Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]

Go down 
+43
Sven de Vries
Simon Wattman
Jason White
David Jaques
Jorge Alonso
Alberto Ibañez
Mark Holdampf
Paul Nadeau
Ben Paulet
Yves Plaçais
Gérard Ryon
Jean-louis Petillot
Hervé Sabathé
Ruben Freitas
Jean-François Bovy
Daniel Gomez
Nicola Musolino
Damian Baldi
Michael Labelle
Jukka Närhi
Arnaud Plum
Vito Boffa
Martin Audran
Francis Houard
Greg Hunt
Frank Verplanken
Samuli Leinonen
Tom Mountjoy
Richard Coxon
Bernard Jeanmart
Jonatan Acerclinth
Mike Becnel
Carl Larrad
Antoine de Mautor
Mike Bishop
David Jundt
Imre Bende
Ricard Suanya
Tiago Malafaya
Jean-Marie Placais
Joel Sixou
Alessio Campigotto
Guillaume Siebert
47 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Mike Becnel
Racing Legend
Mike Becnel

Number of posts : 4741
Registration date : 2012-06-24

1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 5 May 2013 - 23:54

Thanks again for the setup Damian. My transmission was totally set wrong prior to seeing yours.
Back to top Go down
David Jundt
Racing Legend
David Jundt

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 5 May 2013 - 23:59

Wing 1? I did. Then again, it was Tiago's setup. But you see, I never had big problems in R2 with it, so a thanks to Tiago once again :clap: :top:
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/David-Jundt-450976341729894/
Tiago Malafaya
Racing Legend
Tiago Malafaya

Number of posts : 3384
Registration date : 2008-10-05

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 2:28

No issues here with wing 1 in the C9 :hello:
Back to top Go down
Damian Baldi
Club Driver
Damian Baldi

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2013-04-24

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 3:10

So....when and where is the next race? Spa? Suzuka? Dijon? Fuji? :conduit: may be Le Mans muahahah

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 3:11

What a fun couple of races!

It was a dogfight in first 10+ laps of race 1 between the top 5 of us. I was just keeping up by using the draft, but I would still fall back on the straight even after being tucked up behind another car. Had some fortune when others tangled with each other. After getting to 2nd, I found myself catching the leader slightly, but I made a small mistake that cost me 2 seconds, but I don't think it mattered in the end.

Race 2 was almost as intense in the first few laps. Had some more fortune when the 2 in front of me got together and I was able to take 2nd place again. Kiss and I traded the lead a few times. Then that big wreck happened on the front straight with 2 to go. Kiss slowed down and I went by, but then someone ran across the track and I hit them. I don't know who that was, but try to hold the brake next time. I could used more caution myself, but I had to take the opportunity. My only chance of winning overall was to get ahead of Kiss and lead by 1.5 seconds.

Rear wing 1 was no problem, had to with this car. Wink Also, I ran boost 5 the whole time and still had a few laps extra after starting with a full tank.

You guys did an awesome job with these cars! I love them.
Back to top Go down
Damian Baldi
Club Driver
Damian Baldi

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 3:49

Rocky Calabrese wrote:

I was just keeping up by using the draft, but I would still fall back on the straight even after being tucked up behind another car.

This is one of the few things I think about the MOD is not totally right, "the draft". I like that it "hook" when you are really close to the other car (that's good for racing in my opinion), but the effect looks too weak.

When I was part of the GPL MOD 65 test drive, there was a huge discusion about the draft. It was all about to make it accurated to real life, but on the other side it was the "gaming effect", if it would engage or hook from too far, or if the draft effect would be too notorious. Those cars where no aerodinamic compared to these, so I don't know how the effect would be.

I in love with the MOD, I can't stop thinking about an endurance race, I feel like an idiot hahaha

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 7:19

Quote :
This is one of the few things I think about the MOD is not totally right, "the draft". I like that it "hook" when you are really close to the other car (that's good for racing in my opinion), but the effect looks too weak.

Yes, that's something to think about. These cars had such elaborated aerodynamics that they really blew a "hole through the air" so possibly the draft effect should be heavier. However, the turbulence would also be considerable :hum:
Back to top Go down
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
Guillaume Siebert

Number of posts : 13827
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 8:16

Damian Baldi wrote:
So....when and where is the next race? Spa? Suzuka? Dijon? Fuji? :conduit: may be Le Mans muahahah

We already raced the Fuji 1000km earlier this year. :jp:
Back to top Go down
Damian Baldi
Club Driver
Damian Baldi

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 13:56

Guillaume Siebert wrote:
Damian Baldi wrote:

We already raced the Fuji 1000km earlier this year. :jp:

These cars need a BIG track to stretch his legs....something like Monza, Spa, Le Mans, Dijon, or a track like the one we raced last month (Linas), a good version of Silverstone, there are lot of options. The key is to find a track where the hands pay more than the engine.

Back to top Go down
Ricard Suanya
Experienced Driver
Ricard Suanya

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2013-03-28

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 14:48

Wing 2 for me last night, the sauber had a nice top speed anyway, so I could go with a bit more wing than others. The bad side of the mighty sauber were the crappy brakes it had. In every braking zone everyone closed up even if I braked as late as I could. I put the boost in 3 all the race, turning it up to 5 when I tried to overtake or hold position.

Anyway, race 1 was brutally exhausting in the first half, these cars really do make me sweat! It was a very hard fight between the top 4-5, with many spectacular moments, lapping drivers at crazy speeds affraid , many times I felt it was gonna end in trouble, and a bit later, Yves, with the ultra fast Jag, outbraked me (once more) in T1, I tried to hold my position from the outside, but we had a bit of contact and Yves spun into the grass. :doh: I let Rocky and Balazs escape while I waited for Yves to return, but he didn't come back, so I was left alone in 3rd place.

Race 2 was starting like the first one, I knew Balazs would open a gap if I didn't stop him. I tried to overtake him in T1, but the shitty brakes of the Sauber made me go too long and I hit him, :doh: he didn't lose much time, but I lost a few seconds. I was very tired and a few laps later I crashed when I was pushing hard to catch the leaders, and decided to give up and press ESC. Sleep

All in all a very nice event, gratz to Rocky and Balazs, they were very very fast. And sorry to Yves and Balazs again for my "optimistic" moves at T1. Embarassed

See you on more open events. :conduit:
Back to top Go down
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
Guillaume Siebert

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 15:12

Damian Baldi wrote:
The key is to find a track where the hands pay more than the engine.
And a track where those cars really raced in 1987 What a Face
Back to top Go down
Damian Baldi
Club Driver
Damian Baldi

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 15:43

Guillaume Siebert wrote:
Damian Baldi wrote:
The key is to find a track where the hands pay more than the engine.
And a track where those cars really raced in 1987 What a Face

But we are in May not in November ! :langue:
Back to top Go down
Yves Plaçais
Racing Legend
Yves Plaçais

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 16:11

Ricard Suanya wrote:
but we had a bit of contact and Yves spun into the grass. :doh: I let Rocky and Balazs escape while I waited for Yves to return, but he didn't come back,

Thx for waiting, Ricard Wink , but my front wing was totally destroyed. Sad

Ricard Suanya wrote:
And sorry to Yves and Balazs again for my "optimistic" moves at T1.

No Problem, Ricard, that's the race ! Wink

Last edited by Yves Plaçais on Tue 7 May 2013 - 8:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 6 May 2013 - 23:59

Damian Baldi wrote:
Rocky Calabrese wrote:

I was just keeping up by using the draft, but I would still fall back on the straight even after being tucked up behind another car.

When I was part of the GPL MOD 65 test drive, there was a huge discusion about the draft. It was all about to make it accurated to real life, but on the other side it was the "gaming effect", if it would engage or hook from too far, or if the draft effect would be too notorious. Those cars where no aerodinamic compared to these, so I don't know how the effect would be.

I in love with the MOD, I can't stop thinking about an endurance race, I feel like an idiot hahaha

I actually think that the draft is fine. I can keep up with a 2.9 Porsche if I am close enough, but not against a 3.0, Jag or Merc, which is understandable to me. The 2.8 is also slightly heavier. Compared to the 3.0, the 2.8 is 50HP down and 50K heavier. So, I don't really expect to keep up with a 3.0, especially if we have close to the same rear wing. But I wouldn't mind if the draft was bigger! Smile

These cars also make a lot of their downforce from underneath the car, not sure how that affects the "hole" the punch through the air.
Back to top Go down
Antoine de Mautor
League Owner
Antoine de Mautor

Number of posts : 3617

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 0:27

Great result for me last night, and good fun on the track with this car :top:

Had some great battles with Damian and Frank, among others :chinois: I had been a bit too conservative with a rear wing set on 2 instead of one, and was paying the price in the start/finish line. :doh:

Poor behaviour by a few lappers, uncharacteristically, at some point Gerard (who was two laps down!), was trying to overtake JF who was one lap ahead of him Shocked What are you doing seriously ? Then I saw three cars spinning in the straightaway throughout the race, wtf Shocked I guess these cars are a bit too much for some to handle...

Damian really deserved that podium finish, but he was caught in one of these situation, bad luck.

