Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]

Go down 
+38
Raymond Riddall
Dustin Lengert
Matthew Hull
François Remmen
Pascal Mikula
Steve Parker
Peter Blom
Lee Simpson
Richard Wilks
Grant Riddall
Ricard Suanya
Karel Marciniszyn
Frank Verplanken
Timo Vermeersch
Scott Urick
Bruno Chacon
Raul Jereb
David Jundt
Michael Drechsler
Martin Lacina
Jacob Fredriksson
David Sabre
Richard Coxon
Yves Plaçais
Alberto Ibañez
Jan Kowalski
Rob Swindells
Adam Hackman
Jason Fitch
Bob Wilson
Greg DellaCella
Austin Ogonoski
Rodrigo Pilenghi
Michal Janak
Juha Bos
Dana Schurer
Bob Holada
Jason White
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Number of posts : 13574
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 11:56

Timo Vermeersch wrote:
About Montjuic: did we ever do a GPL 1969 championship here?Timo

No we only used it once I think, for the 1972 Tour de France with HGTTC. We hated the 1969 mod of GPL so the 1969 F1 season was never an option here Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://historicsimracing.org/en/index
Timo Vermeersch
Racing Legend
Timo Vermeersch

Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 11:57

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
I'm certainly not going to try to defend the Valencia circuit (AKA the snooze fest Sleep ) in this discussion  :hihi:

Valencia as such is a great city though: the beach at la Malvrosa or Saler, the old city, sipping Aqua di Valencia's... Great great place.

And probably the only city in the world to have both a street course and a permanent circuit.

Timo
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 12:09

Timo Vermeersch wrote:
And probably the only city in the world to have both a street course and a permanent circuit.Timo

There have been several in the past and are still a few around like Pau (street + Pau-Arnos) for instance Wink.
Back to top Go down
Juha Bos
Racing Legend
Juha Bos

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2016-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 12:23

Did someone ever create the original Vila Real for rFactor? Even in the 80s it looked quite primitive with spectators lining up to watch from their front doors.

The footage at 9.18, you wouldn't want to stand there do you? :D

Back to top Go down
http://www.rallyfoto.be
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 12:28

I think it was converted from GPL ? Although the 1980s version might be a shorter layout than the one used in the 1960s and 1970s and featured in GPL I'm not sure. Some awesome races, particularly for 2-litre sportscars, back in the day there :top:
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 12:37

My father raced there. Smile
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 12:42

Nice :top: Was that in the 1970s ? The portuguese scene was great back then, with lots of races on home soil and in the African colonies as well.
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 12:53

In 1986 even. Smile but you are correct about the colonies, he was born in Angola and spent his youth there and there were many high profile races.
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 15:31

That kind of courses are definitely not my favourites. And they were all to popular in the US back in these days.
Back to top Go down
Karel Marciniszyn
Pro Driver
Karel Marciniszyn

Number of posts : 954
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 16:37

funny is that even in our country there was quite a number of town circuits in the past...even here in my town there were some motorcycle racing in sixties and seventies. Now in Brno they want to start one tradition again - race between exibithion grounds...I always like these simple circuits for racing

Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 BVV-trat

btw. I am affreid I am quite off topic...so..any ride for me??? lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://f-easter.webnode.cz/
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 16:41

That's how every circuit should be made : a few hay balls to protect the trees and lamposts from being damaged, a bit of black & white paint on the kerbs, throw in a good viewing spot for timing and scoring, a couple of marshall posts here and a grandstand or two there, and off you go ! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2016-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 16:53

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
, softer suspension and crank up the wings as necessary.

I have a question about wings. I'm use to changing springs, bars, tire pressures, camber and shocks to change balance and grip.
Its not clear to me when to start cranking on the wings. Besides adding drag I've also observed that increasing the wing will also heat up the tires. Is this correct? Is the fine tuning done with the bars first and then the wings? In theory I know its foolish to change multiple components because it makes it very difficult to determine which change helped and which change didn't help. I'm not sure when to adjust the wings.
Back to top Go down
Michal Janak
Racing Legend
Michal Janak

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 16:57

because this is road circiut i am interested in drive too
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 17:30

BoB Holada wrote:
Alberto Ibañez wrote:
, softer suspension and crank up the wings as necessary.

I have a question about wings.  I'm use to changing springs, bars, tire pressures, camber and shocks to change balance and grip.
Its not clear to me when to start cranking on the wings. Besides adding drag I've also observed that increasing the wing will also heat up the tires.  Is this correct?   Is the fine tuning done with the bars first and then the wings?   In theory I know its foolish to change multiple components because it makes it very difficult to determine which change helped and which change didn't help. I'm not sure when to adjust the wings.

Wings is what I touch the most and what I've found makes the biggest difference. It is what I fine tune first of all. If understeer, more front. If oversteer, more rear. It is when you are obviously too slow down the straights that things get tricky. Then you have to lower the wings, especially the rear wing, and find another way to get driveability.

But always: if you are spinning out too much, less rear anti-rollbar, more rear wing. Driveability and not causing accidents is priority #1. Understeer you can live with.

That goes for everyone in this field. This is a tight track, I don't want racing time wasted behind the safety car or being caught up in someone else's BS.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 18:02

Wings -and aero in general- matter when you are going at higher speeds, say 80 MPH and above. Below that speed, it's mostly suspension. So if you are having traction or balance problems in the hairpin, or at turns 1 and 2, or even at the new inside section, it is mostly suspension what can help you. That is not to say that aero is not relevant. It is, but once you have the proper aero balance for high speed, whatever shortcomings appear at slow speed you must solve working with the suspension. At high speeds the wings rule, and suspension work will almost be unnoticeable there (Except at ovals) but at slow speeds you bet it has a clear effect.
Back to top Go down
Lee Simpson
Club Driver

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2015-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 20:08

I'm in.
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 22:46

Frank Verplanken wrote:
That's how every circuit should be made : a few hay balls to protect the trees and lamposts from being damaged, a bit of black & white paint on the kerbs, throw in a good viewing spot for timing and scoring, a couple of marshall posts here and a grandstand or two there, and off you go ! Twisted Evil

+1
Back to top Go down
Peter Blom
Pro Driver
Peter Blom

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 4 Apr 2017 - 23:24

:conduit: But I had to postpone an easter family dinner for it. Next time it should be given more thought. Easter and Christmas should not be raceweekends imo :bangry:
Back to top Go down
Steve Parker
Racing Legend
Steve Parker

Number of posts : 2000
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 9:57

:conduit: :top: Present
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

Number of posts : 1189
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 10:17

Peter Blom wrote:
:conduit:     But I had to postpone an easter family dinner for it. Next time it should be given more thought. Easter and Christmas should not be raceweekends imo :bangry:

Awwwh why did you postpone the family dinner? I could have had your car ;-;
Back to top Go down
http://classicmotorsporthub.boards.net
Peter Blom
Pro Driver
Peter Blom

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 14:15

Pascal Mikula wrote:
Peter Blom wrote:
:conduit:     But I had to postpone an easter family dinner for it. Next time it should be given more thought. Easter and Christmas should not be raceweekends imo :bangry:

I have a contract with March...not with my family :rigol:
Back to top Go down
Karel Marciniszyn
Pro Driver
Karel Marciniszyn

Number of posts : 954
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 15:22

Peter Blom wrote:
Pascal Mikula wrote:
Peter Blom wrote:

you are brave man!! without contract (even only spoken) I would never come back home lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://f-easter.webnode.cz/
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 15:35

Peter Blom wrote:
Pascal Mikula wrote:
Peter Blom wrote:

Don't forget your contract with Jiffy cake mix  :slurp:

Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 JFW8ZW
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 16:36

Quote :
without contract (even only spoken) I would never come back home

You? You don't even have a contract with your girl as you are not married :rigol:
Back to top Go down
Peter Blom
Pro Driver
Peter Blom

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 5 Apr 2017 - 17:27

Jason White wrote:
Peter Blom wrote:
Pascal Mikula wrote:
Peter Blom wrote:

Don't forget your contract with Jiffy cake mix  :slurp:

Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 JFW8ZW

True Jason but to give some inside info on my relationship with the Jiffy company: I made some critical remarks on their cake products on HSO Television Network...50/50 chance they are going to terminate my contract! Not to worried by that...they do not pay very well :antoine:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]   Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th] - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round 2 - Grand Prix of Long Beach [Apr 16th]
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next