Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Mods accuracy, physics wise.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

The Mods accuracy, physics wise. Empty
PostSubject: The Mods accuracy, physics wise.   The Mods accuracy, physics wise. Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2016 - 4:43

I was curious. Now, the Great GPC79 Mod for rF has actual ground effects, the car has to be within a certain Ride Height front and rear for them to be effective. I had thought that perhaps this mod had borrowed from some of that, until I read the 79 mods setup advice section and then looked at this mod and realized that the Ride Height stops at 5cm for the cars in this mod. Whereas the 79 mod needs a Ride Height between 2cm and 4.5cm for proper GE.

So the most blunt question is, do we really have Ground Effect with these cars, or is the extra grip being generated through some other means? As an example, someone once released an 81 mod, that to reproduce the Ground Effects, the tires had been given an insane amount of extra grip.

Anyways, this is something I've always been curious about and just never asked. Especially since basically ALL of my setup work with my lotus has been about getting it as low as I could and trying to keep it there.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: The Mods accuracy, physics wise.   The Mods accuracy, physics wise. Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2016 - 4:48

David Sabre and Richard Coxon would be the ones to ask.
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: The Mods accuracy, physics wise.   The Mods accuracy, physics wise. Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2016 - 5:06

They do have functional ground effects yes, i can garantee that.
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: The Mods accuracy, physics wise.   The Mods accuracy, physics wise. Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2016 - 10:34

Both GP79 and F1-78 use the diffuser part of the hdv file to simulate under-body venturi effects. The diffuser part of the hdv file is the same in both mods although with the higher minimum ride height in the 1978 mod the effects of the diffuser will be less. The rake of the car will also have an effect on the level of downforce. A ride of 2cm (20mm) is very low and there would be more body movement from the tyres (especially the rears) causing the car to bottom out and even at high speed the tyres would be pressed down again causing the car to bottom out. I think that using these settings makes the car slower than in 1979 allowing an improvement in performance for the 1979 mod.
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: The Mods accuracy, physics wise.   The Mods accuracy, physics wise. Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2016 - 23:12

K, is there a specific Rake angle that's more effective or is that something that's track dependant. Also, is the rake actual ride height rake or can you control it, albeit in a smaller sense with the spring settings?
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: The Mods accuracy, physics wise.   The Mods accuracy, physics wise. Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2016 - 10:31

There are optimum rake setting defined which will be effected by how the car behaves on the track. eg If the back of the car goes down the rake angle will change. Stiff suspension and the use of packers can help to maintain your rake angle but stiff suspension settings may reduce the mechanical (normal) grip. Try to avoid the car bottoming out especially in corners. Velocity will effect the level of downforce generated so in low speed corners the car will not generate much downforce and if you are running the car stiff you will have low mechanical grip. Everything in car setup is a compromise, find what works best for you at each track.
This will apply to all ground effect cars not only the Lotus.
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The Mods accuracy, physics wise.   The Mods accuracy, physics wise. Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jun 2016 - 12:09

hearing the comment of the brands hatch race from jason and alberto about reving
now this is a item that should be implemented next year if doing another 70s mod or any new one from the 60s 80s era
the comparison between drivers like greg and gerard is the perfect example
with the torture greg is driving his engine he would have last only 10% of the race if this properly build in

perfect simulation is the chiefwiggum version 1.1 of the 1971 le mod (the shifting is HE mod itself LE)
if you drive like this you be done within 15 laps and hso stand for realism
these 78 cars are acting more more like a LE version
also you cant blow the engine like many other mods instantly like our usacs
those cosworths were for sure not made from concrete lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mods accuracy, physics wise.   The Mods accuracy, physics wise. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Mods accuracy, physics wise.
Page 1 of 1