Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor

Go down 
+22
Gabriele Maruca
Jason White
Marco Lenarduzzi
Ashar Firdaus
Gilles Taux
Juha Bos
John Fuqua
David Jundt
Jason Fitch
Jacob Fredriksson
Timo Vermeersch
Filippo Marazzi
Brian Janik
Marie de Lacrowe
Lennart Groessl
François Remmen
Alberto Ibañez
David Sabre
Lukáš Vydra
Richard Coxon
Richard Wilks
Pascal Mikula
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

Number of posts : 1189
Registration date : 2016-01-04

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Empty
PostSubject: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 16:27

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Unknown and Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Unknown

present

The FISA Formula One World Championship of 1982 for rFactor
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Bild110

Welcome to the official work thread to the rFactor FISA F1 1982 mod by Project 82 Modding!

This started out as a simple little look into the F1 1982 BETA mod by Varjanta Modding Team after the original modders went AWOL and the original mod project died. Actually, I had the idea of re-creating the official 1982 Season Review in rFactor but I found that a lot of things were missing in the mod, so you can thank my liking of Clive James' commentary for that. Smile 
After having had some nice experience with the v0.93 "Historical Edition", I set about fixing some of the bugs and issues, which I deemed wasn't much. Then I came across a new version, 0.95 "League Edition", which featured a few more cars, but every car shared the same physics set.
Now, with the goal to make this mod high-quality as well as including every car, every livery, every driver entered in the FIA F1 1982 World Championship, I have decided to start putting the pieces together and started taking this quest upon myself.
The current version of this mod is called "F1 1982 Development HE" and is unofficially version 0.96 of the project.
It features most cars used in the 1982 F1 World Championship and then some which were tested, but never raced.
Currently, the cars available use their physics set from version 0.93, all of which are due to be improved.
Some cars are currently unavailable, even though their assets exist and their models work in game. Those cars don't have a dedicated physics set and are therefore currently under closed development.

A track pack with all 16 tracks used in the 1982 season is also under development, although this is at the lower end of the priority list.
I'm also planning on converting this mod to Automobilista once it's finished. Then again, define "finished"..

In the following posts and pages of this thread, you will find the course of development along with previous releases. Due to the whole thread getting crowded, I decided to write this as an edit of the first post and add important information, as to not force anyone who's just looking for the current state of the project to go through a ton of posts and pages. Dear visitor, if you are sick of scrolling through millions of posts with dead links and shady upload pages just to find any working version of a project, I know how you feel. That's why I keep this thread updated regularly!

Anyway, the current project is divided into two parts.
The CORE MOD features everything needed to get the whole thing going. Sound files, shaders, the rFM, the UI and the safety cars are all included in the CORE MOD.
The VEHICLES feature an archive for every currently available vehicle. That means that as of 01/07/2019, there are 22 unique vehicles in the mod. Check the README of the core mod for everything important about those.

Here are the download links:
Core Mod: https://www.mediafire.com/file/me1cjuc14r2t1d4/F1_1982_Core.7z/file
Vehicles: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j202p2p68zd9y/F1_1982_Cars

Thank you to everyone who helps me along the way whenever I hit a troublesome spot. An extended thank you goes out to David Sabre and Alberto Ibanez for teaching me all the different things about the cars' 3D models and their respective properties, and also for fixing some minor little screw-ups of mine. Smile 

IMPORTANT: Currently, some cars use a shared physics set, as those don't have their own set yet. That means that the Lotus 91 physics are in use by the Osella FA1C, Theodore TY02, March 821 and Fittipaldi F9. The Toleman TG183 uses physics from the Brabham BT50 as of now. It is absolutely required that if you want to try out and use those cars, you must have the Lotus 91 and Brabham BT50 installed as well, or else the game won't find the respective HDV files and therefore exclude the cars from the game!

Yours truly,
Pascal Mikula.  :frank:

CURRENT STATE OF DEVELOPMENT:
Latest version: v0.96C

Next update: Unsure when it's going to be due. I'm learning to 3d-model from scratch..so it's sort of on hold.

Currently in development (Graphics):
Alfa-Romeo Tipo 179D (Progress: 100%!!!)
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Rfacto12
Brabham-Ford BT49D (Progress: 100%!!!)
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Grab_027
Arrows-Ford A4 (Progress: 0%)

Ensign-Ford N180B/N181 (Progress: 0%)

Lotus-Ford Type 87B (Progress: 0%)

Theodore-Ford TY01 (Progress: 0%)

Toleman-Hart TG181B/C (Progress: 0%)

Last edited: 01/07/2019

Original Post (since this thread is now 9 pages long and getting a little hard to overlook):

Last edited by Pascal Mikula on Tue 23 Jul 2019 - 23:06; edited 21 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://classicmotorsporthub.boards.net
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 16:33

As you know, we in HSO strive for historic recreations of seasons, including all the races and entrants whenever possible.

