. The engine soundtrack isn't bad either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rallyfoto.be
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2016-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 21:00

Jacob Fredriksson wrote:
I just did some laps in the Coyne car. It's quite pleasureable here! Just slow, compared to my '88 March. Did a 13,4 with it. No vices, and with its fuel consumption it could get a good result here too. I will upload my setup to the site, hope Juha finds it useful!

Gee Whiz Jacob is there no love within the Machinist Union team? I would hope you'd share any revelations about how to get comfortable at LB with the March86 chassis with your "team mate" :hello:
I suspect my lack of experience with modern cars has a lot to do with being unable to get below 20.
The car understeer's such that my front tires are usually over 200 F but the rears are around 150 F
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 21:03

That's because you are overdriving it at corner entry Bob. Try entering at slower speed and exiting quicker. Really, to go fast here you must actually go slow, even if it sounds absurd.
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 21:05

BoB Holada wrote:
Jacob Fredriksson wrote:

Gee Whiz Jacob    is there no love within the Machinist Union team?   I would hope you'd share any revelations about how to get comfortable at LB with the March86 chassis with your "team mate" :hello:
I suspect my lack of experience with modern cars has a lot to do with being unable to get below 20.  
The car understeer's such that my front tires are usually over 200 F but the rears are around 150 F

Ah! I'll see what I can do tomorrow. I thought the "regular" 86C handled pretty well in pre-season testing, and with I've learned with the Coyne car I should be able to throw something up!
Back to top Go down
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 21:58

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
That's because you are overdriving it at corner entry Bob. Try entering at slower speed and exiting quicker. Really, to go fast here you must actually go slow, even if it sounds absurd.

Yes Alberto I'm pretty sure you are right about me overdriving into the corners.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 16:55

Our good friend Bob Wilson is recovering from a medical issue he experienced this week. During his recuperation, the #2 Lola will be offered as a one-off for Long Beach.  We are happy to report that Bob is improving, and we are hoping he will have a smooth recovery.  
We would ask all of you to please keep him in your thoughts. Thank you.
:chinois:
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 17:11

Can i ? #2

Hope Bob can get well soon, great HSO racer with tons of help driving these ovals. Hope to finish high with his car :hello:

Last edited by Jan Kowalski on Thu 6 Apr 2017 - 17:20; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 17:11

Jan Kowalski wrote:
Can i ? #2

ok
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 18:29

LOL Jan do you sleep or are you always lurking around the forum with the fin over the surface lol!

Glad to see you on track in any case  :top:
Back to top Go down
Bruno Chacon
Experienced Driver
Bruno Chacon

Number of posts : 476
Registration date : 2017-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 18:44

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
LOL Jan do you sleep or are you always lurking around the forum with the fin over the surface lol!

No chance for others waiting
Back to top Go down
Peter Blom
Pro Driver
Peter Blom

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 19:30

Alberto Ibañez wrote:

and thx to HSO we now all know that the internet in Central-Eastern-Europe is faster then we have in Western-Europe Shocked
Our Central-Eastern friends are mostly quicker making a sign up post then we are :jp:
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 20:17

Alberto Ibañez wrote:

I am only working at night, and writing my thesis during the day, so i am actually lurking around during my breaks :D

happy to have a car
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 20:27

Jan Kowalski wrote:
Can i ? #2

Hope Bob can get well soon, great HSO racer with tons of help driving these ovals. Hope to finish high with his car :hello:

How many Jans are tracking this topic?
Back to top Go down
Matthew Hull
Club Driver
Matthew Hull

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2017-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 20:30

Jason White wrote:
Our good friend Bob Wilson is recovering from a medical issue he experienced this week. During his recuperation, the #2 Lola will be offered as a one-off for Long Beach.  We are happy to report that Bob is improving, and we are hoping he will have a smooth recovery.  

Real sorry to hear that but it's great he's on the mend. Lovely bloke.
Back to top Go down
Steve Parker
Racing Legend
Steve Parker

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 22:07

Matthew Hull wrote:
Jason White wrote:

Real sorry to hear that but it's great he's on the mend. Lovely bloke.

+1
Back to top Go down
Juha Bos
Racing Legend
Juha Bos

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 6 Apr 2017 - 22:29

I'm glad to read that Bob's improving. Hopefully we'll have him back among us soon. I can only join the others in saying he's a great guy.
Back to top Go down
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 7 Apr 2017 - 13:09

Alberto Ibañez wrote:

Well Alberto your analysis only covered half of the problem. Another problem that I found yesterday is that I had been using way to much steering. I am not use to having such a quick steering ratio. In GPL the steering adjustment actually changes the steering ratio of the car. I would follow the general guideline to setup my car to use a large amount of steering for the tightest turn. And that is the way I've been racing for the last 10 years. At the hairpin at Long Beach I had my wheel cranked all the way to the right. And I couldn't figure out why the car could barely make it through without brushing the wall. :doh:
So I've seen the error in way. But it'll take a bit of practice to get use to the difference.
So the steering adjustment in rFactor doesn't change the steering ratio of the car. My initial guess is that if I want it to be less "twichy" I should use a lower number?
Back to top Go down
Juha Bos
Racing Legend
Juha Bos

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 7 Apr 2017 - 15:38

That's it Bob. Your car will make it round the final hairpin easier if your ratio is at 30, instead of 15 where you'll run out of lock because your wheels don't turn enough.

On ovals I run a much lower ratio (15) and 540° instead of 360° to avoid scrubbing too much speed by turning a fraction too much. It's a matter of personal preference though.
Back to top Go down
Austin Ogonoski
Rookie
Austin Ogonoski

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2017-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 7 Apr 2017 - 19:04

The extra five tenths I've pulled on Richard are all thanks to shifting.

Be creative with what gears you use, and where. For the longest time I was stuck, then tried something different with my shift points and it worked.
Back to top Go down
http://pretendracecars.net
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Apr 2017 - 12:28

Is blipping and lifting necessary modwise? Driving it like F1 1991 now, but perhaps it would be easier and faster i guess.
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Apr 2017 - 13:33

Its a manual straight cog gearbox, like the F1 91 ones.
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Apr 2017 - 15:56

Doesn't hurt if you do, the effect is not as harsh as in the F1 '91 mod, though.
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 8 Apr 2017 - 18:07

Lifting, yes. Blipping isn't really necessary unless you're skipping gears. if you're going down sequentially you should be fine, if you're dropping 6th to 4th and down you'll need to give it a blip.

Real quick addendum here, if you're going down through the box like a modern F1 car,, i.e. slammin through them quickly, then you'll probably need to give it a blip at the lower ends.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next