Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)

Go down 
+34
Ben Paulet
Glenn Corliss
David Jaques
Simon Wattman
Raul Jereb
Claudio Navonne
Scott Urick
Arturo Pereira
Jonatan Acerclinth
Gérard Ryon
Richard Wilks
Petr Hlavac
Michal Janak
Jukka Närhi
Raymond Riddall
Peter Blom
Lee Simpson
Yves Plaçais
Juha Bos
Ludovic Tiengou
François Remmen
Mick Chapman
James Knowles
Michael Drechsler
Jacob Fredriksson
David Sabre
Alberto Ibañez
Richard Coxon
Jan Kowalski
Martin Lacina
Mike Becnel
Dana Schurer
Jason Fitch
Jason White
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Dana Schurer
Experienced Driver
Dana Schurer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2015-04-19

Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 23:48

Michael Drechsler wrote:
Question for the oval pros: would you develop your race setup with same, highter or lower downforce level compared to qualification?
More front wing, the same or less rear.

You'll spend much of the race in other cars' dirty air so the most important thing is tuning for a more forward-biased aero balance to counteract the understeer that comes from following.

In lieu of others on the server to test with, practice races with AI on the offline trainer track are an efficient way to develop a safe and comfortable setup. And, when choosing wing settings at Indy, always choose handling over straight line speed.

Last edited by Dana Schurer on Tue 17 May 2016 - 0:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arturo Pereira
Club Driver

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 0:37

I am very sorry, but my wife scheduled a family event next Sunday at noon and I doubt I will be ready to go at 3pm local time. Being in doubt, I would suggest to get #64 off the starting grid Sad
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 0:48

Arturo Pereira wrote:
I am very sorry, but my wife scheduled a family event next Sunday at noon and I doubt I will be ready to go at 3pm local time. Being in doubt, I would suggest to get #64 off the starting grid Sad

Sorry to hear this Arturo. Crying or Very sad
But thank you for the heads up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
James Knowles
Pro Driver
James Knowles

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2012-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 2:08

Arturo Pereira wrote:

Very sorry AP....there will be other races my friend....

I think the good thing is that you absence will allow fellow countryman Claudio on the grid Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 4:22

On the difference between dedicated and committed, Junior Johnson once explained, "Take a look at your bacon and eggs for breakfast. The chicken was dedicated, the pig was committed." pig

I'm committed!

But I do have one question on "pit exit". The rules state that a driver must keep all four wheels below the yellow and white lines until the "exit of Turn Two". Does that mean "the point at which the inside edge of the track becomes a straight line" or "the point at which the yellow line stops, leaving only the white line shortly before the apron ends and the infield grass tapers out to the tracks edge"?

I just don't want to assume anything and get in trouble during the race or upon a difference in post-race interpretation.

The FNG thanks you for your clarification in advance!
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 4:44

Where can I find the Trainer Track?
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 4:45

Jason Fitch wrote:

Where can I find the Trainer Track?

http://adf.ly/246619/http://www.mediafire.com/download/d07af3w8ivoajza/1973_indy_trainer.rar

EDIT: It is also included with the track download file in the first post.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 4:52

Scott Urick wrote:
But I do have one question on "pit exit". The rules state that a driver must keep all four wheels below the yellow and white lines until the "exit of Turn Two". Does that mean "the point at which the inside edge of the track becomes a straight line" or "the point at which the yellow line stops, leaving only the white line shortly before the apron ends and the infield grass tapers out to the tracks edge"?

The point at which the inside edge of the track becomes straight is sufficient.  :top:
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 8:00

Thank you very much, JW! :hello:

Any chance of getting the "Hot Laps" page reset so we can size up each others' race setups? (Don't mean to be high-maintenance. Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 8:26

I think that the Eagle setup I posted should be a good base to start with for Gurney's customers. Fill it up, raise the rear right to 4.8-5 inches and the rear left to 4.4-4.5 inches, reduce camber all around some 0.2 degrees and it should be a decent base. Fine tune with front wing and front roll bar for understeer/oversteer balance.

HINT: Some practice runs with 4x fuel and 4x tire use will show you in just 10 laps how the car will change over a whole stint. Be sure there is not too much oversteer at the end of it. 

