Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]

Go down 
+32
Jan Prusa
Rhys Gardiner
Mick Chapman
Jonatan Acerclinth
François Remmen
Petr Hlavac
Raul Jereb
Bruno Chacon
Yves Plaçais
David Jaques
Steve Parker
John Thim
Thiago Canola
Jacob Fredriksson
Grant Riddall
Gérard Ryon
John Cook
David Jundt
David Sabre
Dave Miller
Adam Hackman
Raymond Riddall
Cezariusz Czlapinski
Austin Johnson
Juha Bos
Timo Vermeersch
Pascal Mikula
Jason Whited
Alberto Ibañez
Lukáš Vydra
Jan Kowalski
Richard Coxon
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 8:42

About that first lap: that was just too predictable. I was laughing my hecking butt off just how stupid it was down at the hairpin. When the caution came out, the cars ahead of me slowed down, and I thought "at least we will get another try to make this right" because I thought the yellow setting was a glitch and that we would restart without yellows. By the time it was clear that there wouldn't be a restart, I was in the lead. I'll take it.

About that final lap: that was just too predictable. Anyone would up their aggression in that situation. I was shafted out, and of course wanted to make a final splash. Guess that move could use some refinement. But I don't think I did something totally uncalled for. Had lots of momentum, braked a touch later than normal, a clear gap, but it was obviously a bit late. That the other car turned in when I had already committed happens sometime. A slight touch, I lifted off as I didn't want to win by wall-riding, and got across the line in 2nd.

About in between: pretty cool racing, nothing too aggressive, just formation flying. I had a split second of overheating that had me a bit worried, but it never happened a second time, so that was good. It was obvious that the other two in the lead-battle had been working together with a race strategy, so I felt like the odd man out. But I didn't wanted to be intimidated in this battle. No one is entitled to anything in this game.

See you all next time. :conduit:
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 10:02

David Jaques wrote:
Yves Plaçais wrote:
Jan Kowalski wrote:
my G29 were constantly clipping after i spun into the grass. Undriveable and not good for the wheel i think so i retired. Is there a FFB setting in AMS to reduce the FFB effects of grass, gravel or locked wheels?

+1, Jan ! Rolling Eyes

what do you mean by "clipping"?   vibration from flat spotting the tires?  isn't that the penalty for locking the tires?  turning it off would be quite the advantage.  that said, maybe try slightly lower ffb settings overall.  too high and i can't feel the subtle details.  plus, in a real car on track, i've never had to "crank" on the wheel.  all the effort and fatigue comes from trying to stabilize your body not turning the wheel.

The main thing was caused by hitting the grass when it started to vibrate and rattle all the time. The effect of locked tyres is okay to handle. Reducing FFB is a help (which i did for this race), but that make the car lighter on the FFB effects. I have to look in the controller.ini to solve that (just asked if anyone has a clue). With realfeel in rF you can adjust e.g. "SmoothingLevel".
Should have used my xbox controller for this race :hihi:
Back to top Go down
Grant Riddall
Experienced Driver
Grant Riddall

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2015-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 10:26

Jacob Fredriksson wrote:
About that final lap: that was just too predictable. Anyone would up their aggression in that situation. I was shafted out, and of course wanted to make a final splash. Guess that move could use some refinement. But I don't think I did something totally uncalled for. Had lots of momentum, braked a touch later than normal, a clear gap, but it was obviously a bit late. That the other car turned in when I had already committed happens sometime. A slight touch, I lifted off as I didn't want to win by wall-riding, and got across the line in 2nd.

Their is a very, very fine difference Jacob between upping your aggression and desperation. I believe you was the latter. You came from 3rd, charging through to take the lead in a corner you'd not normally associate overtaking with (before the turn is fine but not the actual turn). You had every right to make a "lunge" provided your in the position to do so, but you clearly wasn't being that far back on that particular corner. You then hit me, causing both of us slamming into the wall. So you then lift as to not take first by that manoeuvre but your totally fine with taking second after shunting me into the wall? Where's the logic in that.

I'm not angry or mad about the situation. Heck if I finished 1st 2nd or 3rd I would of been happy because that race was brilliant. But not even an apology thrown my way after that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But it's done now, let's just move on and look towards more battles between us.