The main challenge in that, and other cases, is the tracks. I have been an advocate of not doing championships for the sake of doing them, but instead, doing them to a high degree of fidelity, both visually, as well as physically.

The 1982 season, unfortunally like many others, has an incomplete roster of cars, with varying degrees of graphical level, and like you said yourself, a general lack of tracks, or just tracks with very poor quality.
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 16:39

A mod takes a lot of work, even little fixes can be a lot of time and effort. If the mod was a viable option we would have investigated it.
We are already working on next year (We have to start as early as February, and that was for the CART 88 mod which was effectively just a conversion) and  we're still finalizing details for this year's championships. We've even looked at 2021 briefly in preparation. That's how far in advance we need to plan.

I'd never say never, but at the moment it's a no.  :smil20:
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 16:53

Richard Wilks wrote:
As you know, we in HSO strive for historic recreations of seasons, including all the races and entrants whenever possible.

The main challenge in that, and other cases, is the tracks. I have been an advocate of not doing championships for the sake of doing them, but instead, doing them to a high degree of fidelity, both visually, as well as physically.

The 1982 season, unfortunally like many others, has an incomplete roster of cars, with varying degrees of graphical level, and like you said yourself, a general lack of tracks, or just tracks with very poor quality.
As I'm reading this, I was thinking "Well but there can't be many cars missing, can there?"
Yeah no, you're right. Too bad. 
I was going to make a list of cars that are missing and tracks that might be missing completely or be missing a correct layout, but there are even whole teams and also one-off entries missing. Plus, as I mentioned, the broken materials in the upgrade files.

Richard Coxon wrote:
A mod takes a lot of work, even little fixes can be a lot of time and effort. If the mod was a viable option we would have investigated it. 
We are already working on next year (We have to start as early as February, and that was for the CART 88 mod which was effectively just a conversion) and  we're still finalizing details for this year's championships. We've even looked at 2021 briefly in preparation. That's how far in advance we need to plan.

I'd never say never, but at the moment it's a no.

Understandable - too sad the mod is no longer being developed. But if there was the will to improve it and make it viable, I'd more than love to be part of it. I mean, I'm looking into learning all this modding stuff but due to my graduation taking place at the moment, I don't have much time or opportunity.
Anyway, I understand the reasoning behind not wanting/being able to run a full season with those cars.
But would a little one-off race, like the F2 race at classic Spa in rF2 a year or two back, be possible?
I'm mostly just fantasizing, though, as the only "fix" for this mod that I discovered would be to have two teams effectively run a mix between HE and LE physics (especially since I have no idea what certain errors mean that the game throws when loading a car)
Back to top Go down
Lukáš Vydra
Experienced Driver
Lukáš Vydra

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2018-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 17:41

Richard Coxon wrote:
That's the main reason why I love HSO more than any other simracing community before. You guys are even more passionate than me.
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 19:11

One of the first British GPs that I went to was 1982, very interesting.
I found that there is a LE version 0.95 which only appears to be missing the Ensign, although I assume that there is only one chassis type for each manufacturer when some manufacturers used more than one chassis type, eg Williams used chassis types, FW07C, FW07D & FW08.
Anyway I'm interested in having a look at the mod and seeing what it needs to be usable. I'm promising nothing but I will look at it.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 19:23

What is so interesting about the 1982 mod? If I want ground effects I would rather convert and improve the 1979 mod, and if I want the crazy turbo cars then the 1985/86 mods are better quality wise.  :hum:
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 19:30

:top: Alberto
damn always wanne blast around Detroit street track some day
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 19:34

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
What is so interesting about the 1982 mod? If I want ground effects I would rather convert and improve the 1979 mod, and if I want the crazy turbo cars then the 1985/86 mods are better quality wise.  :hum:

Funny, me and Ricardo were discussing 86. :antoine:
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 19:36

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
What is so interesting about the 1982 mod?
For me its interesting because I was at Brands Hatch. Smile
There are lots of F1 mods that could be converted as we did with F171 but I see this as getting the mod to work correctly in rFactor. I don't see this as a full time mod to work on just something to update every now and then. I've not even looked at it yet and like I said before I'm not promising anything, I may decide to not do anything with it.
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 19:56

I've had a look at the mod and I'm glad that I didn't promise to do any work on it. The models are not very good really and I probably think that the mod is not worth taking time to work on it. The images that I saw of the mod before do not match what I've now seen in game. Its now unlikely that I will work on it. Shame.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 19:58

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
What is so interesting about the 1982 mod? 