BTW those with the most powerful Offenhauser will be hard pressed to do just 5 stops on 90 inches of boost, so be sure that your 3rd gear is racing gear and 4th gives better mileage or you will be looking at a 6th stop since there are no caution laps.

Quote :
Any chance of getting the "Hot Laps" page reset so we can size up each others' race setups?

You are looking at high 47s at the beginning of the stint once tires are warm and around mid 46s towards the end of the stint.
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 8:51

What Front Wing stagger should i use for race? I have no idea about these things Smile
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 9:11

Same as qualy should be OK.
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 9:22

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Same as qualy should be OK.

I had it on minimum. Are other setting is recommended?
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 9:27

Medium is better here normally. I recommend in general Minimum for Texas and Michigan (reduces sensitivity), Medium for Indy, Ontario and Trenton and Maximum for Milwaukee and Phoenix. At short tracks you go soft with suspension and the chassis moves more up and down, so you can more easily lift the front left under acceleration - the front wing stagger helps compensating that by loading that wheel more.

But other combinations may work better, it will mostly depend on the setup, steering angle and your own preference about how the car shall drive.
Back to top Go down
Claudio Navonne
Club Driver
Claudio Navonne

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2015-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 10:00

I´m sorry for you Arturo, this is a race for you.
I´m in.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 13:02

Paint my name in green, thank you.
Back to top Go down
Simon Wattman
Experienced Driver
Simon Wattman

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2012-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 14:20

:conduit:
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 15:13

Ragazze et ragazzi, I have few questions...

1. is it possible to reset the HOTLAPS table, it is very helpfull to me to compare my times to others, and to know how Im standing..

2. I started to convert my quali setup to race... well, is it bad, or is it tolerable, to have the engine in yellow all the time? Engine wear is not droping, but Im affraid some invisible damage will occure... your suggestions??

For the moment I have quite stable and user friendly car to drive, but Im some 2,5sec off the qualy times, is that normal (with full tank), or should I go better than that?

thank you

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 15:17

Alberto Ibañez wrote:

You are looking at high 47s at the beginning of the stint once tires are warm and around mid 46s towards the end of the stint.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 15:18

Raul Jereb wrote:
is it possible to reset the HOTLAPS table, it is very helpfull to me to compare my times to others, and to know how Im standing..

Scott also asked about this (sry I forgot to reply  Embarassed)  and unfortunately, no. The only way we can reset the hotlaps would be to change the rfm, and we don't want to introduce a new rfm at this point.

In terms of engine life, may I ask what boost level and radiator setting are you using?  Also, what is the peak rpm at the end of a long straight?
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 15:25

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Alberto Ibañez wrote:

Argh, sorry, Ive overseen that somehow...
well, Im far from that Sad
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 15:26

Jason White wrote:
Raul Jereb wrote:
is it possible to reset the HOTLAPS table, it is very helpfull to me to compare my times to others, and to know how Im standing..

Scott also asked about this (sry I forgot to reply  Embarassed)  and unfortunately, no. The only way we can reset the hotlaps would be to change the rfm, and we don't want to introduce a new rfm at this point.

In terms of engine life, may I ask what boost level and radiator setting are you using?  Also, what is the peak rpm at the end of a long straight?

Im at 90inch boost, and 4 radiator, in 3rd i reach near 9k at the end of the straight. Im trying this becose thinking of using the 4th while driving behind other cars.... scratch
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 15:37

For your car high 46s at the end of the stint and high 48s at the beginning is OK. Once you are in traffic you will actually be able to stay with quicker cars thanks to the draft, just be sure not to lose them in corners  Wink
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 16:07

Are the Foyt engines more reliable than the Offys? Will 90 inches really survive the whole race?
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 16:09

Jacob Fredriksson wrote:
Are the Foyt engines more reliable than the Offys? Will 90 inches really survive the whole race?

The key will be keeping the revs under 9000 during the race.  If you are peaking at 9000 when running alone, that means you will be overreving in a slipstream, which is not good. The Foyt will get better fuel economy than the Offy, so that should be a consideration when you are setting up the car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)   Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round 4 - Indianapolis (May 22nd)
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next