That aside, my night was quite fun. Me and Dad teamed up in Quali and managed to get pole and Dad a solid 5th which was nice to see. The start Pascal got what is arguably the best start we're going to see in this championship - it was blisteringly fast! After the hairpin the full course yellows then came out and I have to agree with David here. Don't understand why people think it's okay to overtake under full course yellow, you can clearly see the leaders are slowing but taking advantage of that I think is a bit unsportsmanlike.

After the restart the race with David, Jacob and myself was great. Using each other to maintain our speed and was tense all the way through. Planned my last lap to get me the best possible chance of enetering the last turns 1st but that wasn't to be.

Came home 3rd

Broadcast was great to listen to so thank you guys for that and well done to Jaques Smile
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 11:06

I am not sorry for making the attempt. I am sorry that I brought someone else with me.
Back to top Go down
Grant Riddall
Experienced Driver
Grant Riddall

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2015-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 11:36

Jacob Fredriksson wrote:
I am not sorry for making the attempt. I am sorry that I brought someone else with me.

Lets leave it in the past now and just look forward to future races with each other Smile
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 11:53

Grant Riddall wrote:
Jacob Fredriksson wrote:

Lets leave it in the past now and just look forward to future races with each other Smile

:top: :conduit: :champ:
Back to top Go down
John Thim
Club Driver
John Thim

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 17:55

Austin Johnson wrote:
So still not sure about what happened on lap 1 coming out of turn 2 I'm as low as possible and a car comes accross the nose of my car....Not sure if I was drifting right or you were drifting left or both....

Tried to counter-steer but it was impossible. Feel sorry for those who got blocked in such a crucial part. Tried to steer away from the pack once i spun but to no avail. Nice to see Jacob finding this so amusing? scratch

Last edited by John Thim on Mon 28 Jan 2019 - 19:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/thimbro23
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 18:10

The incident involved the four factory cars from a field of 28. The situation was clearly jinxed  Suspect
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2017-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 18:48

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
The incident involved the four factory cars from a field of 28. The situation was clearly jinxed  Suspect

Inevitable, really.
:hihi:
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 19:22

my last option is this to open these ports of my router
i quess this will also count for rfacor now since the new server

Automobilista - PC

TCP: 34747,40001
       UDP: 8766,27016,34597,34697,40002

Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 20:20

François Remmen wrote:
my last option is this to open these ports of my router
i quess this will also count for rfacor now since the new server

Automobilista - PC

TCP: 34747,40001
       UDP: 8766,27016,34597,34697,40002

Francois, Im complete ITC noob, I hate this stuff and I want to act as a dumb user and nothing more. So here is what caused my disconections, and I had too much of those.. Ill just rephrase what I was told from ISP guys...
First of all, the cable to my router (the telephon line cable) was broken and by moveing the cable or router Id loose signal.. I suspected that, but just could not be 100% sure.

And then, which is an sience fiction to me, I was told, that my ISP deployed a bandwith service which was not supported by infrastructure. Its chinese to me, but as I understood, the speed I could use and which was set up for my service was the cause of constant disconections. While not driving, I generaly wouldnt notice that, but while online in a race, it provoke discos.. this was fixed in a way that my ISP lowerd the speed of my conection. So far very good.

So, I dont know what the chances are you are facing the same issue, but wanted to share it with you..

I hope youll solve that hell soon!
Back to top Go down
Austin Johnson
Pro Driver
Austin Johnson

Number of posts : 814
Registration date : 2013-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 20:29

John Thim wrote:
Austin Johnson wrote:
So still not sure about what happened on lap 1 coming out of turn 2 I'm as low as possible and a car comes accross the nose of my car....Not sure if I was drifting right or you were drifting left or both....

Tried to counter-steer but it was impossible. Feel sorry for those who got blocked in such a crucial part. Tried to steer away from the pack once i spun but to no avail. Nice to see Jacob finding this so amusing? scratch

Well I guess its my fault of course it's me who caused it typical American driver :hihi:  Sorry guys. Neutral

Btw that has to be the worst track layout ever made. I can't believe that was an actually a race.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 20:46

Quote :
Btw that has to be the worst track layout ever made. I can't believe that was an actually a race.

And quite used at the time. They never stopped trying to use the track, probably for sentimental reasons. Only once enough people had died there, they let it go  Neutral

But if you think this layout is horrible, the 1937 one with the 43º banked curve and 10 km straights was the stupidest, craziest thing ever to happen in motorracing. Still as of today the view of the specially created cars by Mercedes and Auto Union with fairings for speeds close to 400 km/h is the iconic image of the interwars GP racing. 

