Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread

Go down 
+26
Jonatan Acerclinth
Steve Parker
Jan Kowalski
Petr Hlavac
Laurent Binet
Michal Janak
Greg Hunt
Philippe Martinelli
Peter Blom
Gérard Ryon
David Jaques
David Sabre
David Jundt
Yves Plaçais
Timo Vermeersch
Gabriel Sterr
Austin Johnson
Richard Coxon
Juha Bos
Scott Urick
Chris Stephens
Jason Whited
Richard Wilks
François Remmen
Jason Fitch
Alberto Ibañez
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Empty
PostSubject: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 9:43

As the title says, and so that we don't miss any post in that regard, you can put here your comments, questions and glitch/bugs report. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2015-04-18

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 15:47

Been mentioned in another thread, but the engine has a static-y sound at the top end.
Back to top Go down
François Remmen
Pro Driver
François Remmen

Number of posts : 880
Registration date : 2012-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 19:03

despite the sound bug , it's pretty decent made :clap:
but cannot dial in proper ffb yet
i miss the realfeel in the upgrades like it is in rfactor

which version you guys converted from?
chiefwiggum v1.0 with his update v1.1?
includes the MONZA car set in detailes car skins, dusty and clean

https://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=F1+1971+ChiefWiggum

means this latest version of rfactor  contains the sound patch by Wolferi ( same guy as made our 91he sounds )
and harder phsysics , means engine will blow up faster under redlining too often

seems the engines are concrete solid crossing the redline too often now in AMS
in the rfactor version you blow up very rapid doing this often
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 19:09

Francois, the physics were totally changed, as well as the sounds, by me. I used some of the samples from Wolferl, but i changed a lot of things.

As for the Monza cars, they will come later.
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2017-03-08

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 19:37

Will each car create separate data in the realfeel file?

I'm looking through the file, wanting to adjust the forces slightly (a bit much with my wheel) at the rack...but I'm having a hard time identifying which one is for these cars.

Anyone happen to know off the top of the head the name of that/those?

TIA

Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 19:40

No, the realfeel forces use the default formula retro real feel settings that came with AMS for all the cars. I sugest you use the in game settings for that.
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 19:44

Ok.

But when I fire up a given car in the mod, does it create another bit of code in the realfeel file for that particular car, or does it just read out what the Formula Retro is set to?

Personally, I'd rather adjust it from the file...it's basically some dampering I need to do and the fidelity is always better when adjusted from here (or it's placebo effect)...either way, would rather do it from here, though I understand why it would sometimes be best to adjust in game.

No problem either way. I'll track it down, but if it's just reading from the Retro's and I can adjust there, that would be good :hello:
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 19:53

No it doesn't create a new line, it reads out of the formula retro one.
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Pro Driver
Jason Whited

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 19:56

Richard Wilks wrote:

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 20:12

The sound clipping i noticed it only happens in multiplayer... It is connected with a resample filter that AMS uses, i can turn it off in the sound files, and i did, but somehow it becomes on again automatically in a multiplayer session. Or at least this is the only explanation i can find for this...
Back to top Go down
Chris Stephens
Club Driver

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2016-07-12

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 22:12

Richard Wilks wrote:

Can i ask why you guys decided to go that route. Its different physics then retro so why change the default settings.

Also will you be implementing any throttle mapping that AMS uses to the engines
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 22:15

We didnt change any default settings. IT uses the retro settings because they already there in the realfeel file, and it avoids that you lose your settings everytime Reiza updates the realfeel file themselves.

I won't be implementing the throttle mapping in these cars, because they didnt have any back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Chris Stephens
Club Driver

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 22:41

I wasn't implying that you changed them, more if i change the settings for these cars it changes whatever settings I have for retro, so if i run the retros I have to remember what i use to have them at. If you change the settings to suit your wheel style you lose those settings everytime Reiza updates anyways. No problem then, I just know to backup my Retro numbers.
Back to top Go down
Chris Stephens
Club Driver

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 23:22

Richard Wilks wrote:
I won't be implementing the throttle mapping in these cars, because they didnt have any back in the day.

First, I'm not debating or questioning your decision to not implement but trying to get a clear understanding. I'm trying to learn a bit by porting some mods over for personal use. It's my understanding that the throttle mapping was instituted to handle a flaw in the physics engine in how it handles the torque a low rpm and thats why the Formula Vintages have it. Is that not the case? Do you think this inclusion on the Vintages gives a, um artificial representation of the low end torque. All I know is that when they developed the VThrottle settings, it certaining was felt when using the clutch especially on launching from a standstill. You definitely gain a more gradual release on the clutch where before it seemed like only the last little bit of pedal travel mattered. On the 71's I didn't notice a difficulty when starting but say on the USAC's in rF the clutch is basically at the end of its travel before she starts rolling. Is that down to the characteristics of the cars engine. Am I making any sense? I know my technical vocab is lacking a bit.
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeMon 12 Feb 2018 - 23:36

To be honest i have no idea why they are using it in the Vintage cars, but as far as i know, the throttle mappings are indeed tied to different throttle managements according to the gear selected, and the new turbo implementation. My knowledge of the variables is not complete yet, but what i do realize is that without them, the behavior is just like rf1, throttle linked directly to how much fuel or power the engine is making. I mean as far as i know, the vintages might have the variables there in the engine file, and still they have minimal to no effect in this, it all depends of the values they picked.
Back to top Go down
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeWed 14 Feb 2018 - 4:50

Any setup tips?
Back to top Go down
Scott Urick
Experienced Driver
Scott Urick

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeWed 14 Feb 2018 - 5:16

Jason Fitch wrote:

Any setup tips?

Just one. Learn to build a setup. :doh:
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
Alberto Ibañez

Number of posts : 16788
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeWed 14 Feb 2018 - 9:49

Quote :
You definitely gain a more gradual release on the clutch where before it seemed like only the last little bit of pedal travel mattered. On the 71's I didn't notice a difficulty when starting but say on the USAC's in rF the clutch is basically at the end of its travel before she starts rolling. Is that down to the characteristics of the cars engine.

I believe that on cars with more power that require harder clutches the point where it bites tends to move to the final of the pedal travel. There are several parameters on the clutch that can be changed, it has inertia, torque, etc. so probably some experimenting with it can produce better results.

For the USAC cars I did not dedicate much time to it because you have rolling starts and spend 99% time in top gear, so it was not worth sinking lots of effort into that.

I should say anyway that a real life competition clutch from the 70s was a rather rough affair, the cars moved from standing with 1st gear engaged and the clutch fully pressed because of the high density of the fluid and the stiff springs needed to handle the torque without breaking over a race. That is why you see all cars moving a bit in the grids just before the flag drops. They are not jumping the start, it's the clutch struggling to couple the disks back. So yes, definitely a properly simulated clutch should bite from the beginning of pedal release, in fact it should be already biting before you start releasing the clutch.
Back to top Go down
Juha Bos
Racing Legend
Juha Bos

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2016-05-11

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeWed 14 Feb 2018 - 20:47

I noticed a few things in the car descriptions.

McLaren: only Hulme's cars have the model indicated. The others cars in the mod just have the manufacturer listed.

Penske: engine is named Ford instead of Cosworth.

Every Surtees has a Ford engine, John's own has a Cosworth.

Back to top Go down
http://www.rallyfoto.be
Jason Fitch
Pro Driver
Jason Fitch

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeWed 14 Feb 2018 - 21:38

on that same vein, one of the Ferrari's listed itself as having a V12 Cosworth DFV or something along those lines.
Back to top Go down
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
Richard Coxon

Number of posts : 16590
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeThu 15 Feb 2018 - 11:23

Jason Fitch wrote:

on that same vein, one of the Ferrari's listed itself as having a V12 Cosworth DFV or something along those lines.

Hmm i don't see this. All of them say a Ferrari 12B for me. scratch
Back to top Go down
Austin Johnson
Pro Driver
Austin Johnson

Number of posts : 814
Registration date : 2013-01-14

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeThu 15 Feb 2018 - 17:28

So if you flat spot your tires go in the pits and change them to a new set. Does the old set still stay flat spotted? I've tried several times to feel a difference. It's seems to me after you switch back to the old set they are no longer flat spotted.....Any thoughts??
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Sterr
Club Driver
Gabriel Sterr

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2018-01-03

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeThu 15 Feb 2018 - 20:06

Yes, in my experience during testing flat spots are not carried over. On the one hand this is probably unrealistic, on the other hand it will spare us a lot of pain and suffering during qualy.
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeThu 15 Feb 2018 - 20:09

I dont think it's unrealistic. The team would probably shave off flatspots off the tires in the pits, they had the tools and the tire technicians around for that.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Sterr
Club Driver
Gabriel Sterr

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2018-01-03

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitimeThu 15 Feb 2018 - 20:10

I've though of that. If that is true, then it's a cool feature with no downsides!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread   The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The bugs, glitches, feedback and driving tips thread
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next