Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)

Go down 
+34
Jonatan Acerclinth
François Remmen
Pascal Le pihive
Bruno Miranda
David Sabre
Gérard Ryon
Arturo Pereira
Petr Hlavac
Simon Wattman
Steve Parker
Thomas Kok
Pascal Mikula
Tyler Greene
Trevor Greene
Ben Paulet
Claudio Navonne
Guillaume Siebert
Eric Plana
Raul Jereb
Martin Lacina
Lee Simpson
Glenn Corliss
Raymond Riddall
Jacob Fredriksson
Jason Fitch
Jan Kowalski
Ludovic Tiengou
Michael Drechsler
Mike Becnel
Jukka Närhi
Richard Coxon
Dana Schurer
Alberto Ibañez
Jason White
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ludovic Tiengou
Racing Legend
Ludovic Tiengou

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 20:41

Jason White wrote:
Ludovic Tiengou wrote:
My best time is 37.2 It's 3 seconds slower than the faster and 2s from the slower Shocked Shocked Shocked  what the hell?pale pale . On a normal road track I'll understand but there? :bangry:  And don't see how I could win but a second a lap.
It'll be a very very looooooooooooong race just looking my mirrors to let everyone overtake me.  

You are testing without the benefit of slipstream.

Sure but in qualifications there's none if I'm right? I was aware the Chevy wasn't a match on such track. But as slow? pale I've surely done something wrong but I can't understand what scratch.
Back to top Go down
Martin Lacina
Experienced Driver
Martin Lacina

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2016-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 20:42

I will be there. :conduit:
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

Number of posts : 14725
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 20:51

Ludovic, did you try adjusting gear ratios?
What about qualifying boost?
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 20:58

Ok, this is really new to me, I tryed last years Indy500 and left with a lot of questions.

I doubed a lot whether to join or no, so I expect to be there more like a tourist Smile

I would appretiate a lot any kind of advice, regarding tyres (stagg something???), maybe even a whole setup, I would hate myself to ruin somebodys race just becose I dont understand the basics of the car preparation. I think that there are not much similarities with '98 CART we drove, or maybe there is?

so, sign me in and start to prey :cowboy2:
Back to top Go down
Martin Lacina
Experienced Driver
Martin Lacina

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2016-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 21:09

How will it works during the qualy and race. The qualy boost i need to choose in basic menu not in garage. When we will choose the race setup and everything will be prepared for race we will need to leave the session, change the boost and join into the race again?
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 21:11

Martin Lacina wrote:
How will it works during the qualy and race. The qualy boost i need to choose in basic menu not in garage. When we will choose the race setup and everything will be prepared for race we will need to leave the session, change the boost and join into the race again?

Yes, everyone leaves to get race boost during the warmup. Then the admin inputs the grid manually once everyone is back in.
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 22:07

Raul Jereb wrote:
Ok, this is really new to me, I tryed last years Indy500 and left with a lot of questions.

I doubed a lot whether to join or no, so I expect to be there more like a tourist Smile

I would appretiate a lot any kind of advice, regarding tyres (stagg something???), maybe even a whole setup, I would hate myself to ruin somebodys race just becose I dont understand the basics of the car preparation. I think that there are not much similarities with '98 CART we drove, or maybe there is?

so, sign me in and start to prey :cowboy2:

PM me with your questions. We can meet online too if you like.
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 22:24

Ludovic,

You may qualify towards the back, but on these big tracks, the Draft is BIG, especially for the slower cars. You might be in the rear at the start, but you can run in the mid-pack if not higher during the race. Also remember this series is about consistency. Bobby Unser, probably had the est overall car with his Eagle 73 and Offy engine, the VPJ2's were the fastest and the McLaren M16C's were right up there as well. But when it all matter most in the end the Championship went to Roger McCluskey driving a 3 year old McLaren M16A with a mid-range Offy. All because of consistency.

Jason,

Were you going to be uploading setups for every race?
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 22:28

Michael Drechsler wrote:
Jason White wrote:

Yep. One of only two appearances for the Kenyon-Coyote this year!

The car won't tear up the competition, but its alright. But check that guy in the orange rompers: That flashy hat. His sideburns all the way down! I think, I just fell in love!

(With his style, not what are thinking again! D'oh!) Suspect

That's Mel Kenyon.  :jp:
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 22:42

Jason Fitch wrote:
Jason,
Were you going to be uploading setups for every race?

