Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]

Go down 
+35
Philipp Pichler
Pascal Kalide
Raul Jereb
Dana Schurer
Jari Bruppacher
Mick Chapman
Greg DellaCella
Adam Hackman
David Jaques
Richard Wilks
François Remmen
Peter Blom
Grant Riddall
David Jundt
Matthew Hull
Petr Hlavac
Raymond Riddall
Jason Fitch
Lee Simpson
Yves Plaçais
Jason Whited
Steve Parker
Bob Holada
Bruno Chacon
Richard Coxon
David Sabre
Martin Lacina
Jacob Fredriksson
Alberto Ibañez
Mike Becnel
Jan Kowalski
Pascal Mikula
Michael Drechsler
Juha Bos
Jason White
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jun 2017 - 20:38

Jason White wrote:

cheers  Hope you are feeling better!

Thank you Jason, I really am..
tomorow is my first chair sitting :D
I have some tests to do, since some of you are not so pleased with my pace :langue:
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jun 2017 - 22:00

If anyone on here knows Pascal Kalide's email, plz tell him to get his butt on here and confirm.  He's not reading PMs; I don't think he's aware he has a shot at making the field.
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jun 2017 - 22:15

Alan Forster can make it.  :top:
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 14 Jun 2017 - 22:40

Richard Coxon wrote:
Alan Forster can make it.  :top:

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Mick Chapman
Pro Driver
Mick Chapman

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2014-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jun 2017 - 3:42

Any chance I could "upgrade" my car?
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jun 2017 - 6:38

Mick Chapman wrote:
Any chance I could "upgrade" my car?

Sorry, you need to keep the car you attempted to qualify in.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Kalide
Rookie
Pascal Kalide

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2017-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jun 2017 - 8:20

I think i can not make it Neutral
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jun 2017 - 17:33

So there will be three first-come first-serve slots available on Race Day.  (31, 32 and 33)
Back to top Go down
Philipp Pichler
Rookie

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jun 2017 - 21:56

Hi, Jari told me that there is a possibility to drive the Indy 500 here because some regular drivers are not able to show up.

Therefore I would like to ask if this is possible for me?
I understand that I would be a non-alternate and it seems with the FCFS I am in time for a seat.

Is that right or are there some hurdles?

The next question would be which cars are available for my attempt.
Thank you for your help.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jun 2017 - 22:09

This version of track is quite different from the privious one.
I noticed that right away, but now with some more testing Im sure of that..

Maybe a test start/race would be a wise thing to reconsider?
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jun 2017 - 22:18

The only thing different is that there is no apron.

We did a big test race a few weeks ago, all went well. You can practice starts with the AI since we will be using the same procedure (2 wide)
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jun 2017 - 22:19

Richard Coxon wrote:

Well, my car setup is just not working here Sad
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jun 2017 - 22:23

Raul Jereb wrote:
Richard Coxon wrote:

Get with Jaques and pool your resources.
Back to top Go down
Jonatan Acerclinth
Racing Legend
Jonatan Acerclinth

Number of posts : 1837
Registration date : 2012-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 0:02

Philipp Pichler wrote:
Hi, Jari told me that there is a possibility to drive the Indy 500 here because some regular drivers are not able to show up.

Therefore I would like to ask if this is possible for me?
I understand that I would be a non-alternate and it seems with the FCFS I am in time for a seat.

Is that right or are there some hurdles?

The next question would be which cars are available for my attempt.
Thank you for your help.  
Hi Philipp!

All you'll need to do is to pick a car that is not on the official driver and/or Qualy list (I'd assume that all cars that did not Qualify is fair game unless that cars driver shows up wanting to drive that car at Indy as an alternate as well) and compare that to the official car-lineup, I believe it can be found in the qualifying thread (compare there with the cars that made the grid, those that didn't are available as per what I'm saying above).

When you've chosen a car out of those you just need to practice and show up ahead of official practice to get a chance to drive as one of the 3 alternates that is needed to fill out the grid.

This applies for anyone that didn't attempt to qualify for the event obviously, they'd have to chose the car that they tried to qualify.

I hope this helped somewhat at least.
Back to top Go down
Philipp Pichler
Rookie

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 0:33

Thanks for the answer Jonatan.
Jonatan Acerclinth wrote:

All you'll need to do is to pick a car that is not on the official driver and/or Qualy list (I'd assume that all cars that did not Qualify is fair game unless that cars driver shows up wanting to drive that car at Indy as an alternate as well) and compare that to the official car-lineup, I believe it can be found in the qualifying thread (compare there with the cars that made the grid, those that didn't are available as per what I'm saying above).

I´am a bit confused by that. Does that mean I have to pick a car which didn´t qualify or that this would be the "safest" solution because there is likely nobody who wants to use that too.
On the other hand to pick a car which qualified would be a "faster" solution, so if this is possible that would be more ideal. I think in reality the car is making it on the grid and if a driver canot drive the team is looking for reserve driver :rigol:
But ok I will stick with whatever is allowed expect for that Coyne car ^^

Back to top Go down
Jonatan Acerclinth
Racing Legend
Jonatan Acerclinth

Number of posts : 1837
Registration date : 2012-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 0:41

Philipp Pichler wrote:
Thanks for the answer Jonatan.
Jonatan Acerclinth wrote:

I´am a bit confused by that. Does that mean I have to pick a car which didn´t qualify or that this would be the "safest" solution because there is likely nobody who wants to use that too.
On the other hand to pick a car which qualified would be a "faster" solution, so if this is possible that would be more ideal. I think in reality the car is making it on the grid and if a driver canot drive the team is looking for reserve driver  :rigol:
But ok I will stick with whatever is allowed expect for that Coyne car ^^

What I mean is that the cars that has qualified and said that they will be there is surely unavailable as they have someone driving it so you need to look at the cars that didn't qualy or have said that they can't be there for the race (6 cars I believe as there is 3 spots available on the grid).

I hope that clears that up Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 8:23

Raul Jereb wrote:

Why not? There are only two differences between both tracks, apron and banking. The 1988 one has apron, but since it is unusable you were not driving there anyway, and the banking is slightly higher here (Tiny difference) so it will make your car slightly quicker. But the turn radius and general banking are the same, so the setup should work in both, mine for sure does. Maybe the difference is that you lost your reference points for turn entry with the new graphics and need to find the correct point again. Just some meters more or less can screw all your line, so you probably have to work on a that a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 9:07

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Maybe the difference is that you lost your reference points for turn entry with the new graphics and need to find the correct point again. Just some meters more or less can screw all your line, so you probably have to work on a that a bit more.

Indeed this is the reason No.1, and Im working on it.

On the other hand, my car is not behaving same as on prior track..
After you helped me with setup, I hadnt touch anything and the car was ok. It wasnt maybe the fastest option, but it was stable and I had confidence in it. I could push, and feel I control it.

Now, with more or less same approach, Im loosing my rear in turns. Mostly T3 exit and T4 entry.. Then I started to change some wings and rear suspension parameters, but all I could get is less turn entry, so I started to be forced to slow down before entry.
This, by itself is not a problem so much, but when I try to push, I just loose the car. Mainly, becose of reason No.1, but again, it is not the same setup any more, which trumbles my self confidence..

Ill be on server tonight, so, if you, David or Scott appear, Id like to discuss it with you. Not so much for getting the setup-out-of-the-box (Im greatly thankfull for that), but more for knowing and understanding, and finaly, to confirm if my thinking is on the right path (and to see why Im unable to resolve it by myself).

As allways, thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 9:13

What is happening is likely that you get now quicker through turn 3 and are likely understeering a bit at that higher speed, so when you force the car into turn 4 it scrubs a bit of speed, grips, and you get inmediate oversteer. Two things to try first with the original setup are: 1) Modify your line to enter turn 3 slightly higher/later, and 2) reduce one degree the steering angle and try to put the same steering input into the corner. Adjust your speed with throttle until you get it right.
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 10:27

Raul,

How much full fuel running have you done before this?

My only suggestion is fill the car with fuel and go run until she is empty. Then do it again. Then again. The trick is to not kill the car before she comes to you. You need to know how the car's behavior changes as the fuel burns off. Full fuel upsets all the chassis. She will begin to behave as more fuel burns off. When you have made several full fuel runs, then you will know how to adjust your driving over a full stint and where you can change the car to help you.

No one has a magic setup to let you run flat-out for 200 laps! I seriously doubt the Penske cars will be doing that. You must manage the boost, the gearing, and yourself.

There is no substitute for seat time!

I will try to look for you online before race day and see if I can spot any thing that helps, but I can't say how much I'll be around.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 12:05

Scott Urick wrote:

How much full fuel running have you done before this?

No one has a magic setup to let you run flat-out for 200 laps! I seriously doubt the Penske cars will be doing that. You must manage the boost, the gearing, and yourself.

There is no substitute for seat time!

I will try to look for you online before race day and see if I can spot any thing that helps, but I can't say how much I'll be around.

Hey Scott,
thank you for helping.
Im aware of the fact that there is no better setup than hours in the car! Im doing my best, but I just cant spend so much time behind the pc wheel :smil20:

And, yes, I was doing just that, Im constantly starting with full tank, and observing behaviour. The tricky part is that after first (allmost) full stint, I lost that magic piece called confidence, and from that point all started to roll down the hill. I know there is no "magic" setup, I trully dont expect one, but my lack of understending what is going on pushes me deeper under water, when after several tryouts I start to suspect that previous experience is sheer luck, no more. And that worries me. And I know it warries Jason too :hihi: !! Jokes aside, my main problem is, I dont understand the car setups, Im however growing in that area, but as you noticed, seat time is crutial, and Im not having it, and thus I just cant feel, or notice that small changes Im making (I do some, really, but some are just too hidden for me).

Ill do as much as possible as you said, of corse, and once again, I dont expect a "magic" setup from you guys, finaly Im beyond that, even maybe it does not look that way, I prefer to be slower and on my own than faster without knowing why.. Im just too affraid of some colateral damage I might cause, and tbh, that is making shit out of me scarry!!

Thank you all for helping, you are the best, I hope I wont dissapoint you all. (but I wouldnt take that to the bank - is it being said like that?? :rigol: )

see you
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 12:38

Raul in the worst case scenario some more wing both front and rear will make the car slower but more stable. It is better to run 200 laps slow with confidence than 10 scared and ending in the wall.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 13:39

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Raul in the worst case scenario some more wing both front and rear will make the car slower but more stable. It is better to run 200 laps slow with confidence than 10 scared and ending in the wall.

Haha, dear Alberto, no more clicks for wing. Those are at max Smile

But to be a bit optimistic, I did some changes today, and car behaves better. And I made 100 laps, which is maybe helpfull :hihi:

And, to clear something, car is not undrivable, far from that.. its just that Im not able tu push harder when Id like to, and its the starting point of my cry!!

I see the light at the end, though!! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 14:27

Scott Urick wrote:

No one has a magic setup to let you run flat-out for 200 laps! I seriously doubt the Penske cars will be doing that.

I sure don't dare it above half load Wink But yeah, the setup needs some slight adjustments nontheless. Feels a bit to set now.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jun 2017 - 16:31

We will now have four first-come first-serve slots available for Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up] - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next