Grats to all finishers, and especially Balasz for te win and Rocky for his incredible speed :top:
Back to top Go down
http://files.historicsimracing.org/
Jonatan Acerclinth
Racing Legend
Jonatan Acerclinth

Number of posts : 1837
Registration date : 2012-12-10

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 2:51

Rocky Calabrese wrote:
Damian Baldi wrote:
Rocky Calabrese wrote:

I actually think that the draft is fine. I can keep up with a 2.9 Porsche if I am close enough, but not against a 3.0, Jag or Merc, which is understandable to me. The 2.8 is also slightly heavier. Compared to the 3.0, the 2.8 is 50HP down and 50K heavier. So, I don't really expect to keep up with a 3.0, especially if we have close to the same rear wing. But I wouldn't mind if the draft was bigger! Smile

These cars also make a lot of their downforce from underneath the car, not sure how that affects the "hole" the punch through the air.
In the Lancia I wasn't expecting to keep up with anyone in the draft and I can tell you, I didn't keep up with anyone but god were I better than many under brakes and mid corner speed :hihi:
Back to top Go down
Damian Baldi
Club Driver
Damian Baldi

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 3:03

Antoine de Mautor wrote:

Poor behaviour by a few lappers, uncharacteristically, at some point Gerard (who was two laps down!), was trying to overtake JF who was one lap ahead of him Shocked What are you doing seriously ? Then I saw three cars spinning in the straightaway throughout the race, wtf Shocked I guess these cars are a bit too much for some to handle...

I saw lot of cars doing "S" on the straight, may be this is because the steering-lock. I have a DFP wheel working on 360º and I used 12 at Kyalami and 10 at the Le Mans practice because it was very dificult to keep the car stable with more. However, it felt very accurated how you have to move the wheel with the videos you can find at youtube.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 8:15

Quote :

Underbody effects certainly cause much less draft/turbulence than wings (Indycars can follow each other much easier than F1, which illustrates the point) but still these cars have CX around .45 to .50 and big rear wings, so they blow a lot of air away when moving at 300 km/h. Not as much as an open-wheeler, but still qute a lot. But yes, as you say a 2.8 should probably just be able to stay together and never overtake a 3.0 in normal conditions. We'll see. Smile

Back to top Go down
Balazs Kiss
Club Driver
Balazs Kiss

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 12:09

This was a great races. I cannot practice before the qualyfing, so qualyifing was my practice, learn the track, learn the car movements again. Twisted Evil I got a good setup by Imre. We made a few changes and it was better.

I enjoyed my self on both. Ricard no problem. :top:
Rocky 2nd race was extremely extraordinary, I dont know when was my last races like this. First race quite good, nice battles, and i made a nice gap for me.

2nd race: 41 laps with 1-2 seconds gap and pushing to the limits on both sides. I knew, I must moving away from everybody. You cannot catch my lee ( i hope this is the right word Wink ) I had a few little mistakes, but its very little. When we went through the sector 2 side by side with these cars, thats kinda ....hmmm bounce cheers :banane: Very Happy :clap:

This 3.0 car is very fast, but not the best one i think

:first: :first:
Thank you guys
Back to top Go down
Samuli Leinonen
Club Driver
Samuli Leinonen

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2012-12-18

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 14:05

OMG I MISSED THIS!!

tad pissed now, kyalami is one of my favorite tracks. Sad
Back to top Go down
Imre Bende
Rookie
Imre Bende

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-10-17

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 20:57

these were very nice races with big grid. i hope that, endurance will be the next open race Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.simcompany.hu
Damian Baldi
Club Driver
Damian Baldi

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 21:19

Imre Bende wrote:
these were very nice races with big grid. i hope that, endurance will be the next open race Smile

that's the way aha aha I like it :banane:

P.S. where's the dancing banana with the afro?
Back to top Go down
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
Guillaume Siebert

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue 7 May 2013 - 22:36

Imre Bende wrote:

There will be another enduro later this year, but this time i'll be watching the start and giving heavy stop&go penalties to those who overtake before the start/finish line (just like you did) or cause collision in the formation lap and first lap, like Mr de Vries. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 8 May 2013 - 21:26

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Quote :

Underbody effects certainly cause much less draft/turbulence than wings (Indycars can follow each other much easier than F1, which illustrates the point) but still these cars have CX around .45 to .50 and big rear wings, so they blow a lot of air away when moving at 300 km/h. Not as much as an open-wheeler, but still qute a lot. But yes, as you say a 2.8 should probably just be able to stay together and never overtake a 3.0 in normal conditions. We'll see. Smile

That's what I thought. Yeah, at Le Mans 91-96, the 3.0 is 6 seconds faster than a 2.8 and that layout has the chicanes! Surprised
Back to top Go down
Damian Baldi
Club Driver
Damian Baldi

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 8 May 2013 - 21:35

Rocky Calabrese wrote:
Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Quote :

That's what I thought. Yeah, at Le Mans 91-96, the 3.0 is 6 seconds faster than a 2.8 and that layout has the chicanes! Surprised

I was thinking about another bad thing of more draft effect, and is that it would be more difficult to race close to the car in front because in theory you will lose downforce.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]   1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th] - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1987 Kyalami Sportscar Sprint [May 5th]
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next