Historic Simracing Organisation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Historic Simracing Organisation

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]

Go down 
+26
Yves Plaçais
Mick Chapman
David Sabre
Steve Parker
Raul Jereb
Alberto Ibañez
Adam Hackman
Petr Hlavac
Michael Drechsler
Peter Blom
Richard Wilks
Richard Coxon
Bruno Chacon
David Jundt
Grant Riddall
Bob Holada
Lewis Stephens
Juha Bos
Pascal Mikula
Jason Fitch
Martin Lacina
Jason Whited
Lee Simpson
Jan Kowalski
Dana Schurer
Jason White
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Peter Blom
Pro Driver
Peter Blom

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jun 2017 - 23:07

Raul Jereb wrote:
I think it was mr. Blom (he had few more kamikaze moves - I have to learn to perform those Smile

What Kamikaze moves Raul? I think you are confused with somebody else, otherwise please point out what lap. Only time I had contact with somebody was around lap 20 because of a massive pile up in front of me in turn 1 which costed me my front wing. Clean race for me for the rest. EDIT I just saw the replay and it looks like Dana blew her engine shifting down before turn 1..that's why she was so slow there, shame she sticked on the racing line which resulted in the pile up.

I enjoyed the race. Shame I had too much wing on my setup but I managed to finish 3rd thanks to all the guys around me having engine problems or crashing. :third:

Well done Grant and Richard you guys were so fast :top:

Last edited by Peter Blom on Sun 25 Jun 2017 - 23:54; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Juha Bos
Racing Legend
Juha Bos

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2016-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jun 2017 - 23:09

Petr Hlavac wrote:
Unfortunately, the car started to smoke during the last seconds of my stop and the engine got cooked shortly after i rejoined the track.

Welcome to the joys of driving the Porsche. A piece of advice for its future driver of drivers: ALWAYS watch the temperature gauge, and never rev it in the pit lane. I got it through two races without issues.

And yes, it's a fabulous chassis. I only dropped it because I grew tired of obsessively monitoring the gauges. My luck would have ran out sooner or later. :D
Back to top Go down
http://www.rallyfoto.be
Juha Bos
Racing Legend
Juha Bos

Number of posts : 1687
Registration date : 2016-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jun 2017 - 23:27

That one definitely ended better than it started for me.

After a points finish at Long Beach in the underpowered Coyne March and two races in the self-detonating Porsche I finally got my hands on a proper engine, a Cosworth. For this race it was bolted in the back of a T87 Lola, but I'll get a T88 for the next rounds so I could live with it. It also meant I could have my favourite number, 22, and a Belgian driver. No reason to complain!

Or maybe there was one reason: I like Portland, but I can't trail brake. This meant I'd lose time in the long turns, and there's a lot of them at this track. Even with a proper setup a fast time wasn't going to happen so I settled for something safe and stable I could keep going for 100 odd laps and maybe score some points on attrition like I did at Long Beach.

I was far too cautious at the start and dropped back. I then gained a few places, had a nice fight trying to keep Janak and Stephens behind me, and after about 10 laps my virus scan decided it needed to warn me while going through the final turn andrFactor minimised. So much for the so-called gaming mode. Evil or Very Mad

Back in the game I had a Lola minus one wheel, but the engine was still running. I dived into the pits and was greeted by a 600 second repair job. I was dead last but didn't intend to give up. I'd spend hours on the setup so at least I was going to enjoy trashing the car for the remaining 80 laps.

Then the yellows happened and I realised I was getting closer to that final points scoring position. A few pile-ups later I held 12th, and after more accidents and blown engines I crossed the line in 6th. Last, 10 laps down, but the same result I had at Indy, another bag of useful points and a lot better than I expected 15 laps into the race.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rallyfoto.be
Bob Holada
Club Driver
Bob Holada

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2016-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jun 2017 - 0:53

Well I believe I was in way over my head for this race. I had a good car (88 Lola). I had a number of setups from other drivers.
But after putting in laps every day last week could only manage a couple of laps under 1:04. In Qualification I had a tough time getting in more than 2 laps before I had someone who was much faster wanting to bet by. The track was always full of cars. Hardly mattered though since I knew I would start last. At the start I couldn't quite keep up with 2 86 Marches. For the most part I could handle faster cars coming up behind to pass. But when a large pack of cars came up on me I felt I had no place to go. I damaged the car from that incident. Made it to the pits for a lenthy pit stop.
Turned the ignition off. But turned it back on too soon and blew the engine. All for the best I'd say. Why didn't I race in the Indy lights race instead? Oh yeah there is no Indy lights this year.
I'll try again at Cleveland.
Back to top Go down
Yves Plaçais
Racing Legend
Yves Plaçais

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jun 2017 - 11:28

Arf, pas de chance sur ce coup-là  :doh: , c'est la course !  :aie:

Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jun 2017 - 12:01

BoB Holada wrote:
Well I believe I was in way over my head for this race.  I had a good car (88 Lola).  I had a number of setups from other drivers.
But after putting in laps every day last week could only manage a couple of laps under 1:04.  In Qualification I had a tough time getting in more than 2 laps before I had someone who was much faster wanting to bet by. The track was always full of cars. Hardly mattered though since I knew I would start last. At the start I couldn't quite keep up with 2 86 Marches.  For the most part I could handle faster cars coming up behind to pass. But when a large pack of cars came up on me I felt I had no place to go.  I damaged the car from that incident. Made it to the pits for a lenthy pit stop.
Turned the ignition off.  But turned it back on too soon and blew the engine.  All for the best I'd say.  Why didn't I race in the Indy lights race instead?  Oh yeah there is no Indy lights this year.
I'll try again at Cleveland.
Bob, I appreciate your kind driving, thanks. :top: This is a tough series to be competitive in and drivers of all abilities are welcome. On to Cleveland.
Back to top Go down
David Sabre
Racing Legend
David Sabre

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jun 2017 - 12:02

Yves Plaçais wrote:
It looks like I got all of the luck there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Yves Plaçais
Racing Legend
Yves Plaçais

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jun 2017 - 12:49

David Sabre wrote:
Yves Plaçais wrote:
It looks like I got all of the luck there. Very Happy

Sure, David ! Wink
Back to top Go down
Michael Drechsler
Pro Driver
Michael Drechsler

Number of posts : 671
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jun 2017 - 18:29

Yves Plaçais wrote:

Looks familiar to me... :smil20:
Back to top Go down
Michal Janak
Racing Legend
Michal Janak

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2010-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jun 2017 - 18:51

yesterday race, great fun , after 14 days on isle of Elba (Italy) i got to the PC at around 19 o'clock. found that there is race, downloaded track and patches, first laps in 2 old 86C disaster, many seconds from rest of the field, but added some wings and fialy got to times ot to be last, at the end of Q session i set my race setup, boost to 1 , 1 or 2 clics dow om may rews and added full tank, the car was nearly same driveable as in Q, (1sr split i did -0,3 better than my best Q time). And race? greaaat fun with some battles for positions , with luck no damage to the car ad luckyli avoided some crashes in front of me, only bad was the yellow phases, whe nearly fall asleep, but in full tempo i pushed car to my limits and enjoyed 4 wheels drift on superb track with nice rhytm and great parts of sequences of tihtening turns, great feel of the car , nice mod, great track for battles , i dont like ovals but clasic circuits and cart88 is super combo
Back to top Go down
Richard Wilks
Racing Legend
Richard Wilks

Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jun 2017 - 17:56

After this disaster of a race i can conclude 2 things:

a) people can't make a clean pass to save their lives when the car in front is just faster down the straight

b) i better just adopt the tactic of cruising around, not fight with anybody and go to the finish, because with only 6 cars at the end, points and a good result are basically garanteed :smil20:
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver
Jan Kowalski

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jun 2017 - 14:43

Richard Wilks wrote:
After this disaster of a race i can conclude 2 things:

a) people can't make a clean pass to save their lives when the car in front is just faster down the straight

b) i better just adopt the tactic of cruising around, not fight with anybody and go to the finish, because with only 6 cars at the end, points and a good result are basically garanteed :smil20:

I was wondering too that there were no penalties. Its getting annoying to have a damaged car every time by stupid driving. Lets hope the best for Cleveland.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]   Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th] - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round 5 - Portland Grand Prix [Jun 25th]
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5