HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mike Becnel
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 3970
Age : 50
Location : Sugar Land, TX, USA
Registration date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Thu 27 Jun 2013 - 18:42

Alessio Campigotto wrote:
Appears to have turned up on Virtualr.net now:

http://www.virtualr.net/1973-indycar-mod-for-rfactor-first-previews

Virtual r . net...10% article, 90% mega advertisements/spam on the page. More cookies than you can shake a stick at.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Thu 27 Jun 2013 - 18:51

Mike Becnel wrote:
Alessio Campigotto wrote:
Appears to have turned up on Virtualr.net now:

http://www.virtualr.net/1973-indycar-mod-for-rfactor-first-previews

Virtual r . net...10% article, 90% mega advertisements/spam on the page. More cookies than you can shake a stick at.

Oh man... the pressure is on now.... :hihi:

_________________
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Ben Paulet
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 8011
Age : 44
Location : Cagnes sur mer France
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Thu 27 Jun 2013 - 19:00

Great pressure is for great modder. Wink
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Thu 27 Jun 2013 - 19:03

Seriously speaking, there is a long way to go yet. Just now starting to optimize polygon count on the models, which takes a lot of patience and fine tuning. I'm glad that I have the vast experience and knowledge of the HSO community to help with the mapping and physics end...

_________________
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 14285
Age : 45
Location : Valencia - Spain
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Fri 28 Jun 2013 - 10:58

There is no pressure at all Jason, nobody expected this mod and has been waiting for it long time (Unlike the VLM Junior mod Rolling Eyes), plus the base models are so great that it could well make it directly into rFactor2 in some years. "It will be done when it's done (c)"




_________________
"There are two kind of oval racers, those who have hit the wall and those who will hit it" - Mario Andretti

Back to top Go down
Ben Paulet
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 8011
Age : 44
Location : Cagnes sur mer France
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Fri 28 Jun 2013 - 11:40

Of course, there is pressure on the Jason's shoulders. A big pressure.:D 
Back to top Go down
Robert Thurman
Rookie


Number of posts : 48
Age : 69
Location : california
Registration date : 2011-03-13

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 6:08

affraid 

Amazing. This makes me very happy.

The one thing that has always disappointed me about the mod community is the fact it is so Euro-centric. Other than NASCAR ,and a few very good Indycar mods, US series are not common. I've always wanted a good IMSA GTP mod. A lot of interesting cars there. When the FIA was restricting group C, IMSA was still wide open.

BTW Jason I like your avatar. Smoky, Jerry Karl at Ontario?


Last edited by Robert Thurman on Tue 2 Jul 2013 - 2:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alessio Campigotto
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 1249
Age : 20
Location : UK
Registration date : 2011-12-29

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 10:33

Robert Thurman wrote:
affraid 

Amazing. This makes me very happy.

The one thing that has always disappointed me about the mod community is the fact it is so Euro-centric. Other than NASCAR ,and a few very good Indycar mods, US series are not common. I've always wanted a good IMSA GTP mod. A lot of interesting cars there. When the FIA was restricting group C, IMSA was still wide open.

BTW Jason I like your avatar. Smoky, Jerry Carl at Ontario?

If you have GTR2, there is a mod which has both Group C and IMSA GTP with seasons 1983-1993, I believe a very strong conversion of VLM's PTC mod for F1Challenge. It's GTR2, so physics aren't on the same levels as some rFactor mods, however it still drives very nicely.

_________________
Alfaholic.



1999 German F3
1989 Italian Superturismo
Back to top Go down
Alberto Ibañez
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 14285
Age : 45
Location : Valencia - Spain
Registration date : 2010-09-17

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 11:45

Quote :
The one thing that has always disappointed me about the mod community is the fact it is so Euro-centric. Other than NASCAR ,and a few very good Indycar mods, US series are not common. I've always wanted a good IMSA GTP mod. A lot of interesting cars there. When the FIA was restricting group C, IMSA was still wide open.

IMSA was a really great series, but that variety also forces to create lots of different 3D models which in turn makes progress slower and such mods less attractive unless you are a real nut of the series and want to do it at all cost -like the VLM guys. Probably that is also a big reason why we don't see more american series. I'd really like to see a mod with the great IMSA GTO and GTU cars, but the amount of models would be staggering ...




_________________
"There are two kind of oval racers, those who have hit the wall and those who will hit it" - Mario Andretti

Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Mon 1 Jul 2013 - 22:51

Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Quote :
The one thing that has always disappointed me about the mod community is the fact it is so Euro-centric. Other than NASCAR ,and a few very good Indycar mods, US series are not common. I've always wanted a good IMSA GTP mod. A lot of interesting cars there. When the FIA was restricting group C, IMSA was still wide open.

IMSA was a really great series, but that variety also forces to create lots of different 3D models which in turn makes progress slower and such mods less attractive unless you are a real nut of the series and want to do it at all cost -like the VLM guys. Probably that is also a big reason why we don't see more american series. I'd really like to see a mod with the great IMSA GTO and GTU cars, but the amount of models would be staggering ...




IMSA would be fun to do, but we would need lots of time and many hands...

_________________
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Alessio Campigotto
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 1249
Age : 20
Location : UK
Registration date : 2011-12-29

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Tue 2 Jul 2013 - 19:03

Jason White wrote:
Alberto Ibañez wrote:
Quote :
The one thing that has always disappointed me about the mod community is the fact it is so Euro-centric. Other than NASCAR ,and a few very good Indycar mods, US series are not common. I've always wanted a good IMSA GTP mod. A lot of interesting cars there. When the FIA was restricting group C, IMSA was still wide open.

IMSA was a really great series, but that variety also forces to create lots of different 3D models which in turn makes progress slower and such mods less attractive unless you are a real nut of the series and want to do it at all cost -like the VLM guys. Probably that is also a big reason why we don't see more american series. I'd really like to see a mod with the great IMSA GTO and GTU cars, but the amount of models would be staggering ...




IMSA would be fun to do, but we would need lots of time and many hands...

Virtua_LM are supposedly going to include IMSA GTP with GTO and GTS too, although this could be by the time rFactor 3 is out :langue: 

_________________
Alfaholic.



1999 German F3
1989 Italian Superturismo
Back to top Go down
Guillaume Siebert
League Owner
avatar

Number of posts : 13569
Age : 31
Location : Paris, France
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Tue 2 Jul 2013 - 19:07

Jason White wrote:

IMSA would be fun to do, but we would need lots of time and many hands...

Depends on which year(s) you focus. 1986 was the best year imo, with Porsche, Jaguar, Corvette, Nissan, March, Ford, BMW all competitive at some point. I'm no 3D artist, but I suppose GTP cars should be easier to model than Indycars Smile

_________________
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Tue 2 Jul 2013 - 21:42

Guillaume Siebert wrote:
Jason White wrote:

IMSA would be fun to do, but we would need lots of time and many hands...

Depends on which year(s) you focus. 1986 was the best year imo, with Porsche, Jaguar, Corvette, Nissan, March, Ford, BMW all competitive at some point. I'm no 3D artist, but I suppose GTP cars should be easier to model than Indycars Smile

In theory, yes, they would be easier to model than the Indy cars, especially those with exposed engines. It would depend on how complicated the interiors would get, I guess...

_________________
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Robert Thurman
Rookie


Number of posts : 48
Age : 69
Location : california
Registration date : 2011-03-13

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Sat 6 Jul 2013 - 2:20

In case like this having a single interior for all cars is OK with me. But that's only my opinion. A good model-good paint and decent physics is what I look for.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Sun 11 Aug 2013 - 13:29

Any updates?
Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Sun 11 Aug 2013 - 13:34

Only one car left to model. Then I plan to circle back and go over each model with a fine toothed comb; cleaning surfaces, reducing poly in select places, etc.  Physics and mapping will hopefully follow that...

EDIT: All cars now modeled. Refinement of surfaces going on now. Eagles looking good Very Happy 

_________________


Last edited by Jason White on Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 14:17

Came across these great promo pics of the Patrick Eagles in early 1973. Later, they picked up STP sponsorship and switched to the iconic Day-glo red livery. I think this is the version I want to drive once we get the mod up and running. I love the lightning bolt graphic Very Happy 




_________________
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Mon 7 Oct 2013 - 14:40

Ok -- so here's my current plan:

Over Thanksgiving break and Christmas break, I'm going to go through each Alias model one more time, take out any details I deem extraneous (radii that don't add much visually, etc) and then re-assemble each model in 3DS Max 2010 (the version that has a GMT plugin).  Hopefully I will be able to get all the models below 50,000 polygons. At least that is the goal...

After that, I will put the new 3DS Max files up on the FTP. If someone could assist me in January with writing out the GMT files, that would be fantastic (JP, David, etc).  Then, hopefully, fingers crossed, we can start on the physics and actually drive these things What a Face 

I'm sorry this is taking so long. So many other things going on, but I am determined to see this through Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 16:50

Entire race in one vid. Nice.


_________________
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Richard Coxon
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13378
Age : 31
Location : Sheffield, England
Registration date : 2012-06-29

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 18:19

Watched this yesterday, Awful accident that happened to Swede, Started reading up on him and found some stuff about his care in the hospital may not have been up to scratch.

_________________

Back to top Go down
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Wed 20 Nov 2013 - 18:25

Yeah. Apparently he contracted Hepatitis B from a bad blood transfusion, and his liver failed. Very sad.

_________________
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
Jason White
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 13990
Age : 41
Location : Ferndale, MI USA
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Tue 26 Nov 2013 - 20:12

Wink 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Indianapolis-500-film-Fire-And-Rain-on-DVD-/221323513310?pt=US_Racing_Fan_Shop&hash=item3387e8cdde

_________________
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/misterjasonwhite/
David Sabre
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 4084
Age : 48
Location : england
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Wed 27 Nov 2013 - 13:04

The challenge of Indy - The Indianapolis 500 : 1964 & 1973
Is this DVD worth getting ?
Back to top Go down
Frank Verplanken
League Owner
avatar

Number of posts : 11663
Age : 43
Location : Nice, France
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Wed 27 Nov 2013 - 13:21

I have it yes it's decent enough Wink

_________________
Thou shalt not train.
Back to top Go down
http://historicsimracing.org/en/index
Ben Paulet
Racing Legend
avatar

Number of posts : 8011
Age : 44
Location : Cagnes sur mer France
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   Wed 27 Nov 2013 - 13:25

But it's less fun than the big Lebowski. geek 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: 1973 USAC Indy mod WIP   

Back to top Go down
 
1973 USAC Indy mod WIP
Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Historic Simracing Organisation :: General Discussion :: Paddock :: Mods-
Jump to: