Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]

Go down 
+34
Gérard Ryon
Simon Wattman
François Remmen
John Thim
Dave Miller
David Jaques
Brian Janik
Raymond Riddall
Alberto Iquino
Alberto Ibañez
Adam Hackman
Filippo Marazzi
Gabriel Legnini
David Sabre
Steve Parker
Jacob Fredriksson
Petr Hlavac
Raul Jereb
Oyvind Andersen
Grant Riddall
Martin Lacina
Jan Kowalski
Mick Chapman
Thiago Canola
Austin Johnson
Jason Fitch
David Jundt
Jason Whited
Alan Forster
Richard Wilks
Juha Bos
Bruno Chacon
Jason White
Richard Coxon
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 22 May 2019 - 20:17

I'll weigh in here, both as admin and as oval racing fan.

First of all, I (As admin, we as admins) understand that oval racing is somehow alien to most EU people. Some are not familiar with it, don't necessarily appreciate it, but are somehow forced to do it because it's in the calender after all. I see some people approach these races as "It's only turning left, easy to learn the track, I don't need much practice for that" and that is not true at all.

Second, many things (crashes, daring maneuvers) that in road courses go unnoticed here do trigger yellows -which annoys everybody- and affect more cars. In a road course unless you are at the start you are mostly racing alone, in ovals you are almost always in traffic, and usually with several cars around.

Third, you don't need any talent at all to race cleanly at ovals (Or at road courses), you just need some focus and respect for the track. Anyone who is around enough knows that I am not exactly talented and actually quite slow at road courses, and yet you can always race with me at ovals with no trouble at all.

With that said, I am not going to point fingers or put blame on anybody, but as I have already said in the private admin forum, as far as I'm concerned this is going to be the last "open" oval racing series here. Next year we will have F1, and from there on any series with ovals will be secondary and invitational only. There will be enough main series for people to race turning left and right, we can very well keep the ovals for those who really like it. I rather have a dedicated ovals series as USAC74, or a vintage Nascar one with a smaller grid of enthusiast people who absolutely love and commit to this type of racing, than a big field where you find people that just accept it because it's in the schedule or lack the interest/motivation to put the effort needed to produce clean racing. Yes we will always have at least one full open event as Indy or similar, but the rest of the series will be locked and per invitation only. For the rest of people, there will be plenty of exciting road racing, so no need to worry.
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed 22 May 2019 - 22:56

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Next year we will have F1, and from there on any series with ovals will be secondary and invitational only. There will be enough main series for people to race turning left and right, we can very well keep the ovals for those who really like it. I rather have a dedicated ovals series as USAC74, or a vintage Nascar one with a smaller grid of enthusiast people who absolutely love and commit to this type of racing, than a big field where you find people that just accept it because it's in the schedule or lack the interest/motivation to put the effort needed to produce clean racing.

:top:
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2019 - 9:11

Just for the record as so as not to confuse anybody about what I said in my previous post. It is my personal statement "as far as I'm concerned" and as I have already told it to my fellow admins. I am not going to organize or support any more open oval racing series here, though that does not imply any other admin can't decide to host one. In any case, there are no plans as of now for a series with ovals in 2020, besides the odd event in the Gold Star.
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2019 - 9:43

Bit fed up of these moans on the forum tbh.
If someone was dangerous or reckless, what have we told you to do? PM US!! We’ve said time and time again the forum isn’t a place to air your anger or distaste at someone.

So Jason Fitch, I expect a PM within a couple of days explaining who you are annoyed with and why and then we will look into it and hand out disciplinarians if necessary.

Austin’s we already know who it involved hence me not mentioning him and John Thim already left the series so I can’t do much about that
Back to top Go down
Timo Vermeersch
Racing Legend
Timo Vermeersch

Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2019 - 12:55

And then we do not even mention the brats that are constantly nagging on their blogs Laughing Laughing Laughing :rigol: :rigol: study
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2019 - 16:15

I trully hope we will see Cart98 again in the future..
But Im the one that prefers USA open wheelers over F1, so dont blame me pulling it this way..
Back to top Go down
Lukáš Vydra
Experienced Driver
Lukáš Vydra

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2018-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2019 - 16:54

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
First of all, I (As admin, we as admins) understand that oval racing is somehow alien to most EU people. Some are not familiar with it, don't necessarily appreciate it, but are somehow forced to do it because it's in the calender after all. I see some people approach these races as "It's only turning left, easy to learn the track, I don't need much practice for that" and that is not true at all.

I like to join every series and their respective races, even the ovals. But after my first real oval race back in 2017 I disagree with saying racing on them is easier than on road courses. Yes, it's only turning left, but I think like that only when I alone on track. With other people around, I need to focus even more than on road courses.

About the lack of practice, I am pretty quickly comfortable with the way I know the track, brake points, racing lines and driving stuff and I usually stop practicing shortly after that because I am struggling to improve further. But if in the future will be oval races here only for invitation, I can't see a problem with for example the rule of 500 full laps completed before the official race weekend start.
Back to top Go down
Timo Vermeersch
Racing Legend
Timo Vermeersch

Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2019 - 17:13

I did deliberately not ask for a CART88 car because of the oval races. Not because I do not like oval races but because I know I lack the experience and thus skill for an oval race. And am therefore very likely to cause mayhem should I enter one.

That being said, I would be happy to acquire the experience required to enter an oval race without a high probability of ruining it for others. I would eg love to enter a vintage Nascar-series once.

The CART 88 cars however do not seem to be the best cars to "learn" oval racing. It is like jumping onto the fiercest stallion without ever having been on even a pony.

So I would be thrilled to learn about leagues that run oval series but with entry class cars. For the moment, I really only see iRacing to offer that. Or are there other offerings?

Timo
Back to top Go down
Brian Janik
Experienced Driver

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2014-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu 23 May 2019 - 18:11

congrats on 3rd Raul! ...and 2nd Al jr

Hope it didnt seem I was protesting results or even moaning in post race comments. maybe I was? haha

I mainly wanted to know if there is a way I can see the penalty messages I received during race because I'd like to avoid getting them in the future. Pretty sure about 2 of 3

BTW I'm Very inexperienced with oval racing. Even in real life never paid much attention to it, despite being to the Indy 500 3 or 4 times. I was mostly there to party!
Arrow Arrow But having said that I had a blast in this race. And was intoxicated by doing laps all month wanting to unlock the speed in this car. Over a thousand laps and combined tips from several sources allowed me to avoid making a fool of myself, and actually have a shot at a win.

So I hope the Ovals wont go extinct at HSO! I like a combo of Invite idea from Alberto and a minimum amount of effort(practice laps) suggested by Timo as a reasonable solution

onwards!
Back to top Go down
Filippo Marazzi
Club Driver
Filippo Marazzi

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri 24 May 2019 - 16:22

It is great to finish the race. My car was fantastic in traffic,

Congratulations Mick! :first:

The event was fantastic lol!

Fantastic broadcast :top:

For me all start with a thrilling qualification at my last attempt.
After many days of practice having help for settings car from David Jacques and Brian Janik... THANKS, I turned regular in 43.3 with best in 43.1. But on sunday 12 I don't find speed, so my first attemps was up 44sec. 34th position out of race...second attempt finish yet before start in turn 4 of pace lap... third and last attempt 29th position  Very Happy
me in Alonso out  :langue:
no sorry Simon out (but happy to see him in on 19)

Race. 3rd lap a bad overtake and I pull Raul to touch the wall (congratulations Raul happy you have no damages from my error and see you on the podium)
A good battle with Jan K. between lap 20 and 30.
Unlucky with the pace car around lap 60, exit in front of me and I lost a lap from Adam a few meter in front of me.
Then a great battle with Bruno between lap 60 and 80.
In another caution I must refuel with pits closed, I have no more fuel for another lap so I was penalised with drive trought, so I lost another lap. :doh: I do a stop and go instead of DT, so a second passage to pits.
Sorry for misuderstanding with Jason Fitch during the caution I rentry in lane after turn 2, stay on inside line and brake at the same speed of Richard Coxon and the other cars in front of me (I saw on replay we are all between 95 and 110 kmh at that moment) but Jason F. car was at 150kmh and maybe he could stay on outside line (anyway I hope your spin don't create problems to the car)
In the last part of race I pushed for many laps and I gain many seconds on Bruno
I also got a strange stop/go 10 sec penalty near the end of the race.

Happy to finish that wonderful race, maybe with little more luck and experience I had the speed for stay with Adam around position 10th

Well done all.

Thanks again to the admin for organising this event.

I like in future if classic motorsport events like a 24h Le Mans or Spa or Daytona 500 could became other classic event of HSO season

I hope to be back for Michigan 500 in July and Pocono 500 in October
:hello:
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat 25 May 2019 - 2:36

Quote :
(anyway I hope your spin don't create problems to the car)

No problem Filippo, one of those racing deals.
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun 26 May 2019 - 7:55

For me it was a good race with a nice setup (thanks for that) and in the end some points.
Unfortunately i was entering "the pits" under the white line in turn 3 to pit. I did that for 1st and 2nd stop, so i was one lap down. Would have needed more yellows in the first laps to learn how to enter pits. But it was more clean all race than i thought.
Oval race was fun but i am more looking forward to that airfield circuit which i like most :clap:
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jun 2019 - 14:21

Sorry it's taken so long but here are our :

Additional Honours for this year's Indianapolis 500

Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 JARound 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 17_Rutherford_Indy

Jigger Award  |  Brian Janik
This award is named for Jigger Sirois, the real-life first recipient in 1969.  It goes to the driver who experiences the hardest luck during the Month of May.  Brian was a favourite to win this year's race, but an ill timed pitstop put Brian out of the running for the win.

Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 ROTYRound 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 29_Vogler_Indy

Rookie of the Year  |  Oyvind Andersen
Oyvind showed great driving in qualifying to get the car in the field at his first attempt using these cars, out qualifying many season long entries in the process. A grand performance.

Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 BWARound 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 05_Mears_Indy

Bob Wilson Award  |  Alberto Ibanez
This award goes to the most sportsmanlike driver.  Alberto helped many drivers with car setups and driving tips, including the first 2 finishers.  This enhancement of the experience for everyone is what the Bob Wilson Award is all about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]   Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th] - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round 5 - Indianapolis 500 [May 19th]
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6