Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread

Go down 
+26
Jonatan Acerclinth
Steve Parker
Jan Kowalski
Petr Hlavac
Laurent Binet
Michal Janak
Greg Hunt
Philippe Martinelli
Peter Blom
Gérard Ryon
David Jaques
David Sabre
David Jundt
Yves Plaçais
Timo Vermeersch
Gabriel Sterr
Austin Johnson
Richard Coxon
Juha Bos
Scott Urick
Chris Stephens
Jason Whited
Richard Wilks
François Remmen
Jason Fitch
Alberto Ibañez
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 6 Apr 2018 - 22:04

I think its the feel in the center which is problematic (0 -30 degree). I was running a G27 before with -100 FB and could feel the grip limit and slide the car. Now it skids away easily without noticing a reason. The tips helped so far, glad you got a TM as well Smile

I use pure 360 now, feels good (and better than with G27). The rest will come hopefully Smile

EDIT: "0" is worth a try, have to generate more grip then Smile
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 6 Apr 2018 - 22:40

Ahhh these are the moments when you really value having a non-FF wheel  :D
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2017-03-08

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 6 Apr 2018 - 22:55

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Ahhh these are the moments when you really value having a non-FF wheel  :D

Meh. Been there, done that, won't go back.
So many of the nuances of what is going are with the car are lost when there is no ffb. You're stuck relying only on your eyes to feel the car out.
To each their own, but without ffb, I won't race. Not because I can't, it's where I started.
The immersion is just not there for me without ffb.

Finding a sweet spot for a car/track/sim can be a hassle at times, but at other times it's a few second adjustment or two, no big deal.

Quote :
I think its the feel in the center which is problematic (0 -30 degree)

Yes, what you seem to be describing sounds like a deadzone at/near center.
This is what the low force ffb boost is for.
I'm at about 14% for this track and that seems to work quite well. Too much more than that and I was losing some feel to too much "resistance".

FFB will surely feel better with stuff like TM T300 than G27.
Combination of gear/belt driven ffb gets rid of that often annoying "knotchiness" that can occur in something like a G27 where everything is gear driven.
...ffb from TM products that are driven by both belts and gears is probably TM's best feature (especially on the mid-lower end products)....it's really superior in just about every way to most other products on the market in its price range, so that's a plus Smile

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Apr 2018 - 8:11

Quote :
You're stuck relying only on your eyes to feel the car out. 

I know. I believe that the main reason I prefer no FF is that I came to simracing later in my life, once I had been driving cars and motorbikes for real a long time. I just can't get my head around feeling a car with the canned, artificial feel of the FF. It certainly gives extra info, but I can't relate it to what I feel/do in a real car. If you add to that both the reliability (I am hard on equipment and went through several FF wheels like a hot knife through butter) and the PITA of setting it up and the annoyment of never feeling the same in two different sims, then for an older guy like me it becomes a deal breaker.  :smil20:
Back to top Go down
Jonatan Acerclinth
Racing Legend
Jonatan Acerclinth

Number of posts : 1837
Registration date : 2012-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Apr 2018 - 11:58

That's the exact same reason that I don't use FFB, or very very little.

I started surfacing after I started racing IRL and I just can't get anywhere near the same feeling in the wheel as when I sit in the real thing... :smil20:
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Apr 2018 - 13:54

Makes sense and I can understand that.
I started sim racing with a non ffb wheel. Truthfully, it probably helped me more quickly adapt to the sim world setting as I was forced to rely on the eyes and pay close attention to what the actual car was doing.

Moving over to ffb, I actually found that for a while I was consistently slower.
But, I think a lot of that was that a lot of default type ffb settings are geared towards the same crowd that is always wanting heavier forces, "harder to turn", "more rattle and clank"....ie, they want forces on the wheel that don't exist in the real world and the over saturation of forces jumbles the actual info.

I try to see it as what I would feel on my ass being translated to my hands. I suppose the lack of real world race car driving experience allows me to do that more so than some others that are perhaps already accustomed to far different "feels"...

Really, ffb or the lack thereof, either one is going to be some distance from the information received in a real world car. In the real world, the wheel isn't absolutely dead and without feel either.

So, there's a sort of balance to be had, I think.

But bottom line is, it's what the driver adapts to and how much one is willing to train the brain to do this or that. There's no right way or wrong way and what feels good for one feels like shit to others.