I may try to develop some setups offline for different cars if I have time. 
My advice is for the Eagle runners to share and collaborate; see what works and what doesn't
Back to top Go down
Mike Becnel
Racing Legend
Mike Becnel

Number of posts : 4741
Registration date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2016 - 23:15

Step 1: drop all wings to minimum.
Step 2: raise or lower front springs until you can make a lap flat out

Pre work: select qual boost and likely biggest front wing flap but maybe not for McLarens.

You will now have 90% of your qual setup at Texas.
Back to top Go down
Eric Plana
Experienced Driver
Eric Plana

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 0:14

I will be in Texas bounce
Back to top Go down
http://wwww.XtremeRacers.info
Mike Becnel
Racing Legend
Mike Becnel

Number of posts : 4741
Registration date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 5:14

Dana Schurer wrote:
:conduit:

Love the avatar :top: lol!
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 5:16

Ludovic Tiengou wrote:
My best time is 37.2 It's 3 seconds slower than the faster and 2s from the slower Shocked Shocked Shocked  

Ludovic, I uploaded a setup for you.  It's intended for the race with full fuel.  Before you log on select the full race boost setting and maximum flap stagger.  After a few laps to get the tires warmed up, it will do a 35.8 second lap with no slipstream.  You can use 3rd gear when running alone, but use 4th when following someone so the engine doesn't overrev.  4th can also be used as a fuel saving measure in the race.

The key will be staying in the draft during the race. If you end up on your own, you will need a yellow to get back in touch with the pack.
Back to top Go down
Ludovic Tiengou
Racing Legend
Ludovic Tiengou

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 8:26

Jason White wrote:
Ludovic, did you try adjusting gear ratios?
What about qualifying boost?

Was in second race boost in fact in full tank :doh: . With the qualy boost and nearly empty tank it's much better lol! . I still lack a full second to be competitive (35.250 as PB....still slower than Mangoose though).

I'll get a try to your set today. Thanks for it :top: :chinois: Can't be as slow as my nearly default set up (just change front wing, right camber, tyres (1.25) and right tyres pressure) . But I'm not sure the set will change anything. You're doing laptime in race conditions nearly as fast as mine in qualy conditions. As I've suspected, my driving style isn't the way of the oval. I'm surely using too much the steering wheel and not enough the throttle. Old habits die hard. I'm more a Mini Cooper S 1310 on twisty road tracks driver than a beasty nearly 1000 bhp open wheeler on oval one :hihi: . It's promising to be loooong process to be put out of draft after 10 laps :aie:
Back to top Go down
Raul Jereb
Racing Legend
Raul Jereb

Number of posts : 1490
Registration date : 2013-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 8:30

Well, Ludovic, what I learned in '98 Cart, ovals take as much as practice as any other track. It looks easyer, but it is just incredible where you are able to find more than a second of a time. After all, it comes to practice...
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 8:53

TWS is about the worst track for the chevy Eagle, but it will only get better from now Smile 

Also, when you come back here late in the season with the new rules, you will have a power that is much closer to the rest study
Back to top Go down
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
Guillaume Siebert

Number of posts : 13827
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 9:48

I think what's the most difficult to understand in oval racing when you are used to road courses, is that your position really doesn't matter during the first 3/4 of the race, you just need to stay in the lead lap and pit during all cautions (unless there are cautions every 5 laps...). So there is really absolutely no need for risky overtaking moves during 3/4 of the race.

But what is also fantastic about oval racing is that 75% of the drivers don't know that or (worse) don't understand that after several races. Meaning they will race like maniacs from the start to the finish, eventually taking others and/or themselves out of the race. And all you need is to stay calm, stay out of troubles for most of the race and collect a good result in the end. The first thing oval racing teaches you is patience.

The second most important thing to learn is how to go fast without stressing the tires. When I first started oval racing, I was quick over one lap but that really doesn't matter over a race distance. After 10 laps my tires were cooked and I was dropping like a stone in the order.
Back to top Go down
Claudio Navonne
Club Driver
Claudio Navonne

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2015-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 10:10

Count me, please :conduit:
Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 <a href=Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 1974_CAR_27 hosting imagenes" />
Back to top Go down
Jacob Fredriksson
Racing Legend
Jacob Fredriksson

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 12:59

Guillaume Siebert wrote:
I think what's the most difficult to understand in oval racing when you are used to road courses, is that your position really doesn't matter during the first 3/4 of the race, you just need to stay in the lead lap and pit during all cautions (unless there are cautions every 5 laps...). So there is really absolutely no need for risky overtaking moves during 3/4 of the race.

But what is also fantastic about oval racing is that 75% of the drivers don't know that or (worse) don't understand that after several races. Meaning they will race like maniacs from the start to the finish, eventually taking others and/or themselves out of the race. And all you need is to stay calm, stay out of troubles for most of the race and collect a good result in the end. The first thing oval racing teaches you is patience.

The second most important thing to learn is how to go fast without stressing the tires. When I first started oval racing, I was quick over one lap but that really doesn't matter over a race distance. After 10 laps my tires were cooked and I was dropping like a stone in the order.

EVERYONE needs to read this, and think hard about it! Very important sentiments, thanks Guillaume.  :top:
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 13:09

Quote :
EVERYONE needs to read this, and think hard about it! Very important sentiments, thanks Guillaume.

+1

Best example of that style of driving was Al Unser Sr., the guy that always popped up at the last quarter of the races coming out of nowhere to take victory Smile 

And the opposite of his brother Bobby, who stormed in the lead and broke down early :hihi:
Back to top Go down
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
Guillaume Siebert

Number of posts : 13827
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 13:20

Jacob Fredriksson wrote:

EVERYONE needs to read this, and think hard about it! Very important sentiments, thanks Guillaume.  :top:
Thanks Jacob Wink
The funny thing is, lots of people will read this, but I'm sure a good part of them will think "lol he sounds like a granny, I want to race and I want to overtake people". And these drivers will be out of the race by mid distance. Just look at the results of the 1998 CART season last year.

Stay out of the close battles during 3/4 of the race and you have a top 8 finish garanteed. Oval racing is really that easy when racing with people not used to ovals. It really is another thing when racing with experimented people, even the slightly slower guy can become a serious threat.

Yes overtaking and battling with people is fun, and it's easier on ovals. But it is also risky. Even more risky at 200mph, and even more risky with people not used to this. So unless you feel a lot faster than the guy in front of you and feel the leaders are too far away and you could catch them, you don't need to risk everything to gain one position. Stay behind the guy, save some fuel, save your tires, save your car. And give everything in the last quarter of the race.

Last edited by Guillaume Siebert on Tue 15 Mar 2016 - 14:59; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ben Paulet
Racing Legend
Ben Paulet

Number of posts : 8291
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 13:39

Just read your stats is enough to understand that your advices are helpful. :frank:
Back to top Go down
Ludovic Tiengou
Racing Legend
Ludovic Tiengou

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 13:42

Raul Jereb wrote:
Well, Ludovic, what I learned in '98 Cart, ovals take as much as practice as any other track. It looks easyer, but it is just incredible where you are able to find more than a second of a time. After all, it comes to practice...

I already know. Texas will not be my first oval race ever Wink I've already done one during the first HSO 500 Indy with the gazoline mod. I finished it if I'm correct but was out paced even by the very same racer I compete in road race (the Barby boy and Jieffe Meuh for example...but I'm speaking of a time the less than 20 can't know :D )

In fact the real problem in this serie will be the interface wheel-PC. I'm not sure my driving style will be efficient on ovals.  
As I've read in this thread you need:

1. to be smooth. I'm very aggressive on the wheel. I try to correct it but's it rather difficult.
2. patient. I've never be patient. As Guillaume said it seems quite strange not to try overtake the man in front of me...well with luck I won't have any as I'll be left behind and alone very quicky:geek: .
3. focus. I've been diagnosed as Asperger autist three years ago. So much for focus as I can be distracted by every and any sound or chat ingame but also offgame
4. tyre management.  I'm rather hard on them. I wear them very quickly and I've never find a way to correct this.
5. know how to set as precisely a car as it can be. Alas the more complicated a car is the less I'm capable of finding a technical solutions to it. I'm really not a race engineer pale . And assymetrical sets are one of the most difficult thing to understand.
5. Being capable of racing at 100% minima. I'm not a confident driver. I'll always drive at 75-80% of my capacity. On the upside I'll rarely blow out my engine. On the downside I'm not capable to keep pace.

Do I have some strongpoints for the serie? perhaps my love for odd strategy. It's sometime work quite well during some race in HSO with the CART open event.

But well I've race full season in open wheel, touring car and Endurance. An oval serie is missing at my credit. So I'll have to try the shot even if I'm not competitive at all.

Quote :
Just read your stats is enough to understand that your advices are helpful.

Just having race with him does it Wink
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
Jason White

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2016 - 15:57

If anyone requires setup help, send me a PM and I'll see if I can come up with a good base set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)   Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round 1 - College Station (Mar 20th)
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next