Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor

Go down 
+22
Gabriele Maruca
Jason White
Marco Lenarduzzi
Ashar Firdaus
Gilles Taux
Juha Bos
John Fuqua
David Jundt
Jason Fitch
Jacob Fredriksson
Timo Vermeersch
Filippo Marazzi
Brian Janik
Marie de Lacrowe
Lennart Groessl
François Remmen
Alberto Ibañez
David Sabre
Lukáš Vydra
Richard Coxon
Richard Wilks
Pascal Mikula
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr 2019 - 18:44

track liveries are in the gmt of the car which you can open with 3dsimed but if you open it with notepad you see all the info or how you want

track scn must correspond wih the trackconfigbase in the car folders
aswell in the gdb ; Trackname and Event name

a track gdb file MUST always named the same as at the inside on top above
Filter properties = F1 1982

then the upgrade files of each car have there models gmt that you can activate in what round and what models to load

Back to top Go down
David Jundt
Racing Legend
David Jundt

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr 2019 - 18:57

On the topic of "March at Brazil":

F1 TV has two "review" videos of two 1982 races available in the archive: South Africa and Brazil.

I've just started looking at the footage of the second race and in one shot of the starting grid, I think I can see the camera slightly showing one March in the back of it, and it seems to only sport the Rothmans logo on the sides.

I am not sure if I can post a screenshot, dunno if I'd get burned by FOM for it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/David-Jundt-450976341729894/
Marie de Lacrowe
Club Driver
Marie de Lacrowe

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Apr 2019 - 19:21

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Mc110
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Mc210

Every time I look at cars of this type I always ask myself a question ... was there really the need to use so many polygons to do such a thing ?
it is clear that the SABRE style is lacking in this car !
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

Number of posts : 1189
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 0:34

Marie de Lacrowe wrote:
Every time I look at cars of this type I always ask myself a question ... was there really the need to use so many polygons to do such a thing ?
it is clear that the SABRE style is lacking in this car !
Well, if you have any idea on how to reduce the amount of polygons on the cars while keeping their shape and form and thus without ruining fine details like on the side pods or the engine cover, you're more than welcome to try and edit them and contribute to this work! 
I have no real talent as of now as to how this whole 3d editing goes, all I'm really doing is fixing textures and text files.
But for now, those cars are all I have and I have no plan on trying to edit anything 3d-related since I don't want to mess those things up.
But as I said, I know they're CPU-heavy since they have so many polygons, but I can't do anything about it.

David Jundt wrote:
On the topic of "March at Brazil":

F1 TV has two "review" videos of two 1982 races available in the archive: South Africa and Brazil.

I've just started looking at the footage of the second race and in one shot of the starting grid, I think I can see the camera slightly showing one March in the back of it, and it seems to only sport the Rothmans logo on the sides.

I am not sure if I can post a screenshot, dunno if I'd get burned by FOM for it.

Not sure how they'd find out so fast anyway, but PM's are your friend  :hello:
Then again, I don't /really/ need any help about the liveries anyway, unless it turns out there's more teams that ran a million different paint jobs per weekend. I'm all for authentic representation, but I'd also like to keep it playable.
Back to top Go down
http://classicmotorsporthub.boards.net
John Fuqua
Club Driver

Registration date : 2014-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 1:19

Just curious, why not consider rFactor 2 ?, seems to be a sim that's getting better and better each update and F1 75' & 79' work with it well.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 2:51

John Fuqua wrote:
Just curious, why not consider rFactor 2 ?, seems to be a sim that's getting better and better each update and F1 75' & 79' work with it well.

Oh there's a few reasons for that.

1. I'd rather start out with rFactor since I'm already slightly (very slightly) familiar with it
  2. I don't have rFactor 2 (at least installed, plus i'm sure it'd be more complicated to work with since there are more features. Also, because of internet issues, downloading and installing the game would take about two weeks for me, and I'm not gonna wait for that. I'd rather work with what I have.)
  3. My laptop can't run rFactor 2 at any detail rate that would make it possible for me to judge properly whether a car is well-made or not (I haven't played rFactor 2 in about half a year now, and from what I remember, I can barely run it at minimum settings + setting the game up seems very complicated in my opinion)
  4. I'm pretty sure there aren't correct tracks available for rFactor 2 for the 1982 season and I'm not going to try and convert anything to any other sim unless I have everything ready and finished for the core rFactor
  5. I prefer rFactor and Automobilista over rFactor 2, purely for personal preference.
  6. I sort of have the goal, maybe in the far future when this project gets to a point where it's really well done, that we might consider running a race or two, or even at some point, a full 1982 season at HSO. Whether in rFactor or AMS, is another question. Since, with simracing moving away from rFactor, it'd most likely be in AMS, I'd rather not specify any real goal since this project is barely playable for rFactor at the moment since I'm working on everything (except some parts research, as you can see here on the thread) by myself.
Back to top Go down
John Fuqua
Club Driver

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 3:02

Understood, so it sounds as if AMS is easier to work with ?, I need to reinstall AMS, give it another look, didn't really impress me when I installed it last year.
Back to top Go down
Timo Vermeersch
Racing Legend
Timo Vermeersch

Number of posts : 1345
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 9:03

Hey Pascal,

don't worry about that ETS2-stuff. No problem at all. Seems the blog is past its prime anyway, so I'd rather get a good 82 mod in a couple of years... 1982 F1 together with a decent mid seventies 24H of Spa mod for me is kind of the holy grail in simracing...

That being said, I have this book on my shelf. It offers a pretty decent overview of the 1982 Formula 1-season, be it in French, and lots of pics. If that can be of interest to you, I can try to scan it part by part, and upload the scans here.

Timo
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 9:04

John Fuqua wrote:
Understood, so it sounds as if AMS is easier to work with ?, I need to reinstall AMS,  give it another look, didn't really impress me when I installed it last year.

I have no idea whether AMS is easier to work with than rF2 or not.
For that, you gotta ask the guys here that ported the CART88 or F171 mod to AMS, if they have any rF2 modding experience, then they could tell you.
But from what I understand, AMS is technically very similar to rFactor, with the majority of differences (turbocharging, tire dirt, flat spots) happening within text files.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 9:07

Timo Vermeersch wrote:
Hey Pascal,

don't worry about that ETS2-stuff. No problem at all. Seems the blog is past its prime anyway, so I'd rather get a good 82 mod in a couple of years... 1982 F1 together with a decent mid seventies 24H of Spa mod for me is kind of the holy grail in simracing...

That being said, I have this book on my shelf. It offers a pretty decent overview of the 1982 Formula 1-season, be it in French, and lots of pics. If that can be of interest to you, I can try to scan it part by part, and upload the scans here.

Timo

Oh good Lord, that'd actually be amazing help! You could upload them to imgur or something and post the link to the archive here, so you could also put captions on the photos from when and where they were taken (so that I don't have a dilemma like with Boesel's March again, where there are three different liveries shown from the same weekend  lol!)

I'd more than appreciate that.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 9:45

So, i'm currently working on the Renaults (since I'm going for the graphics before physics approach) and I've noticed a really...weird..rear wing setup on the RE30B.

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Unknown

It's simply called "RE30B Double Rear Wing" in the upgrades, the wing itself is called "RE30B_rear_wing_france" but I can't find any images showing this car with this rear wing setup or any documents mentioning the team ever having put this on any car! Given the name of the object, I'd have assumed it was run at some point at Paul Ricard, but i didn't find any images. The upgrade specifies as well that the car wouldn't have a front wing if this second rear wing was attached, so what's the matter with that? Just a useless waste of polygons or was this really used at some point?
(My suggestions would've been Monaco, or Paul Ricard, or Dijon even; at the very least maybe Caesars Palace but I literally can't find any images of this car running two rear wings.)
Back to top Go down
John Fuqua
Club Driver

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 11:59

Pascal Mikula wrote:
John Fuqua wrote:
Understood, so it sounds as if AMS is easier to work with ?, I need to reinstall AMS,  give it another look, didn't really impress me when I installed it last year.

For that, you gotta ask the guys here that ported the CART88 or F171 mod to AMS, if they have any rF2 modding experience, then they could tell you.
But from what I understand, AMS is technically very similar to rFactor, with the majority of differences (turbocharging, tire dirt, flat spots) happening within text files.
Ahh now I remember why I took AMS off my HD, it was the bad AA, any suggestions how to make it better ?
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 12:07

John Fuqua wrote:
Pascal Mikula wrote:
John Fuqua wrote:

Ahh now I remember why I took AMS off my HD, it was the bad AA, any suggestions how to make it better ?

I have no idea. I'd say increase AA but I can't tell.

Now for other news.

What the hell did the Varjanta team write into their damn engine files and hdv's???
All I'm saying is that I was doing some research on this weird Renault RE30B wing and somehow landed on a page showing me technical data from the Ferrari 126C2.
In the mod, the car weighs 670 kg, has 489 hp and revs up to 13000 rpm. (EDIT: Nvm that. The in-game rev limit goes up to 11500 only, but the power curve goes up to 13000)
The specs say the car weighs 595 kg, has 600 hp and only revved up to 11500 rpm.
Source
Also Source, but this one's a joke because it has articles for almost all cars, but most of them are just one photo
:grrr:

And I don't even want to look at other physics stuff like centre of gravity and shit like that..

Back to making some sort of schedule. I should really get all the cars ported over first ...
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 12:22

Physics, well that's a beast on its own. I still recommend you make yourself your life easier, start by porting models one by one, clean and neat, with common, placholder physics, and later you will take on that. One car per two days or so is a great mark for a beginner, and you can complete the field before the summer or even quicker as you gain experience. Do first the base cars of season start without upgrades, you'll add the more complicated stuff later.

Quote :
In the mod, the car weighs 670 kg, has 489 hp and revs up to 13000 rpm. (EDIT: Nvm that. The in-game rev limit goes up to 11500 only, but the power curve goes up to 13000)
The specs say the car weighs 595 kg, has 600 hp and only revved up to 11500 rpm.

The car weight in the HDV is including the driver. 75 kgs is usual for a fit driver + safety equipment, so 670 total is reasonable for a 595 dry weight of the car.

489 vs 600, depends on whether the physics author decided to go with power at the wheels or at the flywheel. There is a clutch friction parameter to reflect that, plus you also tweak aero etc to adjust it. You can do really either of those two things, but you have to adjust the rest of parameters accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 12:36

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Physics, well that's a beast on its own. I still recommend you make yourself your life easier, start by porting models one by one, clean and neat, with common, placholder physics, and later you will take on that. One car per two days or so is a great mark for a beginner, and you can complete the field before the summer or even quicker as you gain experience. Do first the base cars of season start without upgrades, you'll add the more complicated stuff later.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I mean, generally it's as easy as copy-pasting all team folders to the dev game folder, and then playing around with veh files, gen files, and maybe a MAS or two - but then there are these damn inconsistencies that I notice and then I'm trying to fix them without being in a position to do so yet  :doh:
I guess that's the drawback of doing the whole thing myself.
Oh, and I don't even wanna start talking about the tracks...

Quote :
The car weight in the HDV is including the driver. 75 kgs is usual for a fit driver + safety equipment, so 670 total is reasonable for a 595 dry weight of the car. 

489 vs 600, depends on whether the physics author decided to go with power at the wheels or at the flywheel. There is a clutch friction parameter to reflect that, plus you also tweak aero etc to adjust it. You can do really either of those two things, but you have to adjust the rest of parameters accordingly.

I'm looking at the stats using CarStats2 - I'm not sure if it's just a typing error in the program, but it gives the 670 kg as Dry Weight. But I think I'll let that slide for now, given your explanation.

About the power.. The engine has five boost programs, and I don't know how much power the engine has at which program. It could be that the real car had 600 hp with full 4.5bar of boost, but since turbos can't be replicated in rFactor, the boost programs will have to do. But I don't know at what program CarStats tells the power.. And there's no way to adjust the boost program in the CarStats either. Could be that it's showing 489 hp at Boost 1 (lowest boost), or Boost 4 (standard boost specified in hdv/engine ini).

Oh good lord and then the whole clutch stuff.. and aero, too. Since I'm not sure how well Ground Effect can be modelled in-game, I'll have to dig that up, too.

But I'll just adjust and fix the graphics for now... I mean, the fact that the cars have a billion poly's each doesn't make it much easier, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 14:12

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 RFactor_2019-04-30_15-02-46-55

No, this isn't some sort of car teaser. I wish it was, because I couldn't make it so dark that it's barely visible.
Actually, I have a little problem, which is that one of the rim textures just decided to go apeshit and covered everything as soon as this car got loaded. And loading other cars doesn't resolve it.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 16:09

It looks like the 6 wheel Williams FW08. I've not seen it in the mod.
Its probably best to go back to the original mas file.
In 3dsimed you can save the texture materials and reload them, that can be quite useful.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 16:25

David Sabre wrote:
It looks like the 6 wheel Williams FW08. I've not seen it in the mod.
Its probably best to go back to the original mas file.
In 3dsimed you can save the texture materials and reload them, that can be quite useful.
It's the FW08B, yes. Also, it is in the mod. Just not implemented yet; I can imagine why.

If you look into the williams.mas, you'll see various files with the prefix "fw08b", and if you open the "williams.scn", you'll see the car.
I tried putting the parts into an upgrade file, which I assume was a mistake. I should probably make it a whole different folder, different mas, completely independant from the normal FW07/FW08 in the williams directory.
Also, in 3dSimEd, the car looks perfectly fine, textures loaded, all that stuff. But in the game, when it got loaded, every UI element, the car, everything got covered by the rim texture..
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 16:31

I'm playing with the thought of putting this, the Arrows A5 with the double front wing, the Alfa 182 Turbo and the Renault RE30B with the double rear wing into a separate category for cars that never raced that year (at least to my knowledge at the moment)
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 16:40

Pascal Mikula wrote:
Also, in 3dSimEd, the car looks perfectly fine, textures loaded, all that stuff. But in the game, when it got loaded, every UI element, the car, everything got covered by the rim texture..
It could be that the FW08B needs a car skin adding to its skins folder. Although I'm not sure why everything would be the same texture. scratch
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 16:44

David Sabre wrote:
Pascal Mikula wrote:
It could be that the FW08B needs a car skin adding to its skins folder. Although I'm not sure why everything would be the same texture. scratch
In the veh file (i created a different folder within the williams team folder called FW08B), i specified a skin to be loaded.. Maybe it was really the mistake that I had it in the same folder as the other cars, but I don't know. I'd put this car on a lower priority for now - I just want to get all veh files in first, so that all cars can be loaded before I tackle on individual cars; given that basically I'm not much of a fan of the upgrades determining what car model is used either. But I don't want to take too much on myself at once.
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 19:31

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Unknown

Things are starting to take some form and shape!

Checkpoint update due tonight!

Thanks to a little turnaround in attitude and the sheer existence of a plan on how and when to do things!  bounce
Back to top Go down
Lukáš Vydra
Experienced Driver
Lukáš Vydra

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2018-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 19:44

Amazing work so far Pascal  :clap:  :top:  Hoping it won't be useless and we can race on it someday in the future bounce
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 19:51

Lukáš Vydra wrote:
Amazing work so far Pascal  :clap:  :top:  Hoping it won't be useless and we can race on it someday in the future bounce

No pressure at all  lol!

But I'm doing my best with what I have and what I have is lots and lots of time and coffee! :jp:
And hopefully, at some point when I've got the graphics finished, the knowledge needed to get the physics right (and maybe get those cars to be a little more FPS-friendly. No kidding, the front section alone has like a million polygons and I have no idea how to reduce the amount without making it look like it's straight outta N64 or something)
Back to top Go down
Pascal Mikula
Racing Legend
Pascal Mikula

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 30 Apr 2019 - 20:49

Oh my God

So I was wondering how to change textures/skins with certain upgrades...
The mod itself gave me a (one, maybe THE ONE) solution.

The Tyrrell 011 has no skins available for selection, however with upgrades it changes livery.
How come?

Simple.

Every upgrade has different cockpit, nose cone, engine cover, etc. 3d models. They all are made of different materials, too.
And each material has a different texture associated with it.

That would, in turn, make the whole fiddling with the veh file and the TrackLivery bullcrap unnecessary, since the correct livery/track car can just be chosen from the upgrades menu.
Hooly shit halleluja. (then again, i can imagine it being not the best idea file-size-wise but i don't care at the moment, I'm just having a big "OH" moment)

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 RFactor_2019-04-30_21-51-32-51
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 RFactor_2019-04-30_21-51-35-07
Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 RFactor_2019-04-30_21-51-37-69

(This was more a memo to myself than a revelation; then again, it feels like one to me.)

Also, there are two green liveries in each livery folder for both Alboreto and Henton (one with the big and one with the small engine cover) sooooooooo that's gonna be some more research..yay!  :doh:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mod F1 1982 for rFactor   Mod F1 1982 for rFactor - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mod F1 1982 for rFactor
Page 4 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next