Back to top Go down
Austin Johnson
Pro Driver
Austin Johnson

Number of posts : 814
Registration date : 2013-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 20:49

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Quote :

And quite used at the time. They never stopped trying to use the track, probably for sentimental reasons. Only once enough people had died there, they let it go  Neutral

But if you think this layout is horrible, the 1937 one with the 43º banked curve and 10 km straights was the stupidest, craziest thing ever to happen in motorracing. Still as of today the view of the specially created cars by Mercedes and Auto Union with fairings for speeds close to 400 km/h is the iconic image of the interwars GP racing. 

That looks insane Shocked

At least it has banked corners that would have much better in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 21:07

That, the 24 hours of Le Mans and the Daytona 500 are some of the iconic races we have not done here yet. Maybe some day, though all the work of doing the track and cars for just that seems a bit exaggerated. But who knows ...
Back to top Go down
Juha Bos
Racing Legend
Juha Bos

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2016-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 21:15

So you'll have the track ready by next week? lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rallyfoto.be
John Thim
Club Driver
John Thim

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2017-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 21:17

Austin Johnson wrote:

Well I guess its my fault

Its all good! :top: Just a shame for the time being. Moving on. :flag:
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/thimbro23
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 21:23

Juha Bos wrote:
So you'll have the track ready by next week? lol!

Well maybe next week not, but ...  :hum:

Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Avus
Back to top Go down
David Jundt
Racing Legend
David Jundt

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 22:06

Alberto nooo, I don't want to perform a Behra... pale
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/David-Jundt-450976341729894/
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 22:10

The 37 version was even longer (Straight wise) than the version we ran, so it’s not just the banking.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

Number of posts : 1189
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 22:20

Honestly, if I can inspire you to make a version of the Avus with the banked turn, I could try to provide some pictures. The AVUS is literally about 10 miles away from where I live. Just need to check how it would be possible within my working/travel way as I use the Avus at least twice a week to get to work after school. (However, I've been looking so hard to find any hint on where the south hairpins might have been on the actual Avus as there's woods everywhere and modern roads all leading or coming from Berlin-Grunewald). Plus, remembering the track from yesterday and comparing it to memories from the existing Avus67 track, the Avus67 is more accurate in the aspect that a few km's down the straight, there is actually a left-ish kink on the straight...
Back to top Go down
http://classicmotorsporthub.boards.net
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 22:31

Hasn't the banking been knocked down in 1967 or so? The broadcast tower and some of the old buildings are still there, though...

...but the post-banking AVUS is so typical for German racetracks before the 1990s. There was the Nürburgring, the Hockenheimring, and all kind of makeshift autobahn and airfield tracks - accelerate, brake, hairpin, repeat. Horrid!
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 22:35

Here is the different lengths used over the years.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/database/circuits/avus
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 22:41

Quote :
Honestly, if I can inspire you to make a version of the Avus with the banked turn, I could try to provide some pictures. 

It's not something I plan to do short or mid term. But yes I have a special love for the cars of the era, which motivated me to do the physics for the 1937 mod, and I know somewhen I will look into this. 

Quote :
I've been looking so hard to find any hint on where the south hairpins might have been on the actual Avus as there's woods everywhere and modern roads all leading or coming from Berlin-Grunewald

The original Südkurve is impossible to identify, but it laid right before the Spanische Allee more or less covering the area where you can find now a tank station and a Burger King. 

The new Südkehre that we also used yesterday is still there and quite easy to see/find. It's just before the exit to "Hüttenweg"

Quote :
the Avus67 is more accurate in the aspect that a few km's down the straight, there is actually a left-ish kink on the straight

Correct, the small kink is there in the version I have and it is accurate. The one created by JP Alesi we used yesterday is completely straight, which is not.

Quote :
Hasn't the banking been knocked down in 1967 or so? The broadcast tower and some of the old buildings are still there, though...

Exactly. The banked curve was knocked down and a flat curve placed instead.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jan 2019 - 22:47

BTW I should add that the track as we used it yesterday wasn't accurate either in that in the real one an extra chicane made of tire barriers existed before the entry to the last turn. We just didn't have enough info to place it accurately and decided to go with the flatout version. That is what also explains the difference in laptimes with the real life race (Pole 2 minutes 14 seconds).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]   Round 2 - 	Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th] - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round 2 - Internationales Avus-Rennen [Jan 27th]
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next