The last really competitive season of the DFV engine..
The last championship for a DFV engine..
The insane racing coupled with danger..
etc.
Plus, it's one very important season pretty much ignored in the modding world since GP4 (as I mentioned).

Alberto Ibanez wrote:
If I want ground effects I would rather convert and improve the 1979 mod, and if I want the crazy turbo cars then the 1985/86 mods are better quality wise.

I mean, yeah those mods are better quality-wise, but I'd say mostly because they've been finished. As I said, the 82 mod is, as of now, only in beta and has been for years which is, IMO, sort of sad. 
Or maybe I'm just too hooked on it at the moment. *looks at 2000km clocked at Kyalami with the Ferrari 126C2 in the past week*
Back to top Go down
Lennart Groessl
Rookie
Lennart Groessl

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2019-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 20:00

François Remmen wrote:
:top:  Alberto

I'd totally be in for that haha

Did that with a friend a few years ago, altough it was in '89 cars.
Back to top Go down
Marie de Lacrowe
Club Driver
Marie de Lacrowe

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 21:30

David Sabre wrote:
I've had a look at the mod and I'm glad that I didn't promise to do any work on it. The models are not very good really and I probably think that the mod is not worth taking time to work on it. The images that I saw of the mod before do not match what I've now seen in game. Its now unlikely that I will work on it. Shame.

Mr. David, Very Happy

I share your analysis on the '82 project because few people know that the cars of the 1982 season were born for the GP4 simulator, while the cars were converted to rFactor through the consent of the Portuguese author. The various cockpits have been created for rFactor with a large amount of polygons that do not make the cars look better, while cars like Toleman, Theodore, Osella were born for rFactor but with an exaggeration in the polygons used that weigh down these cars. The conversion team was made up of many people who divided the various jobs to offer a version for rFactor but despite this, I only found little playability and a lot of weight on the graphics card with which it had to manage all the shared files.

I met the author of the 1985 cars for rFactor who told me about the difficulty in doing almost everything alone, however the result is pleasant and playable with every model of this season. I think that jobs don't always come out well when there are too many people working on them, and in any case even the 1983.84 seasons weren't done better.
Back to top Go down
Brian Janik
Experienced Driver

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2014-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 22:30

François Remmen wrote:

Its not as easy as it used to be 10 years ago.
There are a lot more Police around nowadays.
That's a negative aspect of a city making a comeback, I must behave.

Also at least one corner has been eliminated by new construction.
Back to top Go down
Filippo Marazzi
Club Driver
Filippo Marazzi

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeTue 23 Apr 2019 - 22:51

Hi all,
maybe many of you know this page....
for your research Pascal

https://www.racingsportscars.com/f1.html

Smile
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2019 - 17:09

Brian Janik wrote:
François Remmen wrote:

you mean the old 1982-1988 version
thats what i ment the carrera88 detroit verson to race on one day with you all
and it indeed changed the haipin section true mid 80s but man its a decent street track that is such a shame not raced that more often, detroit by carrera is a true gem and masterpiece in simracing

Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2019 - 19:19

Filippo Marazzi wrote:
Hi all,
maybe many of you know this page....
for your research Pascal

https://www.racingsportscars.com/f1.html

Smile

Thanks for posting that one Filippo, but it's also very unlikely from my side that there'll be any sort of work on the mod itself. I'm simply not educated enough in modding for gMotor games. Hell, I'd love to port the 82 mod to AMS and see how it does there. But the fact it's made with models that are so GPU/CPU heavy (i can barely run a 25-car field at Kyalami79 with my mirrors on) is a real setback. Plus, as mentioned beforehand, it's missing quite a lot of stuff. Not just cars, but upgrades, tracks, even 3d data for certain cars which literally breaks the game once attempted to load.
Back to top Go down
Brian Janik
Experienced Driver

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2014-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2019 - 19:21

François Remmen wrote:
Brian Janik wrote:
François Remmen wrote:

and it indeed changed the haipin section true mid 80s but man its a decent street track that is such a shame not raced that more often, detroit by carrera is a true gem and masterpiece in simracing

No lol!
I meant when I drive around in the actual city.
It's harder to get up to racing speeds anymore.
Too many pedestrians and activity around now. It used to be an empty post apocalyptic free for all.
and some streets have been modified since the last race in '88.
Cars cant even drive in front of this guy anymore https://goo.gl/maps/nRsCVpPMSZ4Azgmh6
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2019 - 19:29

So, I was going on about missing tracks for the 1982 season, namely Long Beach (there were only 1979 and 1988 and later layouts in existence as far as I knew) and Caesar's Palace (with literally no track existing).

Turns out, they do exist. Google is your friend, aight?
Anyway, there are an apparent 1982 Long Beach layout and also a 1981-1982 version of Caesar's Palace available. I'll try them out and, in case anyone would even really care, I'd give my personal opinion on them. Wouldn't be worth trying them out if they were literally just a bunch of road within nothingness, but since I'm currently still downloading them, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

It says that the Caesar's Palace track was made by Nericksenna and Birkuc.. I don't know about y'all, but those names do ring a bell for me. Just not sure what sort.

Later.
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2019 - 19:42

Brian Janik wrote:
François Remmen wrote:
Brian Janik wrote:
François Remmen wrote:

No  lol!
I meant when I drive around in the actual city.
It's harder to get up to racing speeds anymore.
Too many pedestrians and activity around now. It used to be an empty post apocalyptic free for all.
and some streets have been modified since the last race in '88.
Cars cant even drive in front of this guy anymore https://goo.gl/maps/nRsCVpPMSZ4Azgmh6

lmao

those civil servants always make plans to ruin old gems , Detroit the motor city , wth happend in 30y years ! scratch but i swear and you all witness to HSO , when i have time somwhere in 2022 i wil make you a Detroit88 update for rfactor and yes to port it onward to AMS or whatever HSO wants !
Back to top Go down
Lukáš Vydra
Experienced Driver
Lukáš Vydra

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2019 - 22:59

Pascal Mikula wrote:
It says that the Caesar's Palace track was made by Nericksenna and Birkuc.. I don't know about y'all, but those names do ring a bell for me. Just not sure what sort.
I know Birkuc from some work on historic seasons for F1 Challenge 99-02.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeWed 24 Apr 2019 - 23:36

So, I just tested both Long Beach and Caesar's Palace 1982 in rFactor.
My feelings are .... mixed.

I expected Long Beach to be a track with good build quality, albeit some obvious changes from the 1979 layout, while I expected Caesar's Palace to be a track in the middle of nowhere, with not much to see other than the road itself.

Boy, was I surprised.

Caesar's Palace is actually, in my opinion, very well-built. The graphics look authentic (can't prove it because the last time the track was used for F1 was in 1982, 18 years before I was even born duh) and there are no graphical glitches or anything like that. In total, 8/10. Could probably be improved AIW-wise, but other than that, nice.
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor GRAB_008 Mod F1 1982 for rFactor GRAB_009 Mod F1 1982 for rFactor GRAB_010

Long Beach 1982....  holy shit is it bad. Elevation changes are horrible, simply coming out of the pits for the first time I saw that the build quality on that track is mediocre at best.
I don't know how the track itself in some parts looked like back in 1982, but the graphics themselves..they're not bad. Plus, tire walls that don't immediatly kill you. I like that, albeit a little unrealistic maybe. But those elevation changes. U G H. They're as badly made as you can imagine. Plus, the pit area is non-existent. Not sure how authentic or not, but the cars stand in the 1979 pit area (which I read was like that in '82) but there are no roads or anything where the cars can stay. It's just a bunch of asphalt with no features! Given that the track is 43 MB in comparison to Caesar's Palace's 13 MB, I'm slightly disappointed. Plus, I don't think Turn 2 was THAT narrow, at least from what I saw in footage from the 1982 Season Review (the clip when Gilles Villeneuve tried passing Keke Rosberg and spun out in T1) 
In total, 4/10 at best. Hope it can be improved somehow, but so far, I'd rather race on the 1979 version.

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor GRAB_001 Mod F1 1982 for rFactor GRAB_000 Mod F1 1982 for rFactor GRAB_007
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor GRAB_003 Mod F1 1982 for rFactor GRAB_002 Mod F1 1982 for rFactor GRAB_004

Lukas Vydra wrote:
I know Birkuc from some work on historic seasons for F1 Challenge 99-02.
I've only heard of nericksenna, i think he might even have a profile on this forum. But I'm not sure. But as this post shows, the Caesar's Palace track is really nice from a quality POV, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Lukáš Vydra
Experienced Driver
Lukáš Vydra

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2019 - 6:23

Pascal Mikula wrote:
I don't know how the track itself in some parts looked like back in 1982 ...

At least the layout:
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor 0dvh
Back to top Go down
Marie de Lacrowe
Club Driver
Marie de Lacrowe

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitimeThu 25 Apr 2019 - 10:41

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor F_110
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor F_210

If I think of the '82 season, I have to think that the cars were relatively fragile and very dangerous. The car that Gilles used was preassembled with an almost absurd conformation of the supporting chassis because it was obvious that a serious impact towards the external track would have led the car to yield towards the points of union of the frame itself.
The rFactor game can give an idea of how powerful these F1 cars were, but their fragility still remains a virtual sensation that cannot be felt as it happens in reality
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor
Page 1 of 15Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next