Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]

Go down 
+40
Filippo Marazzi
Steven Klein
Jason Whited
Roberto Mello
Cláudio Augusto
Pascal Mikula
Dana Schurer
Scott Urick
Yves Plaçais
Lee Simpson
Frank Verplanken
Michal Janak
Martin Lacina
Steve Parker
Pascal Kalide
Grant Riddall
Jacob Fredriksson
Richard Coxon
Peter Blom
Jan Kowalski
David Sabre
Alberto Ibañez
Karel Marciniszyn
Raul Jereb
Rob Swindells
Jason Fitch
Bob Holada
Greg DellaCella
François Remmen
David Jaques
Adam Hackman
Petr Hlavac
Bruno Chacon
David Jundt
Juha Bos
Michael Drechsler
Matthew Hull
Raymond Riddall
Jari Bruppacher
Jason White
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 3 May 2017 - 17:20

I seem to have some major bug in the car, being about half a second slower in the same car... pale
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 3 May 2017 - 20:47

Take your current setup that you've run your fast time in, and then just run it, over and over and over and over and over and over.

Indy is about consistency, it's about entering every corner the same way every lap, lap after lap. But you also need to find the fast point to enter.

ALL of these chassis are different, that Penske will let you turn in just about anywhere and it will track through the corner, the March 88 is a bit less forgiving, but it'll still let you run offline, the March 87 and 86 have to be spot on to the line or your going up to the wall. Further with the March 87, you've got to drive the hell out of it to be really fast. I'm not real sure about the Lola's as I haven't really driven them around here yet. I'm sure Scott can tell you about them, as he's tested just about everything out there.

So, don't adjust your setup to try and get more speed out of it until you're comfortable running the setup as is, and you're driving it the best that you can. The setup I'm currently running I had managed a 41.99x with it after that, I couldn't get the thing below a 42. After HUNDREDS of laps running I finally was comfortable enough with it to make a small adjustment. Which resulted in knocking a considerable amount of time off.

A few pointers....

#1 don't go out and try to run Flat right off the bat. Only about 5 cars will be able to do this and you're most likely not in one of them.

#2 So, you need to be lifting going into 1 and 3 at the least. Possibly 2 and 4 as well. No, when I say lifting I don't mean coming all the way off the throttle, this is more akin to just breathing the throttle, let's say going from 100% to maybe 90%, possibly 85% at the lowest. This will help settle the nose of the car and help it turn.

When you enter the turns you need to take the car down to the white line, the yellow ideally, but the white line will work as well.

Now, lifting will also cause an issue. If you back off the throttle the car will develop an understeer, which can be severe. Remember these cars have Ground Effects and the wings are there to basically trim out the car.

Which leads to.....

#3 if you can't get the car to turn, you need to adjust the wings. When you're going over 200MPH/300KMH there is no such thing as Mechanical Grip, 95-99% of your grip is being generated by the underbody tunnels and the wings. If the car won't turn increase the front wing, if it's oversteering then either increase the Rear wing or reduce the Front wing. Personally, I would leave the rear wing at 1 or 2 and no where else, use the Front wing to get through the corner. Now, if you're adjusting the wings and you get to a point where you've lost significant top speed or it's still not working, then you need to adjust the suspension. A good base starting point is to keep the Left sides the same and the Rights the same. so for instance Front and Rear Lefts will be 500lbs on the shocks and the Rights will be 1000lbs. Run the ride heights as low as you can get them but remember to keep the proper Rake angle from front to back.

finally, if all else fails, try and find Scott on the server and he'll help you!
Back to top Go down
Lee Simpson
Club Driver

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2015-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 0:28

:conduit: Looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
Karel Marciniszyn
Pro Driver
Karel Marciniszyn

Number of posts : 954
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 8:00

Thank you Jason very much...I really appreciate your post here! Now I have an idea what to do!! study :hello:
Back to top Go down
http://f-easter.webnode.cz/
Yves Plaçais
Racing Legend
Yves Plaçais

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 8:09

:conduit:
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 12:53

Jason Fitch wrote:

. . . . if all else fails, try and find Scott on the server and he'll help you!

Awwwww . . . Fitchy was taking notes. :clap: I'm touched. scratch At least now I don't have to write it up. lol!

Well done, Fitch!

One point to add: DO NOT ignore cornering speed for the sake of straightaway speed! Achieving 230mph on the long straights does you no good if you have to slow to 180mph to make the next corner. Besides, poor exit speed will preclude anything approaching good straightaway speed! Despite her size, Indianapolis is most definitely a "handling" track.

And, like Fitch said, I'm more than willing to help with setups and optimizing your lines. Just get your TS working and send me a PM letting me know when you would like to get together.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 13:05

BTW Scott, how come you haven't picked a car yet? scratch
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 13:07

Scott is 100% correct regarding the importance of cornering speed.  :top:

This was a likely a key reason why a few people didn't make the 33-car cut last year; by trimming out the car too much, you can lose gobs of time in the corners, thus nullifying any extra straight line speed gained.
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 13:08

Scott Urick wrote:

And, like Fitch said, I'm more than willing to help with setups and optimizing your lines. Just get your TS working and send me a PM letting me know when you would like to get together.

Oh, Im counting on you Scott, but it will be next week, since this one my resources are on Hockenheimnapolis...

thanks
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 13:08

Scott is waiting until the priority list period is over. (Next Monday)
There will be cars available Wink
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 13:09

Oopss forgot it was 3 days Embarassed 

Sorry Scott if I raised your blood pressure for a moment :hihi:
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 15:15

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Oopss forgot it was 3 days Embarassed 

Sorry Scott if I raised your blood pressure for a moment :hihi:

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh! lol!
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 15:17

Raul Jereb wrote:
Scott Urick wrote:

Oh, Im counting on you Scott, but it will be next week, since this one my resources are on Hockenheimnapolis...

thanks

Don't worry about it, Raul. Just let me drive your car for you. Wink
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 16:19

Fun fact: If I go down on wings one click front and rear, I lose about 3 or 4 kph on exit. Yet, my top speed before the entry of the next corner ain't any higher. I'm stuck at 361 kph. If I go one click higher, I don't gain any cornering speed, but I lose top speed. PB is driven with 5/2 or 6/2 F/R.

Those guys lapping with Cossies, Buicks and the likes will hate me now, but ATM, my car feels like it could make good use of some more horses... :hihi:
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 17:36

Michael Drechsler wrote:
Those guys lapping with Cossies, Buicks and the likes will hate me now, but ATM, my car feels like it could make good use of some more horses... :hihi:

:doh: Ummm, don't look now but Janak is 0.48s faster than your time and my best is only 0.11s slower than him! And while we won't be able to drive Penske/Chevys, two other guys can. And there are 10 more days before qualifications.

Back to work, wunderkind! lol!
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 18:21

Scott Urick wrote:
Michael Drechsler wrote:

:doh: Ummm, don't look now but Janak is 0.48s faster than your time and my best is only 0.11s slower than him! And while we won't be able to drive Penske/Chevys, two other guys can. And there are 10 more days before qualifications.

Back to work, wunderkind! lol!

I know the times and I know I'm somewhere wrong with my setup right now. :hello: What I meant is that in the config I did my personal best, the car is so firmly planted, the performance is not limited by the grip the tires can provide, but the engine not being able to push the car further forward. Luxury problem for most Wink
The logical step is to go one click less downforce, but right now I scrub off to much speed and gain nuffin.

The last 1/2 second is always the hardest to find Smile
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 21:48

Precisely! And you're correct in looking at the wings. Good call!

A good crew chief's rule of thumb for Indianapolis qualifications: "If the driver wants more horsepower, he/she is too comfortable and not earning their money. Keep trimming the car out until they come back in white in the face with a load in their pants!" affraid  If nobody important ever said that, they should have.

Next step(s)? Be sure and save your current setup as a baseline (obviously a good one), then rename a duplicate as your test bed. Go ahead and drop your wings (that's where the speed will be). Then, start looking into the suspension. In various combinations, try softening the springs, bumps, rebounds, and anti-roll bars, as well as adjusting cambers and tire pressures.

I save every change as a new setup number, as in Q2, Q3, Q4 and so on. That way, if you feel you've started down a wrong path, you can back up to a previous setup version without trying to remember what you changed last.

The good news? Once you have the perfect qually setup, you get to do it all over again for the race.

The best news? Excepting changes for fuel, gearing, and adding some wing for stability in traffic, she should be relatively close.

Excellent observation on the tires scrubbing speed! A lot of drivers insist on ignoring that. But as we mentioned above, cornering speed is the ONLY way to get maximum straightaway speed. For testing purposes, try turning up your sound effects volume just a touch, so you can hear the tires scrubbing a little better. And you can always keep polishing your line to reduce scrub that extra little bit.

Sorry for calling you "wunderkind". But then again, you do have the hot car! Laughing

If you want any help or just want to confer, let me know.

Keep up the good work and Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 23:30

No offense taken, but you sure have confirmed my thoughts. Though I have to take into account its a whole different generation of cars, so far I never experienced that 'its trying to kill me!'-sensation the Eagle last year constantly gave me. Michal's March showed me who really is in charge when I tested it, but the Penske? Not yet! :yaa:
Back to top Go down
Juha Bos
Racing Legend
Juha Bos

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2016-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 4 May 2017 - 23:52

Michael Drechsler wrote:
Though I have to take into account its a whole different generation of cars, so far I never experienced that 'its trying to kill me!'-sensation the Eagle last year constantly gave me.

Try an older spec March if you want to experience that feeling in this mod. :D
Back to top Go down
http://www.rallyfoto.be
Convidado

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 5 May 2017 - 2:05

Can i use the one off ''#36 Johnny Parsons'' ? (Sorry I waiting may 8th and I asking remaing cars, if remaing Laughing (post edited)
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 5 May 2017 - 2:14

You can pick a car on May 8
Back to top Go down
Dana Schurer
Experienced Driver
Dana Schurer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2015-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 7 May 2017 - 19:36

:conduit:
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 7 May 2017 - 19:43

Philippe Henrique wrote:
Can i use the one off ''#36 Johnny Parsons'' ? (Sorry I waiting may 8th and I asking remaing cars, if remaing Laughing (post edited)

Until May the 8th you can however practice with any free car in the server, so that you can evaluate it in traffic and real conditions.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 7 May 2017 - 23:15

The one-off list is now open to anyone
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

Number of posts : 1189
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 7 May 2017 - 23:30

Jason White wrote:
The one-off list is now open to anyone
Including me or am I still being investigated?
In case I'm allowed to take a car, I'd like to take Gary Bettenhausen's #46.
Back to top Go down
http://classicmotorsporthub.boards.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]   Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th] - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Indianapolis 500 Entry List and Time Trials [May 14th]
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next