My main issue with lack of ffb has nothing to do with driving it.
It's basically that, without the "resistance" on the wheel from the ffb, over the course of a race, I will tense the muscles in my arms/neck/back...I guess trying to be more precise with inputs :smil20: The lack of resistance makes me feel like my inputs are too large too easily (if that makes sense) and after half hour or an hour, I start to get terrible pains in the neck/back area from "tensing up".
ffb wheel tends to eliminate that issue for me personally, but it also tends to transfer the forces to my elbows and tendinitis in the elbows has recently became an issue for me. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't I guess. :aie:

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Apr 2018 - 16:24

What do you mean with lack of resistance? There sure is a returning spring, and in ECCI wheels also a damping system.  :hum:

For me feeling in the hands what I feel in real life in the back is confusing and unnatural, that is why I never got around using FF. For me the feel of the car's rear end oversteering is not just straightening the wheel, in my real car I somehow feel kinetically the difference in relative angle between my body (No longer pointing in the direction of travel) and my arms, as well as the "hovering" over the tires and suspension in my butt. That tells me where the limit is and it is a very precise relation, which I miserably fail to find in the FF  Neutral  

In my case, I guess all that is also exacerbated by me having started first driving motorbikes and only years later cars. I rely heavily in kinestetic input to drive fast, also in the car and FF in games is confusing for me. 

But then again, I'm no alien in real or simulated life so I guess it's just my own limitations Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat 19 May 2018 - 15:06

Just a short question regarding sound. Can i turn down turn the "gravel" sound somehow which increases with the speed of the car. Its a little bit annoying :hihi:
Back to top Go down
Michal Janak
Racing Legend
Michal Janak

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 20 May 2018 - 1:34

as i said some times, about shifting up in 71 mod, many, many times missed upshifts (and lost positionas on starts specialy), which needs 1s lift off (and using clutch didn help too much)

watched many real onboard and upshifts are flash fast, downshifts are much slower (in 71 mod i can easily shift down without lift of , it is all "little" strange for me

one example 70-71 F312B

Back to top Go down
Austin Johnson
Pro Driver
Austin Johnson

Number of posts : 814
Registration date : 2013-01-14

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 20 May 2018 - 2:54

Michal Janak wrote:
as i said some times, about shifting up in 71 mod,  many, many times missed upshifts (and lost positionas on starts specialy), which needs 1s lift off (and using clutch didn help too much)  

watched many real onboard and upshifts are flash fast,  downshifts are much slower (in 71 mod i can easily shift down without lift of , it is all "little" strange for me

one example 70-71 F312B

Some cars seem to shift a lot better than others? Why are you starting in neutral? You should be in first gear with the clutch pushed in and have it barely dragging like purposely slipping the clutch for the best launch.
Back to top Go down
Michal Janak
Racing Legend
Michal Janak

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 20 May 2018 - 3:02

the problems was with other gears , the 1st one usualy oK, but in 3 races i was unable go to 2nd or 3rd and then lost speed and was overtaken by many cars, watch the replay and hear the sound , when trying 3 times to get next gear, compúletly off the throthle, it is very bad in losing speed, traction and risking destroy the engine by over rews
Back to top Go down
Austin Johnson
Pro Driver
Austin Johnson

Number of posts : 814
Registration date : 2013-01-14

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 20 May 2018 - 6:07

Michal Janak wrote:
the problems was with other gears , the 1st one usualy oK, but in 3 races i was unable go to 2nd or 3rd and then lost speed and was overtaken by many cars, watch the replay and hear the sound , when trying 3 times to get next gear, compúletly off the throthle, it is very bad in losing speed, traction and risking  destroy the engine by over rews

I get what you mean. Idk it's like the lag makes it worse idk but I get ya.
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 20 May 2018 - 17:12

Janak, seriously, this is the LAST TIME i am addressing this! Your car is just like other cars, and i can shift as quick as any onboard you show me or i've seen without missing a single one because i LIFT THE ACCELERATOR AT THE CORRECT TIME!

If you can't do it in the heat of the moment, the problem is on YOUR END, be it lag, your skills, your pedal setup, your controls settings, etc.
Back to top Go down
Chris Stephens
Club Driver

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2016-07-12

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jun 2018 - 3:04

Does anyone know why I would be getting the striped sky? Have lots of tracks and seems only the last couple of 71 mod tracks do this.
The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Stripe10
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jun 2018 - 4:47

Chris Stephens wrote:
Does anyone know why I would be getting the striped sky? Have lots of tracks and seems only the last couple of 71 mod tracks do this.

Max out track details and textures in your in game graphics settings.
Back to top Go down
Chris Stephens
Club Driver

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2016-07-12

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jun 2018 - 21:30

Jason Whited wrote:
Chris Stephens wrote:

Max out track details and textures in your in game graphics settings.

I should have been able to figure that out :doh: Thanks. Been awhile since i raced anything and didn't remember turning it down.
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun 2018 - 15:20

if tracks comes out of my hand and its based on RFACTOR vlm , carrera , gpl conversion ,targa , longford67
or the hso 73usac tracks
they can and must be runn FULL detailes because they build them very stable and are fps friendly:drink:
then the mod itself depends how hard the fps drops down.

but always use highprio and full proc in the shortlink of rfactor and AMS to unlock the cores
Back to top Go down
Timo Vermeersch
Racing Legend
Timo Vermeersch

Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun 2018 - 15:52

François Remmen wrote:

but always use highprio and full proc in the shortlink of rfactor and AMS to unlock the cores

I know it has been posted somewhere on the forum before, but could someone please repeat the exact wording to be added to the command line ref the high priority and full processor use?

Thanks,

Timo
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun 2018 - 16:06

Gamedata\Programs\rFactor\rFactor.exe" +fullproc +hiprio
Back to top Go down
Timo Vermeersch
Racing Legend
Timo Vermeersch

Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun 2018 - 16:07

Many thanks.

Timo
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

Number of posts : 1189
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun 2018 - 16:10

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Gamedata\Programs\rFactor\rFactor.exe" +fullproc +hiprio
Or in AMS's case, it would be Steam - Automobilista - Properties - Set Launch Options - "+fullproc +highprio", right?
Back to top Go down
http://classicmotorsporthub.boards.net
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun 2018 - 16:12

Richard Wilks wrote:
Janak, seriously, this is the LAST TIME i am addressing this! Your car is just like other cars, and i can shift as quick as any onboard you show me or i've seen without missing a single one because i LIFT  THE ACCELERATOR AT THE CORRECT TIME!

If you can't do it in the heat of the moment, the problem is on YOUR END, be it lag, your skills, your pedal setup, your controls settings, etc.

I don't think he's not lifting correctly, It's the opposite, he's not letting the gears engage before he gets back into the gas. I miss shifts all the time, and this is precisely why, getting back into the gas too soon. Also, AMS will NOT let you go to a gear it thinks you shouldn't be in, i.e. try downshifting from 5th straight into 2nd. If you just lift and drop the gear lever it won't go, you have to hit the Clutch too.
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun 2018 - 16:21

Pascal Mikula wrote:
Or in AMS's case, it would be Steam - Automobilista - Properties - Set Launch Options - "+fullproc +highprio", right?

The +fullproc command is not needed in AMS, it's utilized by default.
+highprio, I suppose can/could still be used if wanted/needed. Don't bother with the +fullproc though.

MSI Afterburner, can watch CPU cores on handy graphs. Also GPU, RAM, and a bunch of other stuff.
Highly recommended if wanting/needing to know what is running, it's temps, what hardware is being taxed, etc etc etc.

Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun 2018 - 17:02

Quote :
The +fullproc command is not needed in AMS, it's utilized by default.
+highprio, I suppose can/could still be used if wanted/needed. Don't bother with the +fullproc though.

Exactly. I thought he was asking for rFactor.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Sterr
Club Driver
Gabriel Sterr

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2018-01-03

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 6 Jun 2018 - 20:21

Okay, I am at my wit's end. After trying for two straight after-work evenings, asking for help is no longer below me.
:aie:

What version of the file "71_SURTEES_TS9.HDV" do I need. It's probably not the one in v1.0 or the one in v1.01 of the mod because I already tried those. v1.02 as linked in the rules thread doesn't contain that file.

Keep in mind that this is after me spending hours and two complete AMS reinstalls including a profile wipe figuring out why freaking Paul Ricard wouldn't load only to put the game in windowed mode and seeing that the .scn file is trying to call a "commonmaps3.mas" that is not in the game, the downloaded files for Paul Ricars, or Monaco, or Zandvoort. It's probably in the files for Spain, which the ftp for is down. Nevermind, I just deleted the line calling for it and Paul Ricard works now.

So I would really appreciate if someone could just send me the .hdv file. At this point I care little about small graphics niggles here or there, I just want to get on the server and practice. I know making mods is hard and I really love the work modders do, so don't take this as me ranting about ease of install. But please understand that  at some point I just need to know instead of guess which files to actually run.

Last edited by Gabriel Sterr on Wed 6 Jun 2018 - 21:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next