Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Martin Lacina
Experienced Driver

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2016-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Sun 18 Jun 2017 - 23:23

Pascal Mikula wrote:
Martin Lacina wrote:
Pascal Mikula wrote:

Martin Lacina, I know you were faster, but pushing so hard into the turn and making me spin isn't cool! I mean, it didn't give me any damage but it was just not cool.. Not gonna put anything against you, but you could have waited for the straight. Smile

My point of view is a bit different. I saw a again your very agressive behaviour ( closing the door in each corners when i was next to you) and as i saw your spin has been caused by a lot of touching into my rear so your mistake not mine. Please stop blaming everybody when you make any mistake.
And why did I touch your rear? Because you forced yourself next to me in T3 - where I was in front, but only a bit slower on the entry.

You cannot easily accepted that i gained your position. You could try to take it back in next corner. Insted of this you had to revenge immediatelly. Its not go-kart racing Pascal.

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Sun 18 Jun 2017 - 23:25

Pascal, there was one situation, where I wasn't to happy about your driving, either. Needed a dab on the brakes, else you might have run over my front left wheel...

Pro Driver

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2012-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Sun 18 Jun 2017 - 23:26

The broadcast for this event can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5FpOTvsssM

Cheers :drink:

If you are scared entering a corner, you are pushing to hard,
if you are bored entering a corner, you aren't pushing enough,
if you hit it perfectly, it will be better than love
Back to top Go down
Jari Bruppacher
Rookie

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2015-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Sun 18 Jun 2017 - 23:30

Great race everyone. Dana that battle was incredible. A shame we touched. But it was awesome racing. Also thanks to the other people involved and everyone, from the broadcasting crew to the people at HSO. That was really a great experience.

Number of posts : 520
Registration date : 2016-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Sun 18 Jun 2017 - 23:31

I'll wait for results to be confirmed but wherever I end up it within the top 6, it will be beyond my pre-race expectations.

Like at Milwaukee I had to run a lot of radiator and be cautious with the boost button. Unless I managed to tag my wagon onto a slipstream train I couldn't expect much. As such, my only plan was to stay out of trouble.

I was very lucky when I narrowly avoided one of the first accidents in T3-4 and again when I suffered only minor rear damage when one of the pink/blue/white Lolas cut in front of me in T1 making me back off and receiving a nudge from behind.

Having avoided all the drama and planning my pitstops to gain track position wherever I could, I even managed to work myself up to 4th place when entering the last quarter of the race.

75% engine life left, inside the top 5; the waiting game was over and I turned up the boost. Not that it mattered much but it went a bit faster. After David Jaques retired I even held 3rd place behind Jari and Dana. That was a bit of a shock. :D I also got a Stop & Go, I was 4th when entering, 6th when I got out and I have no idea where I really finished, but I'm glad I managed to go the full distance and on the lead lap - supposedly. :D

2016 Jigger Award Winner :first:
Back to top Go down
http://www.rallyfoto.be
Pascal Mikula
Pro Driver

Number of posts : 555
Registration date : 2016-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Sun 18 Jun 2017 - 23:32

Michael Drechsler wrote:
Pascal, there was one situation, where I wasn't to happy about your driving, either. Needed a dab on the brakes, else you might have run over my front left wheel...
When or wherever that was, I don't know. However, my apologies for that, I probably misjudged your position in my mirrors.

What is Psychosis? - When everybody turns into tiny dolls and they have needles in their mouths and they hate you and you don't care because you have THE KNIFE! AHAHAHAHAHAHA! - Definition courtesy of Dr Lemuel Pillmeister (also known as Lemmy)
Back to top Go down
http://youtube.com/GrandPrixracer100
Jason White
Racing Legend

Number of posts : 11965
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Sun 18 Jun 2017 - 23:50

Results and points are up.

