Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)

Go down 
+26
Lewis Stephens
Mick Chapman
David Jaques
Raul Jereb
Simon Wattman
Sky Willis
Petr Hlavac
Scott Urick
Jason Fitch
Martin Lacina
Pascal Mikula
Jukka Närhi
David Sabre
Bob Holada
Alberto Ibañez
Ludovic Tiengou
Jan Kowalski
Jacob Fredriksson
Lee Simpson
James Knowles
Juha Bos
Dana Schurer
Michael Drechsler
Bob Wilson
Richard Coxon
Jason White
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2016-05-17

Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Sep 2016 - 23:58

Woke up my computer a few minutes in to pre-race practice and I get the message that my computer had just been updated.  OH NO the dreaded Anniversary update for Win 10.  Now I know that for some people there are no problems. But I've also read tales of problems with Graphic drivers.  Sound.  Deleted programs etc.
My problem was that my Logitech G25 wheel was all messed up.  I had to re-assign my buttons and all the other stuff under controls.  Still had 10 minutes left in practice and MY STEERING IS ALL MESSED UP.
It was way to sensitive and also the throttle seemed a little off.  Changing the steering in the garage to its lowest setting got it pretty close but the throttle was still off.  Its now time to Qualify and I have lost a lot of confidence.  But I did qualify just not as fast as I could have.  Waiting for the pace lap to start and I try to blip the throttle.   But I find that the throttle and brake are on the same axis.  The fix for that would be to restart the Logitech software.  Luckily Bob Wilson had shared a Setup that allowed me to lap with minimal brake usage.  So my confidence was at 90% of where it had been the day before.  The race went poorly.  No reason to share the boring details. I ended up 14th.  Nuts!

Last edited by BoB Holada on Mon 26 Sep 2016 - 18:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 0:26

Jason White wrote:
Alan, I watched the replay of both starts, and it appears you just didn't get away from the grid quick enough.  I'm not sure if it's down to the gamepad you are using, but you'll have to find a way to get away without lagging behind, because the rFactor server is really quick to slap people with the order to go to the back.  The key is in making sure the revs are up as you pull away so that the the turbo stays lit.

The controller triggers are too sensitive to hold the revs up so its difficult to match the get away of others(tends to cost me 5+secs in pitstops) but I thought the second start was as good as its going to get and I was right behind Dana before we got to turn 1. Would my drive through penalty(s) after the first caution be for the same reason, I'm pretty sure I was already last in line?
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 0:33

Alan Forster wrote:
Jason White wrote:
Alan, I watched the replay of both starts, and it appears you just didn't get away from the grid quick enough.  I'm not sure if it's down to the gamepad you are using, but you'll have to find a way to get away without lagging behind, because the rFactor server is really quick to slap people with the order to go to the back.  The key is in making sure the revs are up as you pull away so that the the turbo stays lit.

The controller triggers are too sensitive to hold the revs up so its difficult to match the get away of others(tends to cost me 5+secs in pitstops) but I thought the second start was as good as its going to get and I was right behind Dana before we got to turn 1. Would my drive through penalty(s) after the first caution be for the same reason, I'm pretty sure I was already last in line?

When you say first caution, do you mean the first start attempt?
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 0:37

Jason White wrote:

No the first safety car period in the race after about 20 laps.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 0:44

Alan Forster wrote:
Jason White wrote:

Ok let me look at the replay and I'll get back to you.
Back to top Go down
Bob Wilson
Club Driver
Bob Wilson

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2016-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 2:07

Quote :
Luckily Bob Wilson had shared a Setup that allowed me to lap with minimal brake usage.  So my confidence was at 90% of where it had been the day before.  The race went poorly.  No reason to share the boring details. I finished up ended up 14th.  Nuts!

Hey Bob,

You drove a good race even with your controller problems.  I used the setup I shared with you because I do not like to use a lot of brake on short ovals. You did good...you finished!  I finished my first USAC race today so all in all, it was not a bad day for the guys from Milwaukee. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 4:34

Screenies up

http://historicsimracing.org/en/resultatscourse/1209
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 4:51

Alan Forster wrote:
Jason White wrote:

Looking at the replay, it appears that both you and Scott Urick pitted before there had been one full lap behind the safety car.  This could account for the unusual events that followed (his being ordered to the front and you being given a drive thru penalty).
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 5:08

Alan Forster wrote:

Alan, you need to look in rFactor controller settings -- the digital rates section. Where all of us using wheels adjust on the analog side, your gamepad needs to be adjusted on the digital side. You can desensitize your control triggers to make getaways smoother. You can also optimize your steering controls to help run smoother lines so you're not saw-toothing the corners, twitching down the straights and scaring the hell out of the rest of us at 200mph around Ontario. pale

You've got a Class A car and you're damned fast in it! But the 16C is already has a knife-edge personality and you must have snow-white hair that stands straight up trying to control it with a hair-trigger gp on default settings.

I adjust my throttle sensitivity from track to track. And you can do the same with your digital rates -- and you don't even have to leave the room to do it. If you want some help with it, PM me and we can get on TS, I'll put up a server and help you sort it out. I don't have any experience setting up for a game pad, but I think I can get you started.
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 6:04

Jason White wrote:
Alan Forster wrote:
Jason White wrote:

Looking at the replay, it appears that both you and Scott Urick pitted before there had been one full lap behind the safety car.  This could account for the unusual events that followed (his being ordered to the front and you being given a drive thru penalty).

Oooooooooooooo! Really? Twisted Evil

No, seriously! It was a royal pain trying to get all the way up to the SC before going back to green and I had to take some nasty risks weaving around cars at pace speed. I was never going to contend for the win and I DID NOT want to be up amongst those of you who were. I also tried to let contenders pass as judiciously and safely as I could.

My main concern in getting up to the safety car, when told to do so, was save anyone in left in front of me from getting a penalty. And I'm sure it happened at least twice, maybe three times. It would have mangled the field, caused mass confusion, seriously angered anyone penalized, then caused untold carnage as the fast cars with pissed-off drivers came ripping through the field with blood in their eyes! And that's not good for the series or anyone associated with it.

It would have been a hell of an advantage, especially if I had realized why it was happening. And it could have been a way to win! But not my way. I am, by far, not the fastest driver out there (may never be), but I work my ass off getting ready for every race. If I win one, it will be because I found a sweet spot in the racing line, something in a setup, got lucky with a pit strategy (not like today), or just have a once-in-a-lifetime drive -- something like Dana and Jukka did the last 20 laps today! I'm not gonna game the system.

If you weren't watching the broadcast of today's race the end the replay is a "must watch". Much better than anything I've seen in the real world for a long time!

I needed a cigarette after watching that finish! Almost better than sex.

Congratulations to Dana and Jukka! The was one whale of a show.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 8:41

Well, well ... not the finest way to celebrate your birthday, but in the end at least I had some fun in the broadcast cabin.

I was never 100% comfortable with the Parnelli here and suspected an attrition race, so I decided to skip qualy and start last to warm up to the track and settle in a rythm, knowing there would be some yellows. I was up to 10th place carefully overtaking each car, when (For a change Very Happy ) I got very lucky with the first yellow. It came when I had only 2-3 gallons left and shot tires, so I went in following Dana and Jukka and emerged 5th. It was not really the best position as I knew I had behind me some cars that were quicker, so I did not defend too strongly as my strategy was to stay out of trouble. During the following laps it was a bit hectic dodging around the bunched up field, but I was managing reasonably well when I was hit hard by Ludo, who had entered the turn too quick, and sent to the wall. The engine stalled and the right side was beyond repair, so I could not bring the car down to the grass to avoid a yellow :smil20:

Apologizes to Martin Lacina for an early braking I did after a turn where I did the exact opposite. Reason is, the Clubsport brake pedal sometimes doesn't slide back well to position and the load cell gets out of calibration until you reset it pressing and depressing it completely. On one turn I found myself heading for the wall when it did not brake at all, on the next I had to smash the pedal early to get the calibration back (It worked), but I scared the hell of poor Martin in the process.

After the accident I joined the broadcast and had a really great time there Very Happy , specially watching the fight between Dana and Jukka for the win. I guess we all rooted for Jukka, who was driving with a damaged car and could put some interest in the championship race, but Dana again cold bloodedly nailed him at the end. Great job again lady, respect :hello:

One last thing guys: At the back there seem to be people who still do not follow a staggered formation under yellow and insist to sniffing the car in front's ass, as dogs in the park. That is unacceptable and leadas easily to contact. Please don't do that.
Back to top Go down
Jukka Närhi
Racing Legend
Jukka Närhi

Number of posts : 1905
Registration date : 2009-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 15:26

The end was almost as exciting for the viewers as it was for me behind the wheel :D Great job in the commentary booth again, guys! :top:

What can I say about the race? I qualified a lot better than I could hope for and in the race everything worked brilliantly. I picked up a bit of damage at some point but I don't believe it affected me enough to use that as an excuse. On the last lap I had to protect the inside, couldn't quite stick to the bottom on worn tyres and Dana got by. It's no big deal, it was all clean and fair and I enjoyed it immensely Very Happy :clap:
Back to top Go down
Martin Lacina
Experienced Driver
Martin Lacina

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2016-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 18:34

Alberto Ibañez wrote:

Apologizes to Martin Lacina for an early braking I did after a turn where I did the exact opposite. Reason is, the Clubsport brake pedal sometimes doesn't slide back well to position and the load cell gets out of calibration until you reset it pressing and depressing it completely. On one turn I found myself heading for the wall when it did not brake at all, on the next I had to smash the pedal early to get the calibration back (It worked), but I scared the hell of poor Martin in the process.

Its ok Alberto. I didnt loose the front wing so i survived without any fatal damage. If i can tell true i was not sure if it was my mistake ok your. Unfortunatelly based on this incident when i want into the pits i forgot again to disable the repair of the body because i didnt feel any trouble and ad to stay in the box 69s so that i lost the lap during the yellow. Up to this pitstop i was in the same lap as Dana and Jukka.
Anyway im wery satistifed that i finish the race and the fifth possition is great for me. Congratulation to Jukka and Dana. Great finish of the race.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Sep 2016 - 22:58

Jason White wrote:
Alan Forster wrote:
Jason White wrote:

So when the pits say they're open you have to complete the lap you're just starting and then pit on the lap after that?

Scott Urick wrote:
Alan Forster wrote:

Alan, you need to look in rFactor controller settings -- the digital rates section. Where all of us using wheels adjust on the analog side, your gamepad needs to be adjusted on the digital side. You can desensitize your control triggers to make getaways smoother. You can also optimize your steering controls to help run smoother lines so you're not saw-toothing the corners, twitching down the straights and scaring the hell out of the rest of us at 200mph around Ontario. pale

You've got a Class A car and you're damned fast in it! But the 16C is already has a knife-edge personality and you must have snow-white hair that stands straight up trying to control it with a hair-trigger gp on default settings.

I adjust my throttle sensitivity from track to track. And you can do the same with your digital rates -- and you don't even have to leave the room to do it. If you want some help with it, PM me and we can get on TS, I'll put up a server and help you sort it out. I don't have any experience setting up for a game pad, but I think I can get you started.

Thanks for the advice Scott but I did spend ages before Indy getting the control settings and the base setup for these cars how I like them and don't fancy changing them now as it took me probably thousands of laps at Indy to get them right and don't want to go through all that again.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 3:21

Alan Forster wrote:
So when the pits say they're open you have to complete the lap you're just starting and then pit on the lap after that?

If the "pits open" announcement came when the pace car was crossing the s/f line, it may have been referring the lap it was starting rather than the out lap that just ended.  Regardless of what the server says, the tracks are set for the pits to be open after one complete lap behind the pace car under yellow. The out lap for the pace car does not count as that one complete lap.  So if you come in before there has been one complete lap behind the pace car, that could cause server confusion and result in penalties.
Back to top Go down
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2016-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 4:03

Jason White wrote:
Alan Forster wrote:

If the "pits open" announcement came when the pace car was crossing the s/f line, it may have been referring the lap it was starting rather than the out lap that just ended.  Regardless of what the server says, the tracks are set for the pits to be open after one complete lap behind the pace car under yellow. The out lap for the pace car does not count as that one complete lap.  So if you come in before there has been one complete lap behind the pace car, that could cause server confusion and result in penalties.

Thats fine if you're at the front half of the pack.  The back half seemed to take forever to catch up so it was very difficult to determine when this complete lap was finished.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 17:22

So although the game was saying the pits were open as the pace car exited the pits as the leaders started lap 17 (I was still on lap 16, but not a lap down) the pits were not actually open until the end of lap 18 for all the lead lap cars?

The game told me the pits were open as I was starting lap 17 so thought it would be safe to pit at end of that lap.

Sorry to keep posting about this but I want to make sure I and others understand the rules so as to avoid these penalties in future races.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 17:34

If the game told you the pits were open you should not get a penalty. It is however not difficult to miss the message in the mayhem that ensues the yellow being thrown and the game starting to give you orders.

There is however one thing more telling than any other regarding wheter you are already on the caution lap or not, and that is getting the message about what car to follow and seeing the name of that driver (Use the TAB key) highlighted in yellow. You will only get that message once the game sees you as under the yellow and not just racing back to catch the pack. I believe that once you see that message and car highlighted in yellow, you will get open pits the next time you are by the pìts entrance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 17:51

The game was telling me pits were open for a whole lap before I pitted, I keep the player names on all the time as I find it helpful to know who I'm racing against and the car in front had been highlighted yellow for a couple of laps before pitting also.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 17:56

Alan, is it possible you did something else to trigger the penalty, like overtaking a car before the restart was declared? Not being accusatory, just trying to consider all the possibilities.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 18:04

Nope I rejoined the queue behind Scott then when he moved up I was behind Lewis until the restart, think I was last in line too. I have watched the replay a few times and the only other thing I can see that might of caused it was that as I was entering turn 1 the pace car was exiting the pit lane but the name never changed from white to yellow it stayed yellow on the car in front so I passed it?
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 18:08

How is it possible that you were already some laps under yellow when you pitted, if the SC was coming out when you entered the pits? scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 18:16

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
How is it possible that you were already some laps under yellow when you pitted, if the SC was coming out when you entered the pits? scratch

No I was still on race track when SC came out of pits and passed it as I entered turn 1 on lap 16, I pitted at end of lap 17.

Jason White wrote:

Passed the pace car?

I did but it was still on the pit exit lane just emerging pass end of the pit wall when I entered turn 1.
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 18:18

I'll look at the replay and come back
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Sep 2016 - 18:20

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
I'll look at the replay and come back

I would also look at Scott's entry into the pits.  If he overtook cars on track while driving through the pit lane (not saying he did, but IF he did) it may have caused a scoring snafu at the line, which could account for why the server ordered him to the front.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)   Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th) - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round 8 - Milwaukee (Sep 25th)
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next