Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Historical sports curiosities

Go down 
+2
David Sabre
Marie de Lacrowe
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Marie de Lacrowe
Club Driver
Marie de Lacrowe

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-29

Historical sports curiosities Empty
PostSubject: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2018 - 12:11

Historical sports curiosities Vice_010

Historical sports curiosities Vice_10 Historical sports curiosities Vice_12 Historical sports curiosities Vice_14 Historical sports curiosities Vice_34

Historical sports curiosities Vice_16 Historical sports curiosities Vice_18 Historical sports curiosities Vice_20 Historical sports curiosities Vice_36

Historical sports curiosities Vice_22 Historical sports curiosities Vice_24 Historical sports curiosities Vice_26

Historical sports curiosities Vice_28 Historical sports curiosities Vice_30 Historical sports curiosities Vice_32

More than 10 years have passed since the famous tobacco brands stopped appearing in Formula 1, replacing them were banks and financial groups or telephone companies and finally energy drinks. For my curiosity I found a series of images that advertised a tobacco brand in which many racers of the past appear, but all these characters smoked the product in which they were a witness or was it only a question of economic gain ?

It seems that in the years when tobacco was running the economy of Fornula 1, there were a very considerable number of pilots hired by a brand of tobacco and therefore the use of their presence in a promotional message for tobacco was so by chance. The smoke is harmful and I have always made it clear to my father how this vice is harmful to him, so I do not want to advertise anything in this short my post because it is simply my research on the connection between tobacco and car drivers sports.

Looking closely at all these faces in which they participated in the advertising campaign of this brand of tobacco I found a pilot in which I had already noted the use in this forum, that the choice is given for the skill of the pilot during his best years? I do not know yet but I hope to find this answer too soon.
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2018 - 16:02

Lots of sports were used for tobacco advertising.
http://tobacco.stanford.edu/tobacco_main/subtheme.php?token=fm_mt018.php
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2018 - 16:17

Only one of those posters has an actual driver though, and that's the first one with Joe Leonard. The rest are all actors, correct, if they're drivers I don't recognize any of them and some of the cars are fake as well.
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2018 - 16:36

Apparently its also impossible to do sports without alcoholic beverages (though each publication on training and nutrition I've read so far emphasizes the adverse effects of alcohol on recovery), and especially if you look at the number of cars sponsored by beer and booze brands, DUI seems to be no big issue... Wink

On some of those ads, you can see the car and person have been edited into the picture.

I've read somewhere, though I haven't found it so far, even nonsmoker Jacky Ickx once posed for JPS...
Back to top Go down
David Jundt
Racing Legend
David Jundt

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2018 - 17:47

I once asked Jägermeister if I could put their logo on a virtual car, but they were already going by the motto "booze and racing don't mix well, we've left that area behind".

Martini turned me down(shortly before they returned to F1, muppets).

That F1-like car with the #1... looks like somebody tried to combine the Teapot Ligier with spare parts of a March chassis with Ford engine?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/David-Jundt-450976341729894/
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2018 - 18:23

David Jundt wrote:
That F1-like car with the #1... looks like somebody tried to combine the Teapot Ligier with spare parts of a March chassis with Ford engine?

And an Oompa Loompa as driver :D
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2018 - 18:38

It's a March 721 from 1972 with Lauda at the wheel. Can't believe you didn't get that.
Back to top Go down
David Jundt
Racing Legend
David Jundt

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jun 2018 - 18:41

Ah, yes it actually was. Kinda thought they edited the car aswell for some reason, ha.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/David-Jundt-450976341729894/
Marie de Lacrowe
Club Driver
Marie de Lacrowe

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jun 2018 - 13:26

Historical sports curiosities March_10

Historical sports curiosities March_04 Historical sports curiosities March_06 Historical sports curiosities March_08

Historical sports curiosities March_10 Historical sports curiosities March_12 Historical sports curiosities March_14

Historical sports curiosities March_16 Historical sports curiosities March_18 Historical sports curiosities March_20

A very unusual car among those I saw running on television, but the choice to create an innovative car that could compete among the best teams of the time was a chance that the March team did not miss making the model 721. Driving this car during the 1972 season was the Swedish rider Ronnie Peterson who obtained an excellent 3rd place in the grand prix of Germany and concluded the world championship of that year with 12 points, ranking 9 among the best drivers. A car that had its say to others ...
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jun 2018 - 3:59

the Car in the Viceroy Ad is a 721X, it was a bit of a disaster. The Works team opted to go with the car that CMG had purchased from them and ran the 721G for the rest of the season. I don't think anyone who purchased an actual 721 finished the season with it, Frank Williams had modified his cars, they put a nose similar to the 721G and did some other modifications.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Historical sports curiosities   Historical sports curiosities Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Historical sports curiosities
Page 1 of 1