Championship battle is really tight Smile

Club Driver

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2015-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Sun 18 Jun 2017 - 23:56

Great race.  My car was fantastic and forgiving and my connection seemed solid the whole race.  My restarts were terrible, as always, losing two or three places but I was able to get them back in ten laps or so.  Fuel strategy: pit every yellow and run boost five as much as possible. About two thirds of the way in my Logitech wheel clunked and dropped FF and went from 200 degrees to 900 degrees rotation.  That took some mental adjustment.

I did get hit with a late race bogus stop/go, which I served.  Looks like I'm not the only one.  In the final laps I was closing in on Jason for forth when he turned it up and left me in the dust.

Fifth place is an amazing finish for me.

Thanks again to the HSO crew for putting on this amazing race.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1988 CART: Lola/Cosworth #24  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited by Lee Simpson on Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 15:56; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jan Kowalski
Pro Driver

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2008-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 0:13

Never flipped 360, and finished on podium scratch  I lost 1 - 1.5s per Lap then, but i think Dana and Jari were too fast.

Grats to all finishers.

Now move on to Portland. Finally a road course, no more bad drag only good downforce :champ:

Thanks for the organisation and the patience after the postponed race :hello:

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2017-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 0:57

Superbly put on show!!! Excellent racing, a nail biter thru and thru, truly couldn't ask for more out a race.

My race:

Well, the 78/79 laps that I managed were awesome. Was having a blast....had overcome a few close calls, 2 of which nearly gave me a gd heart attack affraid ....car was clean and damage free, stops were going nicely enough (was happy about that. I'd had a few troubles in pit road when slowing from higher speeds after realizing there was no pit road speed. My fault, should have read the pre race more concisely).....

...I had managed to move from my original starting position of 26th all the way into the top 10...running as high as P7 or P8 (maybe even P6..can't be sure without looking though).....was really happy with the run I was having.

Lap 78 or 79:

I'd spent some laps running behind Jan after a restart. I was quite comfortable just playing follow the leader. Our additional speed saw us closing the gap on 3 cars ahead of us that were running together. Not sure who was there. We had a head of steam....think Jan and others (not even sure exactly who was around at the time) got on by....I was running a higher line around the 3 of them...suddenly the car in the middle of that little pack gets loose, turns nearly completely sideways in....T2/4? Not even sure.....
I actually thought the driver was catching the car, so after lifting a bit I started to throttle back down some...but then the car gets more and more perpendicular to the track Shocked ...I lift again and thought about going to the bottom of the track, but I'm pretty sure there was a car directly to the left of me...so, option is out in .001 seconds. Looked high, about that time said car turns completely sideways and shoots towards the outside wall. I throttle down (only choice) hoping to split the gap in time. Was only just coming out of the corner. Pushed wide....perhaps even touched by the skidding car as it spun around? Reacted...had already lost the car....hit the outside wall....bounced from there to the inside wall. Car was destroyed and race over for me. ...but, that's racing. Whoever it was that got loose, it was just a racing incident.

Prior to that, I'd had 3 or 4 loose moments myself (near sideways twice...which is one reason I thought the car was being caught and recovered about the time it "snapped" and headed to the outside wall)

Bummer...but, after that incident, I headed over to the live stream and enjoyed the hell out of the rest of the race. Some really exciting stuff and the interactive nature of it all just really sets it off for me. Definitely an event to remember.

Grats to Jari on an awesome performance...and to the rest of the podium and all finishers.

And huge thanks to the guys here at HSO that put all this together....and Jonathan (and all those who joined him for the stream) for the broadcast.

Great stuff, guys! Keep it coming! :drink:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend

Number of posts : 12444
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 10:16

I woke up today still furious and annoyed by the pedals failiure, this is the 2nd Indy in a row I am taken out by a hardware failure (Last year my shifter jumped from 4th to 2nd and sent my pistons flying past the moon) Mad . I am gutted because I am sure had the quickest car in the field and could have fought till the end Evil or Very Mad .

Anyway, congrats to Jari for his win and a special mention to Dana for bringing the fight to him in an inferior car with such skill and perseverance. You are hands down our quickest oval racer, the USAC title proved it and now you are again in the hunt for the championshiop this year. Good job and best of luck :top: Congrats to Kowalski for the podium and to all finishers too. It ended being a bit anticlimatic for what it could have been, but the track worked well and we will be using it in the future.

Apologizes to Jonathan for not having been in the mood to join the broadcast, and to anyone who had to pass me on both sides when I could not bring the car up to speed at the restart. It was a quite complicated situation for me, as I could not go over 160-180 mph on boost 5 with around 1/3 brake constantly locked on and neither could I move left to let people pass outside because they were flying past me on both sides. I had to do the full lap to the pits hitting the pedal hard and releasing it. It unstuck sometimes but then locked again, so I drove into the pits and quit. A yellow was triggered, but it was because of Drechsler's spin as I could see later, so thanks God I did not cause extra grief to the rest.

Back to top Go down
Mike Becnel
Racing Legend

Number of posts : 3969
Registration date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 15:15

Jari Bruppacher wrote:

Great race everyone. Dana that battle was incredible. A shame we touched. But it was awesome racing. Also thanks to the other people involved and everyone, from the broadcasting crew to the people at HSO. That was really a great experience.

Congrats on the milk drink Jari!

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 15:18

Lee Simpson wrote:
Fifth place is an amazing finish for me.

Yes, wanted to tell you, Lee -- excellent, excellent job Smile

Experienced Driver

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 17:10

Well, I'm still kind of speechless about yesterdays race, and while I know in the meantime what exactly happened, I still have no concluding explanation why.

When the race went off, I felt pretty confident, I had a setup I was really happy with and which allowed me to do all kind of stuff Green flag, and my start was okay, though had to trade my position to Jari, but I could easily follow him in the draft, but early came the first yellow. On the first restart, Dana passed me and Alberto could catch my tail, and our little train could move a bit away from the field. I was satisfied at the time. Second yellow came, and I had a feeling, at that rate, it's going to be an exhausting race. I lost a bit out on the next restart, and Peter Blom and David Jacques passed me during the following laps. On lap 14, I was following Peter on the front stretch and already moving out to try a pass, but while I didn't yet consider slowing to make it through T1, Peter lifted because David had lifted, and the gap closed quicker than I anticipated, I hit Peters left rear tire at 235 mph and flipped over. The landing was hard, bent all four corners, and cost me my left rear tire, but I could hobble back to the pits. The following 7 minute repair stop put me 9 laps down and thus my race was pretty much done. My hope was that if my car was still nice, I might still fetch a point or two, but racing for a top position was done.
Well, I went back to racing, miles down, checked my car for a while, all felt nice and right, so I decided spur my horse :yaa:
Clearly being one of the fastest cars out there, if not the fastest car on track, I did my best to fight my way back, but as the race was once again a pretty fragmented one, I could only reclaim one lap when I found myself in front of the leaders as once again the safetycar came out. I had just one stop under green, and that cost me dearly as soon thereafter a yellow came out again. That way, I could never make use of the speed of my car, and the bulk of the field stayed on the lead lap or maybe one down. All positions I gained were due to other cars dropping out or in case of Bruno Chacon for his repair stops.
Closer to the end of my race, I had a pretty good run, overtaking many cars in front of me and enjoyed driving my car, even though I was so much down. During L138, I passed Richard Wilks and gave him a good draft for the next few laps. Three laps later, I was approaching the group of Martin Lacina, Petr Hlavac and Jan Kowalski. They were fighting pretty hard, and lost a bit of momentum which allowed me to close the gap and attack the group, but they were slower than it seemed at first. I had to decelerate to avoid running into Jan's back, but Richard right behind me realised that to late gave me a little nudge, as it seems from the replay, and that was enough to unsettle my car to understeer into the wall, which tore off my wing and busted my right rear tire. I kind of seemed to run through Martin's car, I hope I didn't damage anything on his car. When I saw that huge amount of damage on my car again, I decided that it is enough for today, didn't even consider having the car repaired again. Unfortunately I lost the car when trying to stop on the grass which triggered another yellow. Sorry about that. At least, I got 7 laps further than last year. 500 mile and me are no friends as of yet...Sad

