Robert Wickens' horrible crash at Pocono

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2015-01-11

PostSubject: Robert Wickens' horrible crash at Pocono   Mon 20 Aug - 12:08

I guess most of you have heard about it already. Robert Wickens had a horrible crash yesterday at Pocono Speedway. Watching it live, it was the worst experience since Las Vegas 2011 and Pocono 2015. Anytime an Indycar goes up into the fence it's bad. I really feared he's dead. All the interviews were very somber and it was obvious that everybody feared the worst. And it took so long (some 45 minutes) until they finally announced that he's awake and alert. Of course, he suffered serious injuries. According to the latest reports, he has broken both ankles, right hand, there's something wrong with his spine, he has a pulmonary contusion. Let's hope he will fully recover.

It was a freak accident, but the outcome could have been much worse. Not only for Robert, but also for Ryan Hunter Reay. Rob's car literally ripped off a part of RHR's roll hoop. The gap between the flying wreck and RHR's head was some 15cm. This could have easily been a double fatality. As bad as it is for Wickens, i think Lady Luck was watching yesterday...

Last edited by Petr Hlavac on Mon 20 Aug - 13:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend

Number of posts : 1676
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Robert Wickens' horrible crash at Pocono   Mon 20 Aug - 12:22

That accident is stupid at various levels, but the main ones are:

What the HELL was Ryan thinking??? Cutting his nose like that? They are driving way too close and way too dangerous in indycar today, and i blame the cars for that.

Why are the fences still made of individual poles like that? It's another fatality waiting to happen, like with Weldon...

PostSubject: Re: Robert Wickens' horrible crash at Pocono   Mon 20 Aug - 12:39

Richard Wilks wrote:
That accident is stupid at various levels, but the main ones are:

What the HELL was Ryan thinking??? Cutting his nose like that? They are driving way too close and way too dangerous in indycar today, and i blame the cars for that.

Why are the fences still made of individual poles like that? It's another fatality waiting to happen, like with Weldon...

Well, i don't agree with Michael Andretti very often, but this time i think he's right. It was effectively the first lap of a 500-miler. Wickens was barely there, RHR still gave him enough time and space to back off. Sadly, Wickens pushed too hard, given the circumstances. RHR isn't a wrecker, i see it as a very unfortunate racing incident.

And those fences... yeah... they're bad. Maybe the poles could be positioned further from the track, something like safety nets at downhill skiing. But i guess it would require a major redesign. And i doubt anybody (except for Indianapolis) would be willing to do it, as the current fencing is gravely dangerous only for Indycar. NASCAR simply rips through anything and it doesn't endanger the driver that much.

Number of posts : 810
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Robert Wickens' horrible crash at Pocono   Tue 21 Aug - 9:05

huge crash...on the other hand the main part of carbody looks to stay intact...

Petr Hlavac
Pro Driver

PostSubject: Re: Robert Wickens' horrible crash at Pocono   Tue 21 Aug - 9:30

Karel Marciniszyn wrote:
huge crash...on the other hand the main part of carbody looks to stay intact...

Yes, the DW12 tub is incredibly strong. G-force inside the cockpit is what harms the drivers. Looking at slow-mo replay, I also think that HANS failed. Sadly, that might be the reason why his spinal injuries are rather serious. He underwent a surgery on his spine and there are fears that he might be paralyzed Crying or Very sad

PostSubject: Re: Robert Wickens' horrible crash at Pocono   

Back to top Go down

Robert Wickens' horrible crash at Pocono
Page 1 of 1