Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Introductions

Go down 
+7
Jim Carvalho
Vladislav Zenkov
Marko Igić
Frank Verplanken
Ben Paulet
Waldo Swiegers
Paul Velasco
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Paul Velasco
Experienced Driver
Paul Velasco

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2020-01-01

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 3 Feb 2020 - 13:08

Introductions Paul_a11

The best way to introduce myself (and this Kyalami project) is simply to say I am a sports/news photographer for over 15 years, photo editor for another 10 and since 2009 owner/editor of GrandPrix247.com as well as since 2016 a marketing & media consultant these days. https://www.grandprix247.com/about-gp247/

I started simming with my first Scalextric, then my good mate Joao Silva introduced me to Geoff Crammond's GP2, ICR2, NR2003 etc. I simmed seriously in the GPL-VROC era and did many leagues etc in those early days when simming was for weirdos - nowadays simming is cool! My GPLRank was/is -22.788.

Since then have had all the sims and spent a spell on iRacing...

To cut a long story short I love simming, and I always go back to rF2 for the immersion and physics realism. And of course the cars I want to drive. The interface and all that sucks but it is what it is.

These days I am tired of racing AI and hotlapping alone, so after some discussions with HSO we have decided to run a HSO-GP247 server featuring Kyalami on 247 basis, offline only when HSO has events or races etc.

Why Kyalami?

I grew up at Kyalami, watched my first Grand Prix there in 1971 there and missed very few until the track of the time was changed to another layout. I have also photographed at the new track

But the old track is where my soul remains, was there with my mates on scaffolding just in front of where Tom Pryce's Shadow ended up after he struck the marshal.

I was the only photographer on the spot when Keith Petersen was killed. My photos made front-page news. I am not proud of that but that's the way of being a press photographer and also to highlight the deep-rooted ties I have emotionally and professionally to the place.

What I am very proud of is the glorious racing, great drivers -legends - and fantastic cars I witnessed and photographed at my great circuit - thousands of photos I took at the venue from Gilles in his final year, Ayrton in the Toleman, Patrese and the near win etc etc.

From there I moved on to do motorsport photography in Europe where I did stints with Reuters, the AP and Marlboro and covered F1, Sportscar and MotoGP from late eighties to early nineties.

Along the way, I was involved with Superbike teams, I also organised Superbike races in the mid-eighties

More recently, until 2016 for eight years I was Communications Manager at Dubai Autodrome. I know how real life circuits are run, and I want to bring real-life track management knowledge to the virtual world.

Hence the HSO-Kyalami rF2 project.

Step one is getting the track up and running for testing 247. Each week we will add a different historical mod and every now and then a Back to the Future mod where we can try out some modern cars.

Typically we will only use Steam-based mods and freeware. There we will be hotlap page for the project.

This forum will provide details of the testing schedule. We will also be looking to hosting occasional Race Days or Race Weekends.

Of course, there will be many real tales to be told before we go virtual, backed by photos of course!!!

For now, we will simply be putting the word out there that historical Kyalami server is open for Testing for HSO members and those wanting to join. Going to entice some of the big names

Always happy to hear ideas and feedback to evolve the HSO-Kyalami project, although initially, we have a well thought out plan and timeline to kickstart this journey, and hope many of you will be inspired to join the journey.

For the record Kaylami was a test venue throughout the seventies and eighties which gave me great access to the place throughout my early career, and you could not keep me away.

Thus I suggest use it as a virtual test venue to get up to speed with your virtual cars and setups etc, they used to say: "a car that goes well at Kyalami goes well everywhere" a bit like Barcelona is today in real-life F1.

The server and schedule of Mods being run will be released in due course. Watch this space!

A final word for the Admins led by Frank who liked my idea. The support has been great and the enthusiasm inspiring and look forward to 'working' with the HSO team on this journey. Good people.

Thank You

Paul Velasco
study

PS: Please introduce yourselves and hope to get feedback on this initiative and we're open to ideas and suggestions to take this project forward.
Back to top Go down
https://www.grandprix247.com/
Waldo Swiegers
Rookie
Waldo Swiegers

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-03-20

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeFri 20 Mar 2020 - 22:20

Hey guys!

I'm a South African news/magazine photographer that has a serious case of petrolheadedness.

I've been working as a photographer for 16 years, even though I grew up with it as my dad was a photographer. I have worked for many of SA's biggest papers including Beeld, Rapport and The Sunday Times. I've done work for the AP, Reuters and AFP through the years.

I have covered most of the Southern African stories for Bloomberg News since 2015. I travel a fair amount through Africa as well for Bloomberg News and NGOs. I also shoot a little bit of magazine work here and there still and the odd advertising/corporate gig.

I have loved cars since I could breathe. My favourite cars are still saloon cars from the 60s - silly things like Minis, R8 Gordinis and Alfa Romeo Giulias! I own an Austin Mini 1000 Mk1 still. I also have a Porsche 718 RSK Replica built by some Formula Vee guys - spaceframe chassis with a Beetle 1600 TP motor mid-mounted and gearbox at the back. Coilover suspension in the rear with trailing arms, and 1967 Beetle front suspension with Bilsteins and disc brakes.

I am an avid club racer down here in South Africa and currently race a 300kw 1998 Honda Ballade Vtec Turbo in the local 111 Sports and Saloons in Class A. Myself and a few friends all have cars and we help each other out to keep them running. For someone who isn't a mechanic, I know my way around a race car's workings out of necessity and from breaking things at the track. You learn quickly when you want to get out on track and there is an issue to fix.

I raced a Volkswagen Golf Mk1 2.0 8V for a few years, and had a Toyota Conquest with a 4A-GE 20v motor before that. I started my track exploits with a knackered old 1984 Alfa Romeo Alfetta 159i and had a good amount of fun with that until the head gasket eventually blew and we couldn't get the head off the block!

I never got to race the original Kyalami, but raced the last race at the post 2000 layout (sans chicane) before the current layout. I've driven the current layout on numerous occasions and Kyalami has always been my favourite track in SA.

I've raced at almost all the local tracks that still operate - Zwartkops, Midvaal (both directions), Phakisa (amazing track as well), Aldo Scribante, Dezzi Raceway and Red Star Raceway (both directions). I am itching to drive East London as the last time we were scheduled to race there in 2018 I was at the Le Mans 24H on assignment.

We are scheduled to race Killarney this year, which I hope to do despite the cost of slugging everything down there from Johannesburg!

I don't get much time to play games, but I enjoy doing some laps on Assetto Corsa/Assetto Corsa Competizione/rFactor 2 when I get a chance. It definitely translates to the real world. The biggest problem us club racers face is lack of seat time. Sims give us some practice that goes a long way when you put your bum in the seat at the track!

Hopefully I can join in on some HSO hotlaps every now and then!

See everyone on track!

Back to top Go down
Paul Velasco
Experienced Driver
Paul Velasco

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeFri 20 Mar 2020 - 22:47

Welcome Boet!
Back to top Go down
Ben Paulet
Racing Legend
Ben Paulet

Number of posts : 8291
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeSat 21 Mar 2020 - 9:27

It seems like a meeting of the SAPA. :D
Hi Waldo and welcome among us. :frank:
Back to top Go down
Paul Velasco
Experienced Driver
Paul Velasco

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2020 - 9:32

Ben Paulet wrote:
It seems like a meeting of the SAPA. :D
Hi Waldo and welcome among us. :frank:
lol! lol!
Its the South African arrival, to play with our French and international friends
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Number of posts : 13574
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeSun 22 Mar 2020 - 10:00

Welcome Waldo :hello: ! Nice introduction, thanks for taking the time :top:

So cool to have more South Africans registering, we've never had many around for some reason although our servers are in the same time zone.

Looking forward to seeing you on track at Kyalami and hopefully in the odd HSO race every now and then Wink.
Back to top Go down
http://historicsimracing.org/en/index
Marko Igić
Rookie
Marko Igić

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-03-19

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2020 - 0:23

Hi guys,

I am Marko, from Belgrade, Serbia. Always been a big fan of racing, F1 in particular, which is also what brought me here (reading Pauls articles on gp247). Wanted to get into sim racing a long time ago, tho I mostly just drove on my own, so this will be the first time I'm playing any of the "serious" sims online. I guess what kept me away was work and fear of doing something stupid, so now I thought "Hotlaps! Can't do much stupid there, eh?" Though I am looking forward to some racing as well. Anyways, thanks for the Kyalami project, Paul ^^
Back to top Go down
Vladislav Zenkov
Club Driver
Vladislav Zenkov

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2020-01-13

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2020 - 0:43

Marko Igić wrote:
Hi guys,

I am Marko, from Belgrade, Serbia. Always been a big fan of racing, F1 in particular, which is also what brought me here (reading Pauls articles on gp247). Wanted to get into sim racing a long time ago, tho I mostly just drove on my own, so this will be the first time I'm playing any of the "serious" sims online. I guess what kept me away was work and fear of doing something stupid, so now I thought "Hotlaps! Can't do much stupid there, eh?" Though I am looking forward to some racing as well. Anyways, thanks for the Kyalami project, Paul ^^

Welcome! :conduit:
Back to top Go down
https://vk.com/zenkovladf1
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2020 - 6:14

Hi Marko and welcome :hello: ! Having a fear of online racing is often the sign of someone with a good sportsmanship spirit and an attention to others - two of the main characteristics we are looking for in our members :top: . I'm sure that after a few hotlapping sessions with us at Kyalami you will soon want to join us for races as well Wink.
Back to top Go down
Paul Velasco
Experienced Driver
Paul Velasco

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2020 - 7:56

Welcome Marko!
Back to top Go down
Jim Carvalho
Club Driver
Jim Carvalho

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-08-11

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2020 - 5:23

Frank Verplanken wrote:
Hi Marko and welcome :hello: ! Having a fear of online racing is often the sign of someone with a good sportsmanship spirit and an attention to others - two of the main characteristics we are looking for in our members  :top: . I'm sure that after a few hotlapping sessions with us at Kyalami you will soon want to join us for races as well Wink.

Well said, Frank. :top:
You'll learn more from online racing than from driving alone. It's also a lot more fun. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Marko Igić
Rookie
Marko Igić

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2020 - 16:40

Thanks guys Very Happy

I think I already learned some stuff, Jim!
1) Contrary to popular belief, there are friendly people online.
2) I know I know nothing about car setups. :D
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2020 - 18:58

How very true, Jim :top:

Indeed Marko, people usually don't stay at HSO just for the races, but also for the friendly atmosphere on and off track Smile. To be honest some of us are morons - but at least we're friendly morons :D !

Don't worry about setups, you will always find someone to help you with that, either by giving you tips or by sharing setups. As we have switched to rF2 this year only we don't have much in the way of setups yet, but as we used to do on rF1 we'll do our best to build up some sort of database of setups for the historic mods we use.

Gotta ask about your avatar, I can't figure what it is. Makes me think of VCR buttons or tactical military formations, but it must be something else entirely, right ?
Back to top Go down
Marko Igić
Rookie
Marko Igić

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeWed 25 Mar 2020 - 9:27

Some time ago I wanted to make videos for youtube and the channels name was "cheap intentions" (was supposed to be short animations and games). So it's sort of stylized initials "CI" looking like a VCR button kind of stuck with me. Who knows, maybe one day I get back to it :hum: tho I have a ton of project ideas and most of them I start and never pick up again.
Back to top Go down
François Violet
Experienced Driver
François Violet

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2020-01-23

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeWed 25 Mar 2020 - 11:24

:hello: pouvez-vous m'expliquer la différence entre nos résultats et les résultats IRL ? merci.

http://164.132.233.235:64450/tracks?category=Brabham%20BT44B&id=13&sort_by=&fbclid=IwAR3Y4LrGk64Rzm30iqJBk4E1p5jt5ULkMa8zQMrew0Nl0pbOyN7XNPxQ10k

Introductions Statf110

Introductions Kyalam10

https://www.statsf1.com/fr/1974/afrique-du-sud/qualification.aspx
Back to top Go down
http://vfr.clicforum.fr/index.php
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeWed 25 Mar 2020 - 13:27

Marko Igić wrote:
Some time ago I wanted to make videos for youtube and the channels name was "cheap intentions" (was supposed to be short animations and games). So it's sort of stylized initials "CI" looking like a VCR button kind of stuck with me. Who knows, maybe one day I get back to it :hum: tho I have a ton of project ideas and most of them I start and never pick up again.

Nice name, cool logo :top: Can't blame you on born-dead projects :hihi:, just something geniuses tend to do I guess :D.
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
Frank Verplanken

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeWed 25 Mar 2020 - 13:33

François Violet wrote:
:hello: pouvez-vous m'expliquer la différence entre nos résultats et les résultats IRL ? merci.

On peut pas vraiment comparer, y'a trop de paramètres qui entrent en jeu. Rien que les réglages de grip du circuit virtuel peuvent altérer les temps de plusieurs secondes à la minute. Ajouté à ça les physics, les pneus ou le tracé lui-même qui sont plus ou moins réalistes, et toute comparaison est vaine. Sans compter que tu compares nos temps à ceux des meilleurs pilotes de l'époque alors que la plupart d'entre nous est à peine le meilleur simracer de son salon :D.
Back to top Go down
Mark Lynn
Rookie
Mark Lynn

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-03-24

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeSun 29 Mar 2020 - 20:52

Hi everyone. I'll try to keep it short. I've been an F1 fan since the early 80's (some of my early memories are from the Mansell/Piquet era) and dabbled with racing games on and off for a long time, going back to the Spectrum and Amiga days, F1GP on the Amiga was a big favourite, then F1 Challenge on the PC. Most of my PC gaming since 2001 was then spent on shooters like Half Life, Quake, UT, CoD etc. I got a bit bored with those and in 2017 I decided to get back into F1 and bought rFactor 2, then I bought my first racing wheel later the same year.

So since then, I've spent a lot of time practising with various cars/tracks, did a little bit of (average) online racing in 2018. I always try to keep it clean and hate it when a contact is my fault. I took some time off in 2019 (GTA5 became a distraction Laughing ) and then went back to the drawing board with rF2, mainly with car setup.

So I've mainly been practising again offline since then, trying to improve, until I noticed this group in a Facebook post and thought it looked like my sort of thing. So hope to see some of you on the track at some point.
Back to top Go down
Paul Velasco
Experienced Driver
Paul Velasco

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2020 - 9:09

Welcome Mark!
:first:
Back to top Go down
Michal Janak
Racing Legend
Michal Janak

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2020 - 10:05

Wellcome Mark

I too started my racing on Amiga ( F1GP )
Back to top Go down
Paul Velasco
Experienced Driver
Paul Velasco

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2020 - 11:18

Times after the first week to date:
Not sure whyc the car names are showing as years...
Any chance that can be fixed? Or is it my side?
Introductions 20200330-speedweek
Back to top Go down
Michal Janak
Racing Legend
Michal Janak

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2020 - 11:28

on my PC it showing differently

Introductions Kyalam10
Back to top Go down
Paul Velasco
Experienced Driver
Paul Velasco

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2020 - 13:44

Okay Cool
Problem my end
Can you do me screengrab of the top 20 and put it on here
Please & Thanks
PV
:spy:
Back to top Go down
Michal Janak
Racing Legend
Michal Janak

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2020 - 15:48

Introductions Standi10
Back to top Go down
Paul Velasco
Experienced Driver
Paul Velasco

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitimeMon 30 Mar 2020 - 18:44

Looking Great.
Thanks for the interest and support!
Now, where's Vlad?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Introductions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Introductions   Introductions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introductions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Historic Simracing Organisation :: Archives :: Archives :: 2020 :: HSO Kyalami GP247 Hotlap Trophy-
Jump to: