Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

**1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**

Go down 
+13
Dana Schurer
Mike Becnel
François Remmen
Jacob Fredriksson
Richard Wilks
Guillaume Siebert
Alberto Ibañez
Matthias Weber
Dylan Canton
Richard Coxon
Jan Kowalski
Raul Jereb
Jason White
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

**1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Empty
PostSubject: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeSun 15 May 2016 - 23:47

1983 Internationale Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft

**1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** DRMUP

--> DOWNLOAD UPDATED PHYSICS <--
--> DOWNLOAD TEST SERVER TRACK <--
=> HOTLAPS <=

Our colleague Richard Wilks has created revised physics for the second half of our DRM series.  The next three rounds will be on shorter courses, where good handling will be crucial.  We feel that Richard's updates are not only an improvement on what we had before, but will be essential for the enjoyment of the remaining races.  We thank him for his hard work and dedication to making this series better!   Very Happy

On May 15th, following Indy Time Trials, we will launch a test server with these physics. This will give everyone two full weeks to re-familiarize themselves with the cars, plus prepare for round 4 on May 29th.  Please note:  the relative performance of the cars in terms of pecking order are still the same (956 is the quickest), although gaps have been reduced.  The following text is from the readme located in the zip file:

Installing:

We recommend you create a new dedicated install for the GTPC mod if you race the mod in other leagues.
To install simply extract into your Virtua_LM GTPC install.

What's new:

- Completely redone aerodynamics based on real values

- Steering geometry corrected

- Completely new tires with both bias ply and Radial present

- More realistic tire wear and tire grip

- All car wing upgrades now affect the physics, while before they were cosmetic only.

- Various bugs and oddities corrected

- Creation of default setups so vehicles can race at Le Mans

- Not all vehicles are overhauled yet, but they will be for v1.0

Considerations:

- Tires will have an optimum operating temperature. This is around 85ºC for the hards, 90 for the mediums,
95 for the softs and 100 for the qualifying tires.

- The softer the tire, the higher the optimum temperature is, but the tire will have a smaller usable window

- If the tire gets too hot, it will start to lose grip quickly, specially anything over 110º

- Brakes will fade considerably if they go beyond 500ºC. A way to avoid this is to the reduce brake pressure in the car setups screen.
[/center]

Last edited by Jason White on Sat 18 Jun 2016 - 0:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 7:26

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 8:57

Red Lancia incoming :D :conduit:
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 9:10

We'd obviously love to hear your feedback on the new physics, positive preferably Wink , just post them in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Canton
Experienced Driver
Dylan Canton

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 10:21

so the rotary car handling superiority gets reduced by making the other cars handle better?
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 10:29

Have you tried it? Or just commenting before you have?

We have improved all of the cars. The main difference is the cars are more stable as they should be and not on a knife edge. Even your car will feel better. We haven't just changed other cars and left the half decent cars, we have improved them all.
Back to top Go down
Matthias Weber
Pro Driver
Matthias Weber

Number of posts : 520
Registration date : 2013-08-06

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 12:27

To match Dylan :
So my only advantage of my Sthemo - the handling- will be gone? Sad

Man you guys always complaining about the rotarys, but never driven the Sthemo with it's "Trabant" engine Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.wud-ev.de
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 12:28

To match Richard:

Drive it first, then comment.
Back to top Go down
Matthias Weber
Pro Driver
Matthias Weber

Number of posts : 520
Registration date : 2013-08-06

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 13:35

Yeah i will.

Thanks for your hard work developing that mod! :top:

I knew what my skill would be when i chose my car, just driving for fun! :biggrin:
Back to top Go down
http://www.wud-ev.de
Dylan Canton
Experienced Driver
Dylan Canton

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 15:45

to Richard and Alberto, try driving it during a race, and then you may know why we complain
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 15:48

So drive the new version before you complain about the new physics.

Last edited by Richard Coxon on Mon 16 May 2016 - 15:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
Guillaume Siebert

Number of posts : 13827
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 15:49

Send your complaint to Mazda Smile
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 15:59

Richard Coxon wrote:
So drive the new version before you complain about the new physics.

+1
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 16:59

Guillaume Siebert wrote:
Send your complaint to Mazda Smile
lol!

People complaining here, but i only see Pascal Mikula and Francois Remmen on the laps chart, so i expect your names there and then tell me something Wink
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 18:40

My Zakspeed feels about the same. Maybe a bit more responsive front end? Still a lot of understeer mid corner.
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 18:53

very simple

this should be officialy released!
:clap: :clap:
Back to top Go down
Mike Becnel
Racing Legend
Mike Becnel

Number of posts : 4741
Registration date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 19:00

Dylan Canton wrote:
so the rotary car handling superiority gets reduced by making the other cars handle better?

Your feedback is inline with the usefulness of the teets on a bore hog. in addition, comsidering the massive improvements in driveability of every car you may find you are very lonely with your opinion.
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 19:06

Jacob Fredriksson wrote:
My Zakspeed feels about the same. Maybe a bit more responsive front end? Still a lot of understeer mid corner.

So you don't think it's more stable under braking, acceleration, cornering? I did when I tested it.
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 19:13

Richard Coxon wrote:
Jacob Fredriksson wrote:

So you don't think it's more stable under braking, acceleration, cornering? I did when I tested it.

To be honest, I haven't had problems with acceleration and cornering. You are probably right about the brakes, if I didn't think about the brakes then that's an improvement!
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 19:16

The Ford C100/Zakspeed was one of the better original cars in the mod, handling wise, but if you are unsure about the changes, go and try the Porsche 936, that car is massivley different.
Back to top Go down
Dana Schurer
Experienced Driver
Dana Schurer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2015-04-19

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 20:15

De Cadenet feels good! :top: I hadn't had much running with it before but it's certainly more tossable than I remember.

If there's another version of the patch released later, may I request increasing the top limit of SteeringLockRange in the HDV? An upper limit in the 28-32 degree range would be much appreciated for 900 degree wheel users like myself who inevitable forget to adjust controller settings before joining the server. A small and unnecessary detail, of course, but I'd certainly be grateful. study
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 21:45

If i remember correctly, the problem with setting such high steering angles is that graphics wise we would see wheels through the bodywork because the real cars didnt turn them that far. But i can take a look at that.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 22:03

I tryed few laps with old version and few laps with new version.
I was faster with old one, but the fact is I like this new one more.
Somehow, Im getting more information on what is going on with the car, and I am a little bit more confident in what Im giving to him... its reaction to my imputs are clearer.

956 was a cutie to drive and still is, so maybe someon with much more experience in this car could see more difference... I noticed those within first few laps, but after that I was all over absorbing the track and seting up the car (and myself :-P) and all diferences that were made were just natural to me.

Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2016 - 22:38

Go back to the old one and you will notice the difference Raul.

I did that thinking there wasn't much difference, and I spun on the first corner at Zolder when back on the old physics. This was in the 956.

Regarding lap time speed, I was slower with the new physics yes, but the new physics aren't designed to make the cars quicker, but more stable to drive, which is what they were in real life. These cars were designed to be driven easily for several hours in one stint. With the old physics, you were never truly comfortable in some cars in my opinion.

Also some cars were driven by "Gentleman drivers" who had an expensive hobby and were not paid professionals and even those drivers could drive these cars comfortably, because that is how they were designed to be. That is what we have set out to achieve with these new physics.
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2016 - 14:37

Richard Coxon wrote:
Go back to the old one and you will notice the difference Raul.

I did that thinking there wasn't much difference, and I spun on the first corner at Zolder when back on the old physics. This was in the 956.

Regarding lap time speed, I was slower with the new physics yes, but the new physics aren't designed to make the cars quicker, but more stable to drive, which is what they were in real life. These cars were designed to be driven easily for several hours in one stint. With the old physics, you were never truly comfortable in some cars in my opinion.

Oh, no, I dont think being slower with new update is that something is wrong with it..

You see, Im having pretty heavy time driving all of these cars with you, and trying to be competitive, so, 99% of my concentration goes to "stay on track", "dont crash", "learn the track", "setup the car" stuff...

Driving a 956 is a big step forward to last years C junior cars, and I feel much better, and as I said, I feel far more comfortable with this new physics, but my problems would remain, even if we were racing with trains on railroads Smile I just need more experience to feel those small fineses...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**   **1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS** Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

**1983 DRM - UPDATED PHYSICS**
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next