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
[...] I am gutted because I am sure had the quickest car in the field and could have fought till the end Evil or Very Mad
I'd like to challenge that sentiment. I'm 100% certain I had the car to beat! Wink Dunno, and useless to contemplate about. I probably had the best setup I ever had. On a clear track, I could go all flat out, even with near full tank, once the tires were warm. Balance barely shifted with fuel being burned off, it stayed neutral following other cars in traffic, and if someone followed in my draft, it was ever so slightly oversteering, but it told me in time when enough was enough. Really a dream! But once again I could not really make use of it. I'm still pretty down... Sad

Racing Legend

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 17:15

No disrespect Michael, but I found your aggressiveness later on in the race a bit unnecessary.  You were several laps down at that point and had no real hope of regaining that lost ground.  So why did I have to continually defend myself against attacks from you on long straights?  You weren't battling for position, and you were putting those who were at more risk than needed, IMO.

Experienced Driver

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 18:54

Jason White wrote:
No disrespect Michael, but I found your aggressiveness later on in the race a bit unnecessary.  You were several laps down at that point and had no real hope of regaining that lost ground.  So why did I have to continually defend myself against attacks from you on long straights?  You weren't battling for position, and you were putting those who were at more risk than needed, IMO.

That was indeed a constant concern, and I have and want to apologize if I impeded other peoples races.

I was long in the hope that some kind of racing, that isn't constantly interrupted by yellows would take place, and then, I considered I might in the long term finally get into the same lap as those who already lost a bit, too. Obviously didn't happen.
The other thing might sound ridiculous, but it also is kind of a matter of perspective. I tried to go at a pace and rhythm I'm comfortable with. Of course I tried to get ahead of other cars, at least to see if I can pull away. If it wouldn't work, I put myself behind and dialed the boost down. Personally, I seldom felt like going risky, but you certainly got a point there, just because it feels like a relatively relaxed ride for me doesn't mean its the same for others. Once again, my apologies if I caused any trouble.

Experienced Driver

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2016-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 19:34

To see the finish is great but Richards lag during yellow and his hit into me damage my car so i had to spend 180s in the pit and my car after that has been not 100% and a lot understeery so when i once went in T3 into the wall i couldt unstick my car from the wall. Between T3 and T4 i tried to turn my wheel more from the wall but unfortunatelly it was a lot so my car become unstable for a moment and i caused problems for Bruno Chacon, Richard Wilks and especially to Petr who had to retire. Apologize for that, and also for the contact from the back during the batteling with you and Jan Kowalski.

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2016-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Mon 19 Jun 2017 - 23:21

Great organization, Great race, great broadcast, glad that I'had the possibility to race.

What a duel Jari and Dana  :clap:

Sorry Scott Urick for hurting during yellow flag  Sad , I hope you hadn't any problem during the race because of that.
A great battle :yaa: with the other 86C of Mick Chapman...what a pity that after we overtook each other... I was hit from the fastest guys  :cowboy2: ... I saw the sky  :urgence: ...and then I watched the next 170 laps on the broadcast...

:hello:
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 0:28

Additional Honors for this year's Indianapolis 500

Jigger Award  |  Alberto Ibañez 
This award is named for Jigger Sirois, the real-life first recipient in 1969.  It goes to the driver who experiences the hardest luck during the Month of May.  Alberto was a favorite to win this year's race, but hardware issues early on forced his retirement.  We hope he has better luck in 2018 Smile

Rookie of the Year  |  Jason Whited
Jason did not make the 33 car field at first, but was elevated to the grid following the aborted race day and the absence of several qualified cars.  Considering the fact that he was in an unwieldy car and had very little 500 mile/HSO experience, Jason did a great job on race day.  His retirement was a wrong place wrong time situation, and did not take away from his exemplary performance overall.

Bob Wilson Award  |  Scott Urick
This award goes to the most sportsmanlike driver.  Scott stepped in for the absent Jason Fitch and drove a good race. But beyond that, he was very helpful with setups for fellow competitors. He also did an excellent job providing color commentary during and after he retired from the race.  This enhancement of the experience for everyone is what the Bob Wilson Award is all about Smile

Club Driver

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2015-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 6:01

Jason White wrote:

Bob Wilson Award  |  Scott Urick
This award goes to the most sportsmanlike driver.  Scott stepped in for the absent Jason Fitch and drove a good race. But beyond that, he was very helpful with setups for fellow competitors. He also did an excellent job providing color commentary during and after he retired from the race.  This enhancement of the experience for everyone is what the Bob Wilson Award is all about Smile

I stand humbled and honored by this award. More so, the depth to which I am touched is beyond words and means more to me than the Bettenhausen Trophy most likely would! (I'm typing with goose bumps.)

Bob was man who had already lived a full and fruitful life beyond what most of us will experience before he found sim-racing and met any of us. Yet he found so much happiness in helping us all, providing real-life racing experience, then competing like a lion against us. Being part of that for him, to me, was honor enough. To receive this award with his name on it, and the first one, goes beyond any sim-racing success I could have hoped for. I still feel the blush in my face.

Just last night, I received a PM from Berry Lynn, Bob's wife, congratulating me on yesterday's run, offering consolation on not finishing, and kind words on my color commentary. Even then, this award never entered my mind. I was just pleased that she appreciated my work. I will most certainly forward this to her!

So, I want to thank all of you for this honor! To any of you who ever let me be a part of your race(s) with setup help or a little coaching, part of this is yours. I enjoy doing that almost as much as having a competitive race and maintain a personal interest in how each of you do each time. To Jonaton, for letting me be part of the broadcast, both on and off the track, and being so much fun to work with, you also have a part of this. And to Fitch, part yours, too. He did let me drive his car.

Finally, God Bless Bob Wilson! Thank you for letting us be a part of your life and being so happy we were in it. I would gladly trade this award to still have you with us!
Back to top Go down
Jason Whited
Club Driver

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2017-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   Tue 20 Jun 2017 - 14:18

Jason White wrote:

Rookie of the Year  |  Jason Whited
Jason did not make the 33 car field at first, but was elevated to the grid following the aborted race day and the absence of several qualified cars.  Considering the fact that he was in an unwieldy car and had very little 500 mile/HSO experience, Jason did a great job on race day.  His retirement was a wrong place wrong time situation, and did not take away from his exemplary performance overall.

Truly honored by this award.  Thanks a ton!!!
Wow...I didn't expect that.  Shocked

For the canceled race, as was mentioned here, I didn't make the grid.  Ended up 2nd alternate.  I just could not get the car to do what I wanted it to do when I pressed it and even squeezing what I did from it seemed a chore.

When the race was rescheduled, initially I had obligations at another site in another series that I had planned near the first of this year.  As the week went on I felt less and less motivated to participate in that race, especially with recent revelations that a few idiots that aren't necessarily "playing fair" (I'll just leave it at that) are being allowed to race there.  I was watching the boards here and realized the grid was a bit short and thought, what the heck, nothing to lose and this should be fun....so, I threw my hat in.  

I had an absolutely blast (troubles aside) and am very glad I chose to participate here rather than be annoyed elsewhere.  Couldn't have asked for a better show.  THIS is how it's done and no one does it better (btw, I say this as a league organizer and admin elsewhere myself)...

......I'm sort of at a loss for words (rare for this ole "wordy" bastard)...

:drink:

And thanks to everyone for the great racing.  These guys put on the show, but it's those that participate that make or break it.  Lots of good, clean, respectful, yet hard racing out there Sunday.  
Just absolutely spectacular!  

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

(....now, off to see what I can do about adding this bad boy to my profile so I can wear around this badge of honor for a time  Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]   

Back to top Go down

Round 4 - Indianapolis 500 [Jun 18th